Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[21JAN17] PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II - More Release Info

I think A2A once made the mistake of announcing the exact time the release would go out (I think it was the P-40 if memory serves)...D'OH! Server crash (It was kinda funny really)....after that they gave a more 'vague' announcement...ie 'sometime this week', which worked out much better.

Can you imagine if PMDG said 'The Queen will be released at XX:XX time on DD/MM/YY, what would happen to the PMDG and Avsim servers? LOL  A true virtual version of one of those crazy black Friday mall scenes  :P 

Cheers

TJ

Well, as long as we are digging up flightsim release snafus, how about when PMDG released their first 744 (somewhere around 2005/2006).  The forum traffic was so heavy that the Avsim forums crashed entirely.  I cannot remember exactly, but it seems like they were off line for a couple of days.  Good times :-)

Andrew Jones

Dear Mr Randazzo or any informed PMDG admins.

I've read around and can't seem to find info on which AIRAC the 747V3 will be released with. Please could you inform me of which AIRAC?

Thank in Advance  :friends:

Dear Mr Randazzo or any informed PMDG admins.

I've read around and can't seem to find info on which AIRAC the 747V3 will be released with. Please could you inform me of which AIRAC?

Thank in Advance  :friends:

I do not speak for PMDG, but typically, a new PMDG release will include the current AIRAC for the moment when the product is released.

Andrew Jones

Is there a way to make the PMDG General Forum here auto refresh every minute :)

• Upvote 2

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I do not speak for PMDG, but typically, a new PMDG release will include the current AIRAC for the moment when the product is released.

That was a rapid response.

I'm sure the 737NGX and 777 both have AIRAC 1309 though, and they certainly weren't released at the same time.

That was a rapid response.

I'm sure the 737NGX and 777 both have AIRAC 1309 though, and they certainly weren't released at the same time.

Yep. They share the same database, so the last aircraft you installed -- with the latest AIRAC -- will provide the AIRAC used in all your PMDG jets.

Expect the 747 to update your 777 / 737 databases as well.

Does it  really matter if it  does  which it  will in any case  be the latest, than in a months  time  it will be  out of  date,  best bet  is  to get  a subscription to either navigraph  or  navpro   to update  your  nav  data  each month

• Upvote 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just for the fun of it, I went back and checked, and discovered that I was mistaken.  RSR was a bit more cryptic with the 777 release than I recalled, and here is a link to his post, in which he provided a 7-day release window, with a probable release during the weekend:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/417186-26aug13-welcome-to-777-release-week/?hl=%20welcome%20%20release%20%20day

Here is the relevant part [bELOW IS A QUOTE FROM A VERY OLD POST THAT DOES NOT RELATE TO THE 744]:

"Here are the important things you will want to know:

1) We are currently working a dozen or so small items that will not prevent release. 

2) We are currently evaluating one item that has the potential to hold up a release. 

3) We are in a "day-to-day" decision making mode whereby we evaluate the fitness of the product and decide if we feel it is ready for release, or if we should continue to hold it for further review. 

4) Right now, the "Circle Error Probable" (you mathematicians and fellow Cold War relics will understand that reference. B) )on release is about seven days wide, starting Wednesday morning.

5) Given #4 above, that tells me we are likely releasing during the coming weekend.

6) If ANYTHING pops up in testing that we think requires resolution prior to release, we will do so.  Even if that means a significant delay...  We evaluate such items based entirely in the risk that they negatively impact the usability of the product- so if the risk is high, we will hold...   (I'll come back and let you know if this happens, however!)"

Yes, and doesn't anyone remember the dozens of new threads from end users asking about the NGX release...then they just dropped it on us and the servers crashed?? I'm not a moron. I was one of those hitting F5 every five minutes when it was NGX time. Same with the T7. Sure, there was that cryptic post from RSR about CEP and all that. But we were never given "it will be released between x and x." That was my point is all...

We didn't get really any advance notice about the NGX and only a "Welcome to Release Week" for the T7.

No criticism at all for PMDG here. They do what they want because they can.

As far as I remember this was not the case.

