Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

On The Fence... STILL

I would say 50% + of simmers have some real world hours logged.

Don't be so sure, I would wager it's much lower than this.

P.S. --- Haven't tried the stock XP11 Cessna 172.  Perhaps it's wonderful, I wouldn't know.

The most flown so far for me.  I can't get enough of it, for the sheer fact that I have an exceptional running sim, on a great rig, so I can finally concentrate on actual flying, as well as taking in the scenery.  Speaking of which, I highly recommend a leisure flight from KAVX to KSBP.  My fps was the highest I have ever seen with mid 50s to 60s and on final approach, I still maintained mid 40s...I am in awe with the breathtaking scenery, and the best of all, it was free. :)

I can't bring myself to go back to P3D and I wrote off FSX as distant memory, despite the thousands of dollars spent. 

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I have a small amount of experience of flying a C172, but I would find it hard to say which model and what sim represents it the best. Comparing a living breathing AC in the real world to a fixed home simulation is almost impossible and again not worth arguing over. I like the feel of the XP version over A2A's but I'm not saying better, or closer to the real thing.

@ LAdamson

You own perception does not mean it has to be the general rule, everybody has their own unique way of perceiving things and of course flight.

I for one still perceive P3D/FSX as flying on rails and your argument ain't going to change my mind, but that is just me, wright or wrong.

• Upvote 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I don't remember if I wrote it already once, but in the middle ages there was one man (and only one man) who said the earth is a globe while all others believed it is flat. Possibly in some hundreds of years we know the truth about flying on rails or not on rails ... especially considering that the "flat earth" community seems to grow again :shok: .

All this stuff leads to nothing (experience from the last years in this forum), so what's the sense of doing so?

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

How do you know who has real world experience and who doesn't ? I would say 50% + of simmers have some real world hours logged. I have a PPL with hundreds of hours logged ! XPX feels more fluid vs P3D, which feels more like a controllable roller coaster.

i would be willing to bet significant amounts of money that the percentage is in the low single digit market.  even on this forum..

i would be willing to bet significant amounts of money that the percentage is in the low single digit market.  even on this forum..

Maybe, but whats the point of simming if you are not a pilot or planning on becoming a pilot ? It's not exactly fun to sim like a video game. It's pretty boring actually.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Fills in the days and nights with much enjoyment.

Never been a pilot and never will but have been around aircraft for over 60 + years.

Been active in sport all my life but now body will not allow much other than sit learning what I missed out on :smile:

Trevor Golding

I can call it a final verdict because I am done 'Beta Testing' it for now.  My final verdict.  Not the industries.   I never said that XP11 wasn't better at GA out of the box either.  Didn't mention it at all.   IN fact, it is no factor for me.   For *MY NEEDS* (which I stressed several times now... not YOUR needs, MY NEEDS) that it is not going to cut it just yet.   I fly airliners.   I don't fly 172's.    That doesn't interest me.     XP11 is certainly fantastic for VFR flying.   It is not where I want it to be for IFR airline ops though.    For now I'll zoom around P3D for day ops, XP11 for Night ops and deal with the missing components.   Keep on truck'n Laminar.   You can so redefine flight simming but you can't do it alone.  You HAVE to have 3rd party filling in the gaps you can't get to and for some reason add-on guys aren't biting hard enough.

• Upvote 1

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Maybe, but whats the point of simming if you are not a pilot or planning on becoming a pilot ? It's not exactly fun to sim like a video game. It's pretty boring actually.

Lol for you maybe. But I would say the vast majority of simmers have never and will never pilot anything IRL. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy simming just for fun! GASP!

Why do you think airliners are the most popular add-ons for flight sims? Do you expect all of those PMDG customers to be flying 747's anytime soon?

• Upvote 3

Lol for you maybe. But I would say the vast majority of simmers have never and will never pilot anything IRL. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy simming just for fun! GASP!

Why do you think airliners are the most popular add-ons for flight sims? Do you expect all of those PMDG customers to be flying 747's anytime soon?

Maybe they are GA pilots like me but will never become 747 pilots for various reasons. I would love to see a poll done to see how many pilots vs non-pilots are simmers.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Maybe they are GA pilots like me but will never become 747 pilots for various reasons. I would love to see a poll done to see how many pilots vs non-pilots are simmers.

If a poll like that is ever done, it should include a third category of non-pilots who have other experience with aviation, aside from sitting as a passenger in an airliner. 

I've never been a pilot, but I have hundreds of hours in the air in light GA planes and helicopters as a former (now retired) editorial and advertising photographer. Everything from boat ads shot from helicopters, to real estate gigs, to scenic nature photography in wild places. Tons of fun with the door off. I had to learn what I could and couldn't ask the pilot to do, including things like sideslips for a steadier shot, or trying to stay out of "deadman's curve" in a helicopter.

Learning how to direct a small aircraft as a "flying tripod" will teach you a lot about flying. It's also exposure to more risks than scheduled airliner ops... including one memorable incident in Costa Rica, where we had an engine failure in a DHC-3 Otter and had to ditch in the water. I now know a lot about the dead stick glide angle of an Otter, and practice that sometimes in the sim.  :wink:

I'm retired now, but I remember what all that felt like and looked like. I apply that to judging what I see in flight sims, and how closely I can duplicate those situations. I would think there are at least a few more people like me with an interest and some experience in the world of aviation, besides being a pilot. 

• Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It slowly grows on me.    Still not using it often for day flights.   Lack of a proper FMC, detailed 737-700/800 and a mediocre weather system at best (xEnviro in effect at the moment) are still keeping me split between sims.   But... I have shown X-Plane some love and purchased xEnviro, Tug Master Deluxe and Ground Handling.   Spent a couple hours designing my own ground services package for the modified 737-800.  I am pleased with the results.

I think the most annoying thing about the default FMC in the Default 737-800 is that you can't properly change waypoints on the fly.    Like last night while trying to make my first X-Plane video...  the simulator made me look like a moron because I couldn't get out of the Vector waypoint that was on my depature SID.   No matter what I tried it just kept saying INVALID SELECTION in the scratchpad.  I finally gave up.    It's a pretty simple FMC function that is completly hosed in X-Plane 11.     You select the waypoint you want to go to then you select the waypoint you are on and EXEC and the flight plan is updated accordingly.    The default FMC DOES NOT do this... even in the Direct Route page when the waypoint you are on is Vectors..... -_-    

XPlane-SWA.JPG

• Upvote 1

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

It slowly grows on me.    

Nice job on ground handling objects - hang in there I think it will be great after the dust settles - can get over how messed up the sky lighting is - guess we will have to wait until RTM version also Xenviro waiting on this RTM release not a lot they can do in XP current state

Rich Sennett

Nice job on ground handling objects - hang in there I think it will be great after the dust settles - can get over how messed up the sky lighting is - guess we will have to wait until RTM version also Xenviro waiting on this RTM release not a lot they can do in XP current state

I just don't think the coding hooks are there in X-Plane's native code to get detailed weather like AS16 can do with the ESP engine, at least that's the rumor I read.   You would think that weather would have been their 2nd priority after flight modeling because it's a HUGE factor in flying but it seems to be the red headed stepchild of X-Plane.

100454.png

Brian Navy