FlyCathay

Dynamics lighting brought my GTX 1080 to its knee

Running at 3 x 1080 screen, at daylight, I can achieve 40 + fps, but at night with dynamics lighting, it drops to 8~10 fps. If I turn off dynamic lighting, FPS back to 30s at night. Anyone has the same issue? That makes me thinking moving to 1080 TI if that ever helps. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

A 1080Ti is about 30% faster than your 1080. Now you could do the maths yourself: if you have 10FPS using a 1080, you would get 13FPS using a 1080Ti. Worth the upgrade? I guess no...

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FlyCathay said:

Running at 3 x 1080 screen, at daylight, I can achieve 40 + fps, but at night with dynamics lighting, it drops to 8~10 fps. If I turn off dynamic lighting, FPS back to 30s at night. Anyone has the same issue? That makes me thinking moving to 1080 TI if that ever helps. 

Try wih MSAA instead of SSAA

Michael Moe

58 minutes ago, FlyCathay said:

Hi, i'm also running three screens and therefore are interested in your other settings, do you mind to share them?

41 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Try wih MSAA instead of SSAA

Michael Moe

My experience with MSAA in the night is that the lights that are far away have a really bad shimmering effect that only goes away with 8xSSAA.

Not even 4k resolution can solve this with anything less than 8xSSAA. :(

4 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

My experience with MSAA in the night is that the lights that are far away have a really bad shimmering effect

Actually, shimmering of lights in the far distance during night is quiet realistic, no? ;-)

• Upvote 1

Just now, AnkH said:

Actually, shimmering of lights in the far distance during night is quiet realistic, no? ;-)

It is, but not the way it happens in P3D. :) Wish I could explain it better, maybe have a test and see for yourself if you think it's realistic or not.

IMO definitely not. :)

• Upvote 1

Wht add ons are you using with dynamic lights? They have to be placed by a developer of an addon so finding out which addon it is would be the next step. Aircraft or scenery 

Let's hope that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting.

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

unfortunately i didnt have have much time with v4. I tried it with the usual heavy add ons like PMDG T7 with FSDT KSFOHD, KIAH, Flightbeam KIAD+MT6@10% with FSUIPC5 controlling the amount of AI and AS16 + Chaseplane (will try EZDOK soon). In daylight conditions i rarely drop below 30 FPS @night i didnt do a flight neither did a flight in daylight with DL enabled.  I only tried it at some random gate @ KSFOHD i switched on the landing lights of the T7 and saw no drop in FPS when having dynamic lighting on. I tried it with and without DL no major change in FPS. With DL the gate and the building got all lit up.

My system Win7 64 Pro i7 5820k oc´ed@4.5GHz 16GB GSkill Rip Jaws @3000MHz RAM ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Advanced runing the second latest driver P3D4 on a dedicated 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD. I did not push the sim to its limits i dont see any reason to throttle up every slider to the right. Autogen draw distance is @ medium Autogen buildings @ very dense Water is @ the highest AI @10% Autogen trees are @ dense. Everything receives shadows despite aircraft and clouds cast shadows. My cfg contains only a jobscheduler @340 and the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP which is set to 9 (tiles drawn @512) 10 got me major stutters. Maybe i run into the same FPS loss when flying around. 

Hope that helps. 

6 minutes ago, Mickeyj said:

Everything receives shadows despite aircraft and clouds cast shadows.

Well, then you have basically the only two options deactivated that really make an optical difference between P3D and FSX. What is your FPS aim? 60 FPS? Otherwise I do not get how you limit your settings that much with such a capable system as a basis...

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Well, then you have basically the only two options deactivated that really make an optical difference between P3D and FSX. What is your FPS aim? 60 FPS? Otherwise I do not get how you limit your settings that much with such a capable system as a basis...

As i flew around KSFOHD without DL and the city + airport in view the FPS hovered around 29-36 with no airport and city inside 40 FPS.

DL was only tested on ground @ KSFOHD in the T7 at a gate FPS were around 30-32. I didnt try more shadow options ATM but will do that as soon as i get the time to do so. In v3 i had autogen building shadows enabled when flying low performance add ons like MilViz and Cerasim choppers and some GA aircraft. I´ve also seen performance differences between UT2 and MT6 in v3 and v4. UT2 performed little better in v3 than MT6 where as MT6 performs better in v4. AI in v4 is the same as in v3 on my system which is 10%. Unfortunately i cant recall my FSUIPC5 settings despite i limited the FPS to 30 and the AI to 30.

