Woozie

QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

Recommended Posts

As I and probably many others are still on the fence for the QW787, i would love to hear your first impressions. Everything went smooth? Survived your maiden flight? Does it meet your expectations?

Tell us! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I’m interested to know what semi-big features are missing, I’ve heard step climbs and winds aloft so far.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Woozie said:

As I and probably many others are still on the fence for the QW787, i would love to hear your first impressions. Everything went smooth? Survived your maiden flight? Does it meet your expectations?

Tell us! 🙂

+1 

 

especialy what about the efb?  sounds like the pmdg thing? does it also work with navigraph?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, VS0 said:

I’m interested to know what semi-big features are missing, I’ve heard step climbs and winds aloft so far.

You mean the FMC does not accept wind data from Activesky? 

Share this post


Link to post

Auto Step and Manual Step Climbs are part of the product. Winds Aloft forecasting is not at this time.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Emil. I'll just have to have the FMC complain of "insufficient fuel" on the tailwind routings. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Eric,

There is a minor work around the wind forecast problem. For those of you with PFPX, it calculates all the fuel based on the winds aloft along the flight route. And if you use Active Sky I can assure you the fuel will be exactly what you need for the flight.

Most 787 operators land with 50 to 140 minutes of fuel left on board depending on the length of the flight. 50 Min is about 9000+ lbs of fuel.

QW787 Dispatcher has a fuel calculator for fuel required. We paid a lot of attention to the fuel burn accuracy during development

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, American 833 Heavy said:

Hi Eric,

There is a minor work around the wind forecast problem. For those of you with PFPX, it calculates all the fuel based on the winds aloft along the flight route. And if you use Active Sky I can assure you the fuel will be exactly what you need for the flight.

Most 787 operators land with 50 to 140 minutes of fuel left on board depending on the length of the flight. 50 Min is about 9000+ lbs of fuel.

QW787 Dispatcher has a fuel calculator for fuel required. We paid a lot of attention to the fuel burn accuracy during development

But how does VNAV accurately manage descents if it doesn’t have wind forecasts?

Alex

Share this post


Link to post

VNAV Descent is based on our internal performance specs for the airplane. It will behave differently based on the variant, engine model weight etc.

VNAV will work in the real thing with or without wind forecasts. The wind forecasting makes it more precise, sure. But in the simulator environment I think you'll find that it more than gets the job done.

Share this post


Link to post

Not familiar with a 787 FMC but like other Boeing’s I assume these wind values can be entered in manually if desired??

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, VS0 said:

I’m interested to know what semi-big features are missing, I’ve heard step climbs and winds aloft so far.

Auto-step climb is implemented. It's in the Info menu.

Share this post


Link to post

Just wondering. Winds aloft and step climbs - would those not constitute a study-level aircraft add-on? And if I'm not mistaken, QW is more a mid-level, is it not? I could be wrong on both counts, mind you. 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Just wondering. Winds aloft and step climbs - would those not constitute a study-level aircraft add-on? And if I'm not mistaken, QW is more a mid-level, is it not? I could be wrong on both counts, mind you. 

Well when flying long haul flights there’s not a whole lot else to do other than monitor fuel and plan when to step up to a higher level. A long haul flight in the real world will almost never stay at the same level for the whole flight. To me it would be quite a basic feature to be able to input steps for accurate fuel predictions. 

 

Either way im looking forward to purchasing soon.

Share this post


Link to post

It sounds like you can input steps but they have to be added manually at the required waypoint.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, VS0 said:

Either way im looking forward to purchasing soon.

Same here!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tamsini said:

Just wondering. Winds aloft and step climbs - would those not constitute a study-level aircraft add-on? And if I'm not mistaken, QW is more a mid-level, is it not? I could be wrong on both counts, mind you. 

28 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

It sounds like you can input steps but they have to be added manually at the required waypoint.

1 hour ago, Cai Zicheng said:

Auto-step climb is implemented. It's in the Info menu.

As stated by @Cai Zicheng, auto step climb is in the new version.
See page 243 under 'Misc Options' and page 410 under 'Available Options' of the Users Manual.

Share this post


Link to post

This goes against what most comments may state, but what I am looking for in the QW 787 is a mid-level simulation. 🤔

I do not want a study level steep climb (pardon the pun) a la PMDG or thereabouts but need to be able to fly what I buy. I'll let the younger and more dexterous gray matter tackle the higher, faster and smarter challenges!  

Kind regards, 

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

This goes against what most comments may state, but what I am looking for in the QW 787 is a mid-level simulation. 🤔

I do not want a study level steep climb (pardon the pun) a la PMDG or thereabouts but need to be able to fly what I buy. I'll let the younger and more dexterous gray matter tackle the higher, faster and smarter challenges!  

Kind regards, 

It doesn't really matter, I suppose, how we classify this one as long as we enjoy the product. And, although it's been a long time I've used QW products, I do remember enjoying them back in my FSX days - especially the Avro package.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Watching Chewwy's stream, there's a pretty game-breaking bug with VNAV not populating the altitude fields correctly. This might be worth buying after a patch or two.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Watching Chewwy's stream, there's a pretty game-breaking bug with VNAV not populating the altitude fields correctly. This might be worth buying after a patch or two.

Would it be possible to explain this issue a little more? Or a link to the video? Id planned on purchasing as soon as i get home tonight. And bugs that are popping up would be good to know about ahead of time. Thanks. 

-Tony@PVD

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, breakinghbts said:

Would it be possible to explain this issue a little more? Or a link to the video? Id planned on purchasing as soon as i get home tonight. And bugs that are popping up would be good to know about ahead of time. Thanks. 

-Tony@PVD

Best way I can describe it... the T/D point was displayed where you'd expect but all of the subsequent way points maintained the cruise altitude (FL400) until the first way point with a hard altitude restriction. Apparently this was bug in the FSX version as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all the insight so far.  I've been flying PMDG's Boeings exclusively for quite a while, but I do remember using QW's 757 a long time ago.  I've been looking forward to a 787 release and would definitely consider adding to my Boeing fleet!

Share this post


Link to post

Just asked Chewwy and he replied

VNAV: Planned TOD ignored

LNVA: Plane still followed a HOLD that was deleted

It was really interesting seeing a person who REALLY wanted to like the aircraft seema bit bummed about it.

Streamer seemed like a very good guy so I tossed a follow.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

This goes against what most comments may state, but what I am looking for in the QW 787 is a mid-level simulation. 🤔

I do not want a study level steep climb (pardon the pun) a la PMDG or thereabouts but need to be able to fly what I buy. I'll let the younger and more dexterous gray matter tackle the higher, faster and smarter challenges!  

Kind regards, 

The issue with this is that the price has already been set. At about $70 it better be study level! Mid level should be more like $40.

The "gray matter" will not be able to participate with inflation such as this.

But either way, CTRL-E should start your engines....LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

They still refuse to send the basic 8 control gauge numbers so we can use hardware like Saitek gauges. 

 

I am sorry, This is a pathetic miserable  company I refuse to do  business with

 

 

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.