Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

ORBX XP11: What are your predictions?

You have to read his statements in a context, quote:

"In the interview, John repeats his commitment that they won’t develop for xplane, due to its small user base and expense of gearing up the team for a different sim. He does voice admiration for xplane and its small team of developers though, a nice touch." April 27, 2014.

Actually the quote was...

John Venema: "X-Plane has no future. It’s not a good sim, nor does it have a large enough customer base to make it worth our while. It performs really poorly on hardware with settings maxxed out, unlike FSX which now screams along with new Intel and nVidia hardware."

Actually the quote was...

John Venema: "X-Plane has no future. It’s not a good sim, nor does it have a large enough customer base to make it worth our while. It performs really poorly on hardware with settings maxxed out, unlike FSX which now screams along with new Intel and nVidia hardware."

LOL, that might be the most intentionally ignorant statement I have every read. Good bait.

• Upvote 3

Key words - "IT WILL BE 64-bit", "and IT'S 64-bit" A, D, P, X, O

Project X-Plane ? "Oh, and it's 64-bit". X-plane is already 64-bit and so is Aerofly. Maybe he forgot Aerofly is 64-bit since Project A sounds more like a Aerofly.

Projects:

A-erofly

D-ovetails

P-3D

X-Plane

O-rbx, I guess...

This is exciting ! I am looking fwd to some X-plane regional scenery !

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

The "ORBX thrashers" on this forum are hilarious!! (Yes I'm an ORBX fan.....Lol)

I can't believe there is so much negative back and forth about what developer is better for whatever reason. Can we at least agree that everyone who helps make something for our cool little "make believe" simulator world whether it's Aerosoft, P3D, ORBX,PMDG, X-Plane, A2A, Aerofly,Dovetail,ect. Is doing us a favor by even attempting to keep our very small hobby alive by making products and giving us many to choose from.

Us simmers are lucky to even have so many different choices of what we want in our Sims.

So what if John Venema said X-Plane had "no future" Mabey he was wrong, Mabey he'll still be right, Mabey he'll eat his words and develope for them who knows and who cares just be happy that we will have a hobby and that many out there are doing great work to make it better for us.

Don't be a hammerhead and start talking like you know what's best for what company, they will do what they have to do, sometimes it will be awesome sometimes not, so be it

Cheers

Greg Z

As said by many in various forums...they're opinions.  OrbX thrashers?  Didn't John "thrash" X-Plane??  A flight simulator people spent good money on.  You don't think turnabouts fair play?  How do you think people feel when a "respected" developer has a negative opinion on a flight sim that some people actually like?  

When I first read what John said about X-Plane, I laughed so hard, I nearly lost my breakfast.  They were truly words from an ignorant man who is seriously detached from what was really going on in the flight sim community as a whole.

The X-Plane forums were DEAD up until the end of X Plane 9 (Some time around 2011.  Then XP10 came out, and more people started posting topics in these forums.  Now, not a day goes by where there aren't several new topics posted.

No future?  I was laughing at his comments then, and I'm laughing at them now.  Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  But his opinion really came back to bite him.

• Upvote 7

While I don't plan to purchase anything from them again, I think in the end the X-Plane  community could benefit from ORBX doning stuff for XP indirectly, because it will definitely drag more folks over which in return might make other developers step in.

• Upvote 2

As said by many in various forums...they're opinions.  OrbX thrashers?  Didn't John "thrash" X-Plane??  A flight simulator people spent good money on.  You don't think turnabouts fair play?  How do you think people feel when a "respected" developer has a negative opinion on a flight sim that some people actually like?  

When I first read what John said about X-Plane, I laughed so hard, I nearly lost my breakfast.  They were truly words from an ignorant man who is seriously detached from what was really going on in the flight sim community as a whole.

The X-Plane forums were DEAD up until the end of X Plane 9 (Some time around 2011.  Then XP10 came out, and more people started posting topics in these forums.  Now, not a day goes by where there aren't several new topics posted.

No future?  I was laughing at his comments then, and I'm laughing at them now.  Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  But his opinion really came back to bite him.

The ORBX thrashers are funny to me that's all, but so are the FSX thrashers,P3D thrashers and X-Plane thrashers, yes they are opinions and I have no problem with it, it's just funny to me because we're talking about flight simulation.

I respect John Venema but I don't really care if he doesn't like something,I own almost all the flight sims and have a mind of my own to judge if I feel they are for me or not, but if others want to break out their tiny violins and cry about what he thinks then that's fine too.

I'm not arguing to say he's right or wrong. I own X-plane, P3D, FSX, DCS world and blah blah blah and I love that I have choice to use what ever I want, they all have something fun and interesting to offer.

I choose mostly to use ORBX products because I love what have made my sim into ( I'm mostly an FSX DX10 user, it works the best for me) I don't use them because I think John Venema is a God.

