spilok

Nvidia Inspector in Pd3v4 necessary?

20 posts in this topic

I am under the impression after reading a great deal about this, that NVidia Inspector is NOT NECESSARY when using Prepar3dv4!  What is the general consensus on this.  I would prefer not to use it, and hope that most of you agree with me.

Stan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use it, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute must.  I need it for SSGS that reduces shimmering, plus I use it to limit my frames as opposed to within the sim.

I do not use it at present. Antialiasing has been essentially improved by LM and my graphics card allows using  8xSSAA in-game without a noticeable fps penalty. I don't have a 4k monitor, but 3440x1440 which is at least semi-high res to suppress most of the remaining shimmering.

On the other hand, the monitor provides 30 Hz, so I set VSync and TripleBuffer on in-game. This provides a quite fluent experience, as long as can hold the 30 fps. Unfortunately, this isn't the case on big airports with a lot of AI traffic, but NI probably can't help here either.

I found the rest of the settings like power management etc. have been rather placebo always. Thus I don't have a need to use NI at present.

Kind regards, Michael

I have never used NI,to many choices which i don't understand,But I do use Nvidia DSR at 2x and 16 % the lower the % settings the sharper your image will be,I do not have any AA issues and sim is smooth,well worth a try

Peter

6 hours ago, spilok said:

I am under the impression after reading a great deal about this, that NVidia Inspector is NOT NECESSARY when using Prepar3dv4!  What is the general consensus on this.  I would prefer not to use it, and hope that most of you agree with me.

Stan

I don't use it.

7 hours ago, pmb said:

I found the rest of the settings like power management etc. have been rather placebo always. Thus I don't have a need to use NI at present.

Kind regards, Michael

+1

I haven't used Inspector for years. Most options are either placebo or can now be set in P3D itself.

It depends on your hardware power (GPU, CPU) and monitor resolution:

If you use SSAA within P3D with dynamic lighting ON, your fps will drop down and you may see stutters if your hardware cannot handle it.

A good compromise for moderate systems is therefore to use MSAA within P3D (which hits much less on performance when dynamic lighting is on) and use Nvidia Inspector with 2 x SSGS. You will then get the best from two worlds: less shimmering and acceptable performance with dynamic lighting on.

Thanks.  Good to hear.  I can't say that NVidia Inspector ever really helped in FSX either.

Stan

I don't know about P3D v4, but I need 4x SGSS in P3D v3.3.5 to suppress shimmering to acceptable levels @1920x1080 resolution.

15 hours ago, curt1 said:

I use it, but I wouldn't say it's an absolute must.  I need it for SSGS that reduces shimmering, plus I use it to limit my frames as opposed to within the sim.

+1.  SSGS is what's needed to knock down the shimmering.  And setting Unlimited frames in the sim (while using an external limiter) yields a more balanced load between CPU cores.

Greg

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, Cargostorm said:

It depends on your hardware power (GPU, CPU) and monitor resolution:

If you use SSAA within P3D with dynamic lighting ON, your fps will drop down and you may see stutters if your hardware cannot handle it.

A good compromise for moderate systems is therefore to use MSAA within P3D (which hits much less on performance when dynamic lighting is on) and use Nvidia Inspector with 2 x SSGS. You will then get the best from two worlds: less shimmering and acceptable performance with dynamic lighting on.

This is my preferred method after much trial and error (I actually alternate between 2xSSAA/8xMSAA in sim plus 2xSSGS in NI). The GPU works much harder and hits 90-100% in external view but the clouds etc. and general smoothness and clarity of view is very good.

Shez

The latest version of nvidia inspector is not working with 384.94 win 10 pro driver.

I'd like to use 1/2 refresh rate. What version works with what driver in win 10 pro?

Thanks.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:13 AM, DJJose said:

The latest version of nvidia inspector is not working with 384.94 win 10 pro driver.

I'd like to use 1/2 refresh rate. What version works with what driver in win 10 pro?

Thanks.

Mine works with 385.41 and is version 1.9.7.8.

Considering that I don't use an NVidia GPU, I can assure you it ain't necessary at all!

4 hours ago, ShezA said:

Mine works with 385.41 and is version 1.9.7.8.

Tried the 385.41 drivers but could not get it to work with Ins 2.13.

Can't find v 1.9.7.8. All the versions I found to download are v 2.13.

Thanks.