jt8d9a

Let`s Sim - new shop

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ridiculous password requirement. Just tried to register but it needs a password with at least 12 characters and symbols like ! " ? $ % ^ &. I don't have time for such nonsense, my add-on purchases are not black ops secrets, just requires five or six letter simple password that I can remember.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, rooitou said:

Ridiculous password requirement. Just tried to register but it needs a password with at least 12 characters and symbols like ! " ? $ % ^ &. I don't have time for such nonsense, my add-on purchases are not black ops secrets, just requires five or six letter simple password that I can remember.

Absolutely agree. Bloody nonsense!

Guess another player to the market will not be gathering in the harvest then?

I tried a different tactic today. Went straight to the free airport, placed it in shopping cart and checked out. It asked for all my details, I entered a simple 5-character password and pressed go. It went ahead and created an account. Definitely less cumbersome than trying to register/create account first, where it complains about insecure password.

Thanks for the heads-up Nils, I now a nice free airport for XP11 and will look at Lets Sims's other offerings

Hate to say it but my gut tells me this is a scam just to get credit card numbers, or is it just me?

4 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

Hate to say it but my gut tells me this is a scam just to get credit card numbers, or is it just me?

I wouldn't necessarily say it is definitely a scam, however, I would advise people to be very cautious about this...

Who are these people? What is their background? Their history? Where are they? Where is their press release to all the sim websites announcing their venture? Can you phone them? Can you write to them? Visit them? and so on. Without knowing literally any of this, it's only sensible to suspect some mala fide; it would be just plain dumb to start filling in and sending personal details to some total strangers on the 'net purely on the basis of a website with some knocked up in two minutes graphic of an aeroplane on it showing up out of nowhere. and it is worth noting that the X

But here's where the real alarm bells start ringing: Anyone who is genuine in such a venture would not be afraid to provide a bit more information than three first names and some cartoon pictures of what the staff allegedly look like. I'm sorry, but this really does come across as total bullsh** and is very suspect indeed, and if it is genuine, then it is indicative of people who ought to know better and so that doesn't fill me with confidence either way.

No contact address, no contact number, nothing of that sort at all. Yes it all looks very friendly, but it's easy to buy a domain name for ten quid, knock up a few pages of a website, pay a tenner to host it for a month or so and that's it, Bob's yer Uncle, done. These days you don't even need to know how to code to do that. If you can scam just one person's credit details, you'll have your twenty quid outlay back in a matter of seconds, plus everything else they have right up to their credit limit.

It'd be a more elaborate scam to create some freebie scenery or plane for a flight sim to gain people's trust and then stick it to them (or steal some scenery and use that, after all, if you are a scammer, you'd hardly be morally troubled by doing that), so this is not unheard of and is the technique which is the basis of most confidence tricks, i.e. make people believe they are getting something from you for little or no money, when you are really setting them up for a sucker punch.

Actually, there doesn't even need to be a freebie available, just the promise of one which you have to 'create an account for'. But either way, having someone create an account is the scammer's way of knowing they have a bite and can proceed further without wasting their time on cold calling people. Alternatively, you could actually give something away and put a keylogger or HD crawler in the thing, next thing you know, kerching! All personal details that person has ever put on an email, or any other document on their computer and all their saved passwords, serial codes etc.

Now none of this means it is a scam, they may  simply be trying to gather a customer base, but I do think this is slightly suspect, since what would really gather a customer base is to have some products to sell, so it'd be more useful to gather a client base than a customer base.

This seems too innocuous to be a scam, but one never knows with today's Internet. Every 6 months or so, there's a thread started by a "commercial developer" that promises extraordinary features and then Jim Young investigates and finds that it's either a scam or it's violating someone else's patents/copyrights.

http://www.letssim.com/terms.html

Scroll down to the bottom of that and there's a private address in Swansea. It's a start....

EDIT - although you can select the terms, the actual address appears to just be an image rather than text....

Edited by HighBypass

6 hours ago, HighBypass said:

although you can select the terms, the actual address appears to just be an image rather than text....

There is actually a reason to do that in terms of SEO: A typed address is not really going to improve SEO much since it only flags as relevant/useful if it matches the words typed in the search query, which is unlikely to be the case with an online store's registered office, so if you instead use an image of the address line for your website, images can have keywords, Dublin Core info etc attached to them in the metadata, and since search engines use metadata which is correctly filled in as one of the things to rate a site higher, it can sometimes be a good idea to do that sort of thing so you tick more boxes with Google and other search engines. It can be abused too of course, but done correctly it can up your score a bit on a web search, so that in itself is not necessarily suspicious, it could just indicate that the web designer knows how SEO works, which you should do if you are a web designer lol.

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

This seems too innocuous to be a scam

Most scams attempt to seem 'too innocuous to be a scam'. It's kind of mandatory to seem that way if they're going to stand a chance of fooling anyone. :biggrin:

Hate to say it but my gut tells me this is a scam just to get credit card numbers

I didn't give them a card number...downloaded OK not installed yet

From Helisimmer they've been around a while :)

Cheers
Keith