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Let's hope that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting.

You'd think that LM can improve Dynamic Lighting performance as LR has supurb Dynamic Lighting in X-plane11, I love both simulators, however I still favour P3d if I had to choose at the moment.

Use 8XMSAA until someone improves performance. I also used the same settings in NI and it reduced the shimmering a lot, while still maintaining great FPS and smoothness

Hello!

Your 3 monitor's destroy your GPU. Buy a new GTX 1080 and use SLI Bridge. Use a very Strong CPU! That's recommended! For Example: I7 7700k or I7 6700k. Both are good for it. 2 GTX 1080 outperform your Ti! If you want to use continuously 3 monitor's this will helps. BUT if you want to use 1 monitor: Your FPS will be 100 at night.

1 hour ago, Hegedus Marton said:

Hello!

Your 3 monitor's destroy your GPU. Buy a new GTX 1080 and use SLI Bridge. Use a very Strong CPU! That's recommended! For Example: I7 7700k or I7 6700k. Both are good for it. 2 GTX 1080 outperform your Ti! If you want to use continuously 3 monitor's this will helps. BUT if you want to use 1 monitor: Your FPS will be 100 at night.

Prove it

Could be 1 million lights casting shadows on ground objects.  I have both turned off.

Cheers
bs

I have a Titan X and I get 12 FPS with any kind of SSAA and dynamic lighting enabled. I can only get away with 4x MSAA where I can achieve 27 - 30 FPS. LM needs to optimize. Guess we have something to look forward to for v4.1... we're never happy are we?

2 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

I have a Titan X and I get 12 FPS with any kind of SSAA and dynamic lighting enabled. I can only get away with 4x MSAA where I can achieve 27 - 30 FPS. LM needs to optimize. Guess we have something to look forward to for v4.1... we're never happy are we?

I use GTX 1080 and I7 7700k. 1 monitor, night: Cockpit -> 30-40fps Locked Spot -> 70-80fps

2 minutes ago, Hegedus Marton said:

I use GTX 1080 and I7 7700k. 1 monitor, night: Cockpit -> 30-40fps Locked Spot -> 70-80fps

Is that with dynamic lighting enabled? Is that in a PMDG aircraft with all the lights on? What level of AA are you using?

6 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

Is that with dynamic lighting enabled? Is that in a PMDG aircraft with all the lights on? What level of AA are you using?

I use 4X AA. Dynamic Lighting is on. Every other setting's on MAX. Just the shadow's no. (High) What is your Spec's?

3 minutes ago, Hegedus Marton said:

I use 4X AA. Dynamic Lighting is on. Every other setting's on MAX. Just the shadow's no. (High) What is your Spec's?

Asus x79-Deluxe Mobo with 4960x @4.7 GHz, Titan X (Maxwell) 12GB, 16GB RAM. I like to run 4X SSAA but I have to turn dynamic lighting off as well as dynamic reflections. I find the 12 threaded 4960X allows me to turn up the autogen and LOD, but lacks the raw performance of a current gen i7 to crank out the frames.

Your 7700K I'm sure is definitely helping you to achieve excellent performance.

This highly depends on what add-ons and the amount that you have running plus screen resolution. Just because some of you have 1080's and Titan cards doesn't mean anything really. It's all dependent on those things also. If you're running pretty high FPS with most settings max''d out, then you're not pushing the sim hard enough.

• Upvote 2

Agree with the add-on used. Default aircraft doesn't have near the effect on performance as "The Queen" or Triple 7!

28 minutes ago, Bnash00 said:

Asus x79-Deluxe Mobo with 4960x @4.7 GHz, Titan X (Maxwell) 12GB, 16GB RAM. I like to run 4X SSAA but I have to turn dynamic lighting off as well as dynamic reflections. I find the 12 threaded 4960X allows me to turn up the autogen and LOD, but lacks the raw performance of a current gen i7 to crank out the frames.

Your 7700K I'm sure is definitely helping you to achieve excellent performance.

I'm not statisfied with the AMD Processor's. Firstly, you need an I7. Your AMD processor can't perform well your Ti. The GPU is too good :)

BUT the GTX 1080 is better than a Titan X.