Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

REX Worldwide Airports HD Released - Bitmap resolution?

Our (now proven) collective ability to crash servers on day one of any given release might suggest that we are not quite the 'minority niche' that people take us for?  :ph34r2: 

• Upvote 4

I was almost buying the product when I read it only replace the default texture, as I only fly to non default airports, this product don't make any sense to me, wanted to know if someone tried it with another custom airport.

It shouldn't work with custom airports. That would be a vey bad thing too.

One other thing to note. Where the new textures are displayed it's a shimmerfest unless you're able to run sgss (which I haven't got the horsepower for). Many of the new vehicles "sparkle" from a distance and some of the textures for the buildings feature multitudes of thin vertical lines which play havoc as you approach them. Some of the alternative textures will be less prone to that I suspect.

Oh boy... I am glad I read this. I was already in doubt but if this is true (and it sounds quite logical) I am out for now. (Until maybe I have a new PC.)

My friends,

Just a few answers to your questions.

1. Worldwide Airports HD replaces default textures for airports, thus the only thing that will change are textures at default airports. Custom airport textures are not effected.

2. Those who know me, know that I advise, consult, advise, test and work with a number of leading developers, but like you I am a consumer, not a developer. Where the REX Server is concerned, someone correctly pointed out that downloads are often problematic the first several hours after a product is released regardless of who the developer is, and within 6 to 24 hours the demand reduces to where there is not a problem downloading.

While we'd all like to get our product immediately, we must also understand both the level of demand in those first (usually 5 to 12 hours) how costly server time/bandwidth really is - many wouldn't believe how high the cost is!

The math simple really... to pay for increased server costs, developers would have to charge more money for their products - and all for the first 24 hours of usage. While I'm sure there are some who would purchase products at a higher price, companies like REX strive to keep their products at a price that is affordable for everyone - and I can personally tell you that they work VERY HARD to do this.

Thanks for your time, and my very best wishes to.

• Upvote 5

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am told that if you purchase this from other retailers like FS Pilot shop, you can download it in about 10 minutes.  http://www.fspilotshop.com/rex-worldwide-airports-for-fsx-p3d-p-6383.html?utm_campaign=161005&utm_medium=email&utm_source=PilotShop&osCsid=gr5q73ps4kigbdjhsm61j8do11

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am told that if you purchase this from other retailers like FS Pilot shop, you can download it in about 10 minutes.  http://www.fspilotshop.com/rex-worldwide-airports-for-fsx-p3d-p-6383.html?utm_campaign=161005&utm_medium=email&utm_source=PilotShop&osCsid=gr5q73ps4kigbdjhsm61j8do11

Also from SimMarket.

Cheers, Ed

My friends,

1. Worldwide Airports HD replaces default textures for airports, thus the only thing that will change are textures at default airports. Custom airport textures are not effected.

2. Those who know me, know that I advise, consult, advise, test and work with a number of leading developers, but like you I am a consumer, not a developer. Where the REX Server is concerned, someone correctly pointed out that downloads are often problematic the first several hours after a product is released regardless of who the developer is, and within 6 to 24 hours the demand reduces to where there is not a problem downloading.

While we'd all like to get our product immediately, we must also understand both the level of demand in those first (usually 5 to 12 hours) how costly server time/bandwidth really is - many wouldn't believe how high the cost is!

The math simple really... to pay for increased server costs, developers would have to charge more money for their products - and all for the first 24 hours of usage. While I'm sure there are some who would purchase products at a higher price, companies like REX strive to keep their products at a price that is affordable for everyone - and I can personally tell you that they work VERY HARD to do this.

Very, very true!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Same with the FSS where I bought REX products before.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Watched the launch stream last weekend. Got a bit excited, then realized I have never flown into a default airport. Ever. Hence money saved here.

My friends,

As an IT professional (40+ years) I support your post in terms of REX trying to keep their deployment costs as low as possible so it is not reflected in the product.

However it does make me wonder why 3rd party stores can deploy this at the same price as REX with zero problems.

My friend got frustrated with downloading the files and REX's download manager showing all files 100% downloaded but then getting errors in installation because the files were incomplete (same problem many others have had including me).

He ended up buying the product again from FSS and had everything downloaded fast and without any problems.

If you are consulting to these Developers then may I suggest you advise them of the bad PR that stems from problems like these.

