Sign in to follow this  

51 minutes ago, downscc said:

Did it annunciate LAND 3?  Did you have either or both NAVs on the ILS for that runway?

Not at all, FAC and GP all the way down to touchdown. It was at Marsa Alam, this airport does not even have an ILS.

42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Flying the plane into the ground and autolanding are completely separate functions.

It even flared a little. It was a decent landing, at around 200-300fpm.
Is it supposed to do that?
Shouldn't the AP disconnect some 50ft or so below the MDA?

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

You are welcome.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

4 hours ago, Emi said:

No idea if the same holds true for IAN (never trained for that..) but the airplane would rather land if it can, so Flare is not annunciated, nor can it be expected on a single channel approach, but it will actually happen if no crew input happens.

On the -8 if you continue below 100 feet with the A/P still engaged, you will get NO AUTOLAND DIsplayed on the PFD and amber lines drawn through FAC | GP or LOC | GP, all trying to tell you it is not an approach to an auto landing, and of course there is no FLARE or ROLLOUT armed, and only a single A/P engaged... 

In the jet, with amber lines indicating degraded modes, the jet would enter an attitude and heading sub mode where it would hold heading and attitude and you would plant yourself with a very hard landing at probably a 800 fpm descent rate. It would not be pretty... inspections of the jet and a trip to the chief pilots office would probably be scheduled...

On 3/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, Emi said:

It even flared a little. It was a decent landing, at around 200-300fpm.

It'll hit ground effect and react accordingly, yes.

On 3/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, Emi said:

No. Where'd you get that idea?

Kyle Rodgers

13 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Hmmmm, I would not want to try this for real, ground effect will not have that much of an influence on a relatively high sink close to the ground, and you will have a very hard landing that requires an inspection.

Have your partner in crime on his first leg of OE in the other seat not arrest the sink enough on landing and you will be nudging the column back to prevent a hard thud, or give a no flare in the simulator on a Cat III approach and that sink if not arrested, you will arrive with a big bang, or have a crew make a manual Cat II landing with 1200 RVR, and 80% of us will not flare enough because of reduced visual cues, and the landing will be real firm to say the least. 

A NO AUTOLAND continued with an approach descent rate to touchdown will be a very hard landing indeed...

34 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

Hmmmm, I would not want to try this for real, ground effect will not have that much of an influence on a relatively high sink close to the ground, and you will have a very hard landing that requires an inspection.

Wasn't saying I would, either. I was simply providing an explanation on why the aircraft might've done what it was doing when operated improperly. Read back through the responses instead of jumping in mid-stream and it'll all start to make sense.

Someone operated the aircraft on an IAN approach. This would obviously not run it through all of the normal autoland items that an ILS approach would run it through, but the user claimed it still "flared." The automagic certainly didn't command that, so I attempted to provide an explanation.

Not gonna see me trying to force the AP into stuff it's not made for. I'll leave that up to everyone else.

Kyle Rodgers

Respectfully, I was reading the whole thread and did not jump in mid stream, my comment was in response to continuing an IAN to an autoland and how the simulation responded by making a decent landing at 2 to 300 fpm as Emi said and asked you is it supposed to do that, and you responded it will hit ground effect and react accordingly, yes.

My thought, based on my above comments, is it is going to plow into the ground at an approach sink rate, not at 2 to 300 fpm, which will be a very hard landing, that's all I was trying to say. The jet warns you at 100 feet if the A/P is still engaged during an IAN approach by giving you a NO AUTOLAND.

I know you of all people wouldn't operate the jet this way, was not trying to infer you would. And I certainly am not being critical of the PMDG model, I love it and can't wait for the -8. 

On 3/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, scandinavian13 said:

In the NG, AP will disconnect using IAN.. Try the KSAN LOC 27 using APP button and it'll disconnect at about 100 feet..

Tony Fontaine

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 0:34 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Correct:

External model, internal VC model, accurate flight dynamics, system adjustments, ECL, internal / external sound sets, and so on - all accurate to the 747-8i/F.

Hello, 

It has been a while. 🙂 I see you're still as professional as ever. ❤

I am waiting for the 748i instead. 747 v3 looks great, but I'd prefer to fly the 748i since I already have the 747 v2.

I hope it won't be long. 😃

3 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

I am waiting for the 748i instead. 747 v3 looks great, but I'd prefer to fly the 748i since I already have the 747 v2.

Looking at the Operations Center, it looks like the Boeing 747-8 series would be an expansion of the Boeing 747-400 base pack. In other words, I think you need to already have the Boeing 747-400 before you could even install the Boeing 747-8.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Seems Mr. Randazzo is enjoying some parties and drinks in the pool since they sell thousands of copies of the 747 within a hour as there are no more updates :( :D

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Still digging the 744...I can wait for the 8...

spacer.png