IIRC for both releases they gave us a "time window" with a particular date in mind (something like "we're aiming for 02FEB17") some days before, and when the day came, the aircrafts were released.

I even have this vague memory of the NGX actually taking some hours to be released and people starting to get... nervous... as the projected date was ending. :P

Not picking on you...really I'm not...with the 777 we were given a "week" and it released in that time frame. The NGX was largely silent. The August 2, 3, 4, 2011 frenzy was quite interesting then they released it without announcement and crashed both AVSIM and their own servers. I remember that evening as the NGX was probably the most anticipated addon to that point in the history of flight simmming. Remember the supposed DDOS attack?? Anyway. Fun times. Great learning for PMDG certainly.

• Upvote 1

It all just goes to show what an important role this one little company has come to play in our community over all these years.  All this talk got me thinking back to the release of the PMDG 777 for Fly! way back in 2000.  The technology and possibilities have changed so much since then.  What has not changed is the loyal customers sitting in the forum, begging for info, and punching the refresh button over and over while waiting for the plane to go live.  The only difference is that there are a lot more fans now than there were back then (and of course the download time was a whole lot longer).  How far we have come, and how much grayer our hair has gotten.  Somehow through much of my adult life, there have been very few things that really reminded me deep down of what it feels like to be a kid (at least in the sense of the agonizing but wonderful way kids anticipate and obsess over a long expected new toy), than a pending PMDG release.  Thanks for not letting me grow up completely PMDG, of course my wife might beg to differ :-)

Andrew Jones

Just got this at PMDG Store: getting closer!!

NOTAM: 28JAN17 -.0340Z

The PMDG eCommerce site is offline temporarily while we effect upgrades for the upcoming release of the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II. (It is NOT releasing right now.... relax!)

This site will be offline for a few moments, please return in about :20!

We apologize for any inconvenience this outage causes you- but please come back once we are up and running once again!

PMDG

Your patience is appreciated!

PMDG Technical Support

UPS123.png

have  to wait  the  20  see  what happens  than

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yip, e-commerce store getting ready for takeoff! Just in time for me to go away on a long weekend vacation... oh well...

Not picking on you...really I'm not...with the 777 we were given a "week" and it released in that time frame. The NGX was largely silent. The August 2, 3, 4, 2011 frenzy was quite interesting then they released it without announcement and crashed both AVSIM and their own servers. I remember that evening as the NGX was probably the most anticipated addon to that point in the history of flight simmming. Remember the supposed DDOS attack?? Anyway. Fun times. Great learning for PMDG certainly.

Don't worry. You may be right... sometimes I believe in my memory too much and it fails me after all.

I posted based on the (somewhat frequent) messages from PMDG staff stating that they don't make "stealth releases" (I read that a couple of times during my years here). But I guess giving a time window configures a non-stealth release. :P

Yip, e-commerce store getting ready for takeoff! Just in time for me to go away on a long weekend vacation... oh well...

My GPU died yesterday.

It will take some days to replace it.

Not sure if I will be flying the Queen on release day... :sad:

Its a little past the holidays but oh well-

Twas the night before Christmas, and what a surprise,

PMDG would soon be releasing Queen of the skies!

That long sleek body, all glistening and white,

Would soon be on my flight sim on a long-haul flight

We’re going through the checklist, and checking it twice;

If ground would give us 31L it would really be nice.

The winds are calm, pressure is high,

We taxi to the runway, and wave the groundcrew goodbye;

Line up and wait, we’re told to at last,

We’ll climb to 10000 pretty damn fast!

The FMC seems to know exactly where we’re goin,

Just keep that 200000 lbs of Jet A flowin!

4 Pratt & Whitney engines, now set for cruise,

My co-pilot and I settle in for a snooze.

TOD is reached and we begin our decent;

Where oh where has my EFB went?

On final approach, the ILS is set;

Localizer acquired, landing conditions are met;

We touch down with a squeal, but lightly no less,

And taxi to the gate, for our required crew rest.

The PMDG 747v3 is sure to be a hit,

Just quit hassling Robert with “Is it released yet?”

• Upvote 6

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC