flyalways

Here is word from FSlab team about 64bit

Recommended Posts

Word of caution, however:

 

This does not mean "no more OOMs" - if add-on developers are not careful, we will soon realize that as soon as users turn everything to maximum, there is still a very real possibility of 8GB or 16GB of installed RAM not being enough any more to support 4096 texture sceneries, full autogen, ultra 7cm resolutions, etc - not to mention that nagging will now be transformed from "oh - my bleeping thing OOMed!" to "oh - my bleeping thing is crawling at 4 Frames Per Year (tm)".

 

guys, upgrade your RAM to 32GB :biggrin:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The difference now is that instead of a hard limit at 4GB which no one and nothing can overcome, we now are only limited by our budgets.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, flyalways said:

Word of caution, however:

 

This does not mean "no more OOMs" - if add-on developers are not careful, we will soon realize that as soon as users turn everything to maximum, there is still a very real possibility of 8GB or 16GB of installed RAM not being enough any more to support 4096 texture sceneries, full autogen, ultra 7cm resolutions, etc - not to mention that nagging will now be transformed from "oh - my bleeping thing OOMed!" to "oh - my bleeping thing is crawling at 4 Frames Per Year (tm)".

 

guys, upgrade your RAM to 32GB :biggrin:

Yeah....

Bottleneck in the sim: optimized for current hardware technology

Bottleneck in the computer spec: memory

Bottleneck in pilot: credit card/wife(s),...

I'm more worry about the last one though

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post

I just secretly bought 16 more gb. Now at 32gb

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking at secretly going from 8 to 16. but in house house that is mission impossible!:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post

I bought 16gb when I did my upgrade a few months back, hopefully that will be enough for a while!

Share this post


Link to post

This is absolute nonsense! 

The strength of a chain is the strength of its weakest link.

OOM is a thing of the past.. what we would encounter is the next weakest link. FPS.  if more and more VAS is used, and consumed, the system would be able to take it in terms of VAS..... 64bit is not 50% more or even 100% more VAS, it's exponentially larger that  we would encounter the wall of other issues before OOM.  IF its truly 64 bit, OOM is a non sequitur. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I've had 64Gigs of RAM for quite a while.  That should handle it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

Also have 32 gb 3200 MHz ddr4 should also be enough.

My plan is to check how v4 works with my old x99 system (5820k) and to upgrade to x299 in october if i have not enough power :-)

Anyway the big question for me is how much more gpu vram and  gpu horsepower is needed.  May it makes more sense to upgrade to next gen gpu when they are coming.  

Btw does anyone know if amd cards will perform better with v4?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, FSXtreme said:

I've had 64Gigs of RAM for quite a while.  That should handle it.

Have a chat with my missus will you,  😂😂

she's going to hit the roof when she sees the screw drivers coming out!!!

I'm trying to work out how to secretly go from 8 to 32 gigs and a ssd without her noticing, I've got from 8.30am to 1800 and that's delivery, open. Install,  close and dispose of packaging.  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, tooting said:

Have a chat with my missus will you,  😂😂

she's going to hit the roof when she sees the screw drivers coming out!!!

I'm trying to work out how to secretly go from 8 to 32 gigs and a ssd without her noticing, I've got from 8.30am to 1800 and that's delivery, open. Install,  close and dispose of packaging.  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

:-) can you Imagine how Happy i was that she did not recognize my secret upgrade to a 6950x :-)

God save my secret bank account for p3d at the cayman islands ;-)

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

hahaha. I like that "4 frames per year>" which could almost be true if folks decide to max things way beyond the max (well, you get it).

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hoang said:

Yeah....

Bottleneck in the sim: optimized for current hardware technology

Bottleneck in the computer spec: memory

Bottleneck in pilot: credit card/wife(s),...

I'm more worry about the last one though

hummmm, that's a tough one. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, BamaKevin said:

I just secretly bought 16 more gb. Now at 32gb

 

I'm telling. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, tooting said:

Have a chat with my missus will you,  😂😂

she's going to hit the roof when she sees the screw drivers coming out!!!

I'm trying to work out how to secretly go from 8 to 32 gigs and a ssd without her noticing, I've got from 8.30am to 1800 and that's delivery, open. Install,  close and dispose of packaging.  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Humm.. give her 2 spleeping pills. That should hold for about 8-12 hours. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now