Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

ORBX XP11: What are your predictions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dayum. I heard they stopped supporting PayPal as an option. I don't think I'll buy anything if they don't allow us to use PayPal.

Smart decision. 

XP actually has the engine to do some of the things they've only wished about in P3D. 

• Upvote 2

Oh come on folks, why all of a sudden are we perpetuating hearsay and drama?  We just got off PayPalGate, now this?

Honestly, I think John is just trying to drum up business right now, so he can restore people's confidence in his company. 

I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't sitting right here in front of me, staring me in the face, then take it with a grain of salt.  IF what he says, becomes a reality and we actually see all the sims go 64-bit next year, I'll eat my hat.

• Upvote 3

Seems

It feels good to be right, even if it may take 4 years:

So true. 

Well...they should offer a position immediately to Mr. X, and a couple of others that have created XP airports that match, or even surpass the 3rdP content standards that Orbx has made their distinctive mark.

The first thing (IMHO) they need to make, is what they did for FSX and P3D...world-wide graphics (their Global product), then world-wide, or continent-wide LandClass.

After that...specific regions and airports

I can only imagine what XP11 could be converted to. One thing they don't need to re-invent...is night lights.  That engine is quite alive and well.

• Upvote 3

After deprecating X-Plane for so long, I'd be astonished if Orbx enters this market.

Not sure we really need it either, given advancements in X-Plane like the HD & UHD terrain mesh, OSM roads and buildings in default scenery, and what can be done with free Ortho scenery generation. Maybe there's a market for conversions of their small jewel box GA airports, but I'm not sure there would be interest in anything large scale.

Orbx was also an announced partner of DTG for their new flight sim. Since that's a major selling point, I imagine DTG wouldn't be too happy with them working on X-Plane scenery as well. Then again, that project has gone dark recently and we don't know what the status is.

• Upvote 6

he first thing (IMHO) they need to make, is what they did for FSX and P3

Not sure that I see it the same way. Look at Europe LC, this is hardly better than stock FSX. Global is quite ok, but still much better in some areas than in others. I'd rather see them do a full region first to showcase what they can. Then build on a modular system, like mesh+ortho+autogen and so on. I'd also prefer to pay for individual modules or maybe a subscription model (which may be unattractive for folks with not so perfect internet connections though).

We'll see. Most likely it's XP11.5 before they get really started. 

• Upvote 1

Oh come on folks, why all of a sudden are we perpetuating hearsay and drama?  We just got off PayPalGate, now this?

Honestly, I think John is just trying to drum up business right now, so he can restore people's confidence in his company. 

I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't sitting right here in front of me, staring me in the face, then take it with a grain of salt.  IF what he says, becomes a reality and we actually see all the sims go 64-bit next year, I'll eat my hat.

That's not that far-fetched. 

3 of the 4 are already 64 bit (I'm not even including FSX in this conversation). So if P3Dv4 is 64 bit as all hinting seems to suggest, all four platforms still in development will be 64 bit. 

After deprecating X-Plane for so long, I'd be astonished if Orbx enters this market.

Not sure we really need it either, given advancements in X-Plane like the HD & UHD terrain mesh, OSM roads and buildings in default scenery, and what can be done with free Ortho scenery generation. Maybe there's a market for conversions of their small jewel box GA airports, but I'm not sure there would be interest in anything large scale.

Orbx was also an announced partner of DTG for their new flight sim. Since that's a major selling point, I imagine DTG wouldn't be too happy with them working on X-Plane scenery as well. Then again, that project has gone dark recently and we don't know what the status is.

It'd depend on just how much they can improve upon the default scenery without breaking what's so good about it. The coloring and textures that make up scenery could use an upgrade if it's possible and it would be nice to see better defined land-class within the 3D plausible world. More regionalized (and simply more variety everywhere) autogen and seasons are also needed.  

I recognize that XP does things differently, so what's possible and what's not is a bit fuzzy to me. But for those of us who fly in the US where OSM (building) data isn't that great and don't really like straight photo scenery, a way to improve the plausible world generation would be welcomed. 

• Upvote 3

Given the huge resources of Orbx compared to other X-Plane scenery developers, maybe they could make a global texture replacement (the equivalent of FTX global, but adapted to X-Plane OSM based scenery) introducing at the same time the 4 seasonal texture variations.

• Upvote 1

That's not that far-fetched. 

3 of the 4 are already 64 bit (I'm not even including FSX in this conversation). So if P3Dv4 is 64 bit as all hinting seems to suggest, all four platforms still in development will be 64 bit. 

Sorry man, but unless there is tangible and undeniable proof, I'd toss it over my shoulder.  There have been vague hints from LM about a 64-bit platform for far too long so I wouldn't expect them to release anything that drastic too soon, and DTG has had to delay their 64-bit sim.  Aerofly, yes, I'll give you that as well as XP, but I'm trying to figure out the third flight simulator, unless you are speculating it will be ORBX producing their own, which would be a stretch.

Sorry man, but unless there is tangible and undeniable proof, I'd toss it over my shoulder.  There have been vague hints from LM about a 64-bit platform for far too long so I wouldn't expect them to release anything that drastic too soon, and DTG has had to delay their 64-bit sim.  Aerofly, yes, I'll give you that as well as XP, but I'm trying to figure out the third flight simulator, unless you are speculating it will be ORBX producing their own, which would be a stretch.

DTG is already 64 bit, regardless of their delays. XP11 is 64 bit. Aerofly is 64bit. 

That's 3 of the 4. 

P3D is the only one left that's 32bit. I've seen enough hints dropped in the past month by developers and streamers/testers under NDAs to be pretty confident that P3Dv4 will be 64bit and it will be out in 2017. 