We all say things we wish we could take back, I know I certainly have and I'm sure you have too, but give the guy a break, who cares what he said about X-Plane. He runs a company that makes one hell of a product, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Greg Z

• Upvote 1

He's old enough, smart enough and been in the business long enough to know better than to stick his foot in his mouth in a public forum.  

He's old enough, smart enough and been in the business long enough to know better than to stick his foot in his mouth in a public forum.  

nonsense ! people make opinions based on facts available at the time and facts were 3 years a go X-plane sucked b$lls ,

if some one (any one not just john ven ) predicted at that time x-plane has no future it was with data available at THAT time and MANY would have agreed to it ! (and the great anal nature of austin myers dint help shape the future much ) .

i cant believe a developer sporting such tribalism , i am very new to the X-plane world and boy the one common thing among the other platforms and X-plane is that both have ample tribalism well developed for themselves :/

• Upvote 1

These are interesting times for Orbx. In 2016 they lost a few of their core developers. Just in case you wondered, a lot of their releases are by third parties under the Orbx banner, other distributors do the same, like Aerosoft and Just Flight.

But the third parties that broke off from Orbx are responsible for some of the largest and most detailed scenery, Turbulent Designs comes to mind, and they are now associated with Keystone GMes and have promised scenery for FSX, P3D and XPlane.

Orbx also broke off the relationship with FSSs who were responsible for distributing the products to the market and set up their own shop, and appear to have upset some of their core customers with new restrictions and rules.

So Orbx needs to reset their identity. I believe what we are seeing is new directions needed by their business model to survive in the future. If you don't innovate and entice customers, they will leave. 2017 will be an interesting year.

• Upvote 1

Guest Mik75

It remarkable.

Many people don't seem to be overly interested in ways to make their XP install look amazing for practically free, but as soon as ORBX make a vague statement, people go crazy! ;-)

I don't think that we (at least not me, personally) need them, with so many talented people in our community, creating so many beautiful things, and with ways to produce our own breathtakingly beautiful photo scenery (even featuring extremely dense and regional autogen and XPX's fantastic night lighting as well)! But it won't hurt either. ;-)

In the meantime, you could spend some money and donate a few bucks (or more) to the people that create the extraordinary free-/ donationware for X-Plane.

We'll see what time brings...

nonsense ! people make opinions based on facts available at the time and facts were 3 years a go X-plane sucked b$lls ,

if some one (any one not just john ven ) predicted at that time x-plane has no future it was with data available at THAT time and MANY would have agreed to it ! (and the great anal nature of austin myers dint help shape the future much ) .

i cant believe a developer sporting such tribalism , i am very new to the X-plane world and boy the one common thing among the other platforms and X-plane is that both have ample tribalism well developed for themselves :/

If we all saw the future for a platform based on data at the time and not on future potential then I doubt anyone would have supported P3D past it's first version.

Vision, not anal nature, is what drives a product up. In this case, those with anal nature as you say were proven right and Venema was proven very short sighted indeed.

• Upvote 4

I believe one of Orbx's major contributions to XP11 scenery will finally be the snow, not necesarily the textures ( seasonal ) but it's procedural deposition according to other factors.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If we all saw the future for a platform based on data at the time and not on future potential then I doubt anyone would have supported P3D past it's first version.

Vision, not anal nature, is what drives a product up. In this case, those with anal nature as you say were proven right and Venema was proven very short sighted indeed.

vision or foresight has an equal probability to go 'either' berserk or 'all good', its probability, if it all goes well like in this case; x-plane seeming like it has a great future, then everyones happy,

if things go wrong then well...  all ppl go crzy ......

My point is ; NOBODY should be held accoutable for predicting the future wrongly, foresight vision or call it what you want , it may all go wrong.

in JVs case his prediction went wrong, Great for us we can now make comments on his moral standards on forums, while they go on to make 6 figures and entertain a lot of ppl with their wonderful products !

AANd yes i was outta line saying that about austin ! he seems like an honest fellow who is a great developer , :D i enjoy his sim !

vision or foresight has an equal probability to go 'either' berserk or 'all good', its probability, if it all goes well like in this case; x-plane seeming like it has a great future, then everyones happy,

if things go wrong then well...  all ppl go crzy ......

My point is ; NOBODY should be held accoutable for predicting the future wrongly, foresight vision or call it what you want , it may all go wrong.

in JVs case his prediction went wrong, Great for us we can now make comments on his moral standards on forums, while they go on to make 6 figures and entertain a lot of ppl with their wonderful products !AANd yes i was outta line saying that about austin ! he seems like an honest fellow who is a great developer , :D i enjoy his sim !

Totally disagree with you.

If a developer believes he is clever enough to go on a public forum and make a statement about a platform of course he can be held accountable for his views one way or another, why wouldn't he be??

He made a silly statement and he is looking rather silly right now, but in a commercial world, you don't succeed by betting on what is here and now but by investing on what looks good today with a future for tomorrow. Venema could learn from a lot of developers in this sense but that is his problem to address.

I am guessing he learnt his lesson, for the sake of his company's future I certainly hope so.

• Upvote 6