Having run an IT company that deploy's file sizes in the 100's of GB;s in mission critical environments I believe that it can be done in a cost effective manner with cloud deployment partners that can scale up automatically to meet demand using load balancing and sharing and global CDN's and caching . (Amazon and Rackspace coming to mind).

In Rex's case their own servers were failing to meet the demand of people trying to access their support forums to investigate how to resolve the problems they were having which is a double whammy.

I'm a fan of REX software and appreciate their fair pricing (and have posted as such) but we can't accept as consumers that this is good practice in today's age.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if anyone noticed (in so called meantime) that none of the so called "enhanced" by default airports were corrected by REX

http://www.simtours.net/highdetailairports.php

This list seems to include the airports which got extra touch from ACES (and years ago looked good). 

Unfortunately, REX Worldwide Airports HD does not touch terminal buildings of airports from this list. That is a HUGE let down to me as it was not clearly said anywhere it won't (or at least I didn't find such information). :( 

My friends,

Good points Dave and reasonable as always. My only point of disagreement is that REX took numerous steps to increase demand on the product, including the Twitch stream etc. That all shows very good business sense. But as the owner of a small business myself, creating demand that you are unprepared to readily meet is not good business sense. Violating expectations to the downside isn't good for their brand. I love their brand. So this creates frustration for me.

And now that I've had my first two cups of coffee I'm ready to chill out and wait a day or two.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Good morning. Would be interesting if someone already bought it and can give a short review :-)

I'm that sucker.

P3D v3.4.9

Installation was painless. "First run" guide is very well done, explaining everything thoroughly and simply. Two choices in textures: Standard and HD. Mystery as to what the resolutions are.

Duplicates some features which are already included in REX Texture Direct or the various flavors of REX Essential.

If you have updated AFCADs (like from the AVSIM library) which contain their own objects you probably won't notice a difference in the airport. Same with the Orbx freeware packs. Only if the default airport uses default objects (biuldings, vehicles, etc) will you notice anything.

I had a credit at FSS and previously bought REX Essential Overdrive there so was entitled to the 20% loyalty offer. Given what I've seen so far ..... I would not spend $30US on this, or even $24US.

Just my 2 cents.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Our (now proven) collective ability to crash servers on day one of any given release might suggest that we are not quite the 'minority niche' that people take us for?  :ph34r2:

Wrong assumption. We are a minority niche. How many copies do you think have been sold so far? It's our developers' servers who are often inadequate to support the predictable load on day 1. Do this in a bigger gamer community and you'll see.

Hi,

Rex released WW Airport textures for default airports.

They advertise: Experience airports in TRUE high definition...

What is TRUE HD? As far as I know....1080p

I have searched high and low (web site, manual, etc) but couldn't find any info about the texture resolutions.

Does anyone know what it is? Their application has HD and SD setting:

• SD = 1024x1024 px?
  • HD = 2048x2048 px?

I'm only interested if HD is not 4096 because of increased VAS usage.

EDIT:

One more question....

The default P3D airport texture resolution, is that 512 or 1024 px?

HD are 4096 x 4096.  Standard are 1024 x 1024.  There should not be a VAS issue with the HD, but that is dependent on several factors.  1.) Type of system, 2.) Number of processes running on your machine (which I recommend IOBit Game Optimizer or something like that.  3.) Other add-ons and settings with your flight sim.  If you are maxed on ALL those, then I recommend use Standard.

Does anyone know if this adds additional buildings or just repaints the existing ones?

Forgive me if this had been answered by anyone else.  We do not presently add any additional buildings to the airports.  We just change the default textures of the buildings in place.  We do change out about 9 of the default 3D vehicle models - with more to come in the next update.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I just purchased and yet to install, but what Im hearing is that the textures dont apply to even AFCAD / ADE altered files from the AVSIM library? That sucks

I've successfully downloaded and installed this product but first impressions aren't good. It's clearly installed some of the options so somethings worked but despite having select high definition textures the buildings at default airports still look terrible and nothing like the screenshots. Unfortunately I can't access the support forum for some reason but if I were you I'd hang fire to see whats going on, at the moment this is not living up to my expectations!

Not to sound rude here, but it is easy to say this, but I would like to see what you are seeing in sim in compared to default.  If you are expecting a FULL 3rd party airport with custom ramps and traffic, then yes you are not going to see that.  But what we have communicated all this time is it is a replacement of the original building textures as well as replacement of key 3D vehicle models.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com