Look at the starting letter of each project. It's a dead giveaway. That wasn't an accident. 

• Upvote 3

Well...they should offer a position immediately to Mr. X, and a couple of others that have created XP airports that match, or even surpass the 3rdP content standards that Orbx has made their distinctive mark.

The first thing (IMHO) they need to make, is what they did for FSX and P3D...world-wide graphics (their Global product), then world-wide, or continent-wide LandClass.

After that...specific regions and airports

I can only imagine what XP11 could be converted to. One thing they don't need to re-invent...is night lights. That engine is quite alive and well.

I absolutely don't hope they will bring their generic scenery to XP. I am done with ground textures with baked in houses that get run through by roads and are cut of near water. None of that in XP, please. Some of their airports, with photoreal, may look good in XP although some XP freeware really is at the same level already. After getting used to it the softer colors of XP look more real than the full colors of Orbx, as nice as they are on their own. I wonder if I would buy any of the current addons for XP. I think the ONLY scenery addons that may sell well for XP, apart from airports, would be photor al regions with accurately and realistically placed buildings on it. Anything less than that and you are better off creating it yourself for free.

And btw for those who are still guessing... the project names speak for themselves already. Not much guessing left to do.

• Upvote 11

It'd depend on just how much they can improve upon the default scenery without breaking what's so good about it. The coloring and textures that make up scenery could use an upgrade if it's possible and it would be nice to see better defined land-class within the 3D plausible world. More regionalized (and simply more variety everywhere) autogen and seasons are also needed.  

I recognize that XP does things differently, so what's possible and what's not is a bit fuzzy to me. But for those of us who fly in the US where OSM (building) data isn't that great, a way to improve the plausible world generation would be welcomed. 

If someone were to get down to the exact science of how these textures could be replicated to emulate real life, it would take some serious analysis and data.  For example, on a bright, sunny day during the summer, you can get some very deep and rich coloring from the ground, deep greens of the grass to deep blues of the sky, but then you switch to a dreary overcast day, everything can look muted.  All of that is based on air quality, temperature, humidity.  If that can be calculated automatically, say within a weather program, then perhaps the rosetta stone is found, but changing the colors of base textures would only suit a certain condition of a given day during a given season.  That's a lot of data to crunch if we were to get scenery and weather to play nice together and adjust themselves accordingly.

For me personally, I'm just happy with how the core XP sim operates with no OOMs or any other anomaly that ruins a good flight.

• Upvote 1

Dayum. I heard they stopped supporting PayPal as an option. I don't think I'll buy anything if they don't allow us to use PayPal.

Don't believe everything you hear.

I absolutely don't hope they will bring their generic scenery to XP. I am done with ground textures with baked in houses that get run through by roads and are cut of near water.

Definitely bothersome. That's why I stop looking at the ground. Funny thing, though, I keep stalling all of the aircraft that I fly...

If someone were to get down to the exact science of how these textures could be replicated to emulate real life, it would take some serious analysis and data.  For example, on a bright, sunny day during the summer, you can get some very deep and rich coloring from the ground, deep greens of the grass to deep blues of the sky, but then you switch to a dreary overcast day, everything can look muted.  All of that is based on air quality, temperature, humidity.  If that can be calculated automatically, say within a weather program, then perhaps the rosetta stone is found, but changing the colors of base textures would only suit a certain condition of a given day during a given season.

Very good point, Jim. I think you're onto what the nextgen of sims should look like (figuratively and literally).

I'd like to remember the immortal prophecy by John Veneema himself that "X-Plane has no future".

You have to read his statements in a context, quote:

"In the interview, John repeats his commitment that they won’t develop for xplane, due to its small user base and expense of gearing up the team for a different sim. He does voice admiration for xplane and its small team of developers though, a nice touch." April 27, 2014.

I'm still very skeptical it will be anything more than airports. I see a few problems:

• Their landclass tile approach won't work in X-Plane. I don't think X-Planers are going to accept roads running through houses and off cliffs and stretched mountain textures.
  • They would be competing with freeware than can already place photoscenery and accurate buildings for most of Europe.
  • A global mesh or vector product is a waste of time when we already have HD and UHD Mesh.
  • JV hates X-Plane, but I would still like to see him eat his own shoes.
  • They would be writing scenery to directly compete with their partners. With DTG's business model compared to LR, why would anyone bother buying DTG's sim when you can get ORBX scenery in X-Plane?

If they go down the scenery route then perhaps it will be adding new types of autogen or trying to regionalise the textures, but the objects would not line up like they do in X-Plane with out putting some real effort into it, basically you'd need to write your own scenery system.

I hope I'm wrong of course, I'd really love and have always wanted to see ORBX in X-Plane.

flightgear 64 bit

Think you are on to something there ;-)

• Upvote 4

You guys are going to have to think outside the box a bit. Who said anything about them just porting over ground textures and roads running off cliffs? 

You realize half the stuff Orbx does in FSX/P3D people once said was impossible to do, right? JV may be a bit of a jerk, but he's innovative. Having someone like that developing for XP can only be a good thing. 

As for "competing," they already do that with P3D and FSX/DTG. P3D has no affiliation to DTG. 

Not everyone lives in Europe and wants to download terabytes of photo scenery. If Orbx is willing to attempt to improve the general plausible world, I'm happy about that. 

• Upvote 7

Not everyone lives in Europe and wants to download terabytes of photo scenery. If Orbx is willing to attempt to improve the general plausible world, I'm happy about that. 

Well I live in Europe but would love to see someone give Asia, Australia and NZ some love. Looks like this won't happen any time soon though. I'm certainly happy for anyone to improve the X-Plane world though, and ORBX would be the one to do it

• Upvote 2