Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

R.I.P. Bob Hoover - One of Aviations Greatest

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for posting.

I've been going to the Reno Air Races for well over 35 years, and I remember watching Bob Hoover fly a variety of aircraft over that time frame

He was such a great pilot, and although I never met him, he had the reputation of being a fine Gentleman.

"Blue Sky's to Bob!"

Bill Clark

Bob finally gets the wings he doesn't have to strap on.   RIP Mr. Hoover.  We've lost yet another aviation legend this year.  :sad:

I always loved his energy management demo where he'd put the Shrike in a dive, shut down the engines, do several aerobatic maneuvers, land, and park the plane exactly where he started the show.  That always amazed me. 

R.I.P. Mr. Hoover. A legend gone. There was a chap who knew what energy management was all about. He'll be teaching the angels a thing or two!

:hi:   :drinks:

Indeed, Waltzing Matilda. I was lucky enough to talk with him for a brief moment in 1969 at an airshow in Wheaton, Illinois. I've never seen anything that even comes close to what he could do with the Shrike. The ultimate pilot. RIP Bob.

Doug

• Upvote 1

I will never forget the video of Bob pouring a glass of Iced Tea while inverted in a 1G loop.  Best pilot ever.

Probably the most brilliant "stick and rudder" pilot of all time and as previously stated, by all accounts a truly wonderful human being. A quiet legend. Blue skies Bob. Thank you for defending our freedoms, pushing the envelope of flight and above all, providing us with a wonderful role model...American%20Flag.gifAmerican%20Flag.gifAmerican%20Flag.gif

wonderful role model.

Perhaps "Roll" model! That engine out routine is still incredible to watch, there was nothing like that.