Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

Guys there also the flight1 refund policy you can always try it yourself and judge it that way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

4 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I also instantly bought the plane and the Immersion package. I haven't flown it yet but played a little with the cold&dark procedures. To me this release does not look like their 757. It 'feels' much more advanced. All major systems seem to be working and the modeling in the VC is excellent.  

I think it's wrong practice, people to write conclusions after the first flight of a new aircraft. I don't say that Aaron is wrong, I haven't flown it yet, but I think its not right to do your first forum post, after one flight and be that negative and discourage people from purchasing. The reason is that on your first flight, many things could have been set or done wrong. I would do the same flight two-three times before I would be that certain that the plane is not worth purchasing. It had been beta tested for a long time to have a bug on the ILS. Just saying, it doesn't sound right to me. Personally I would have tested a couple of times. If the bug was there I would send first to QW make sure it is indeed a bug and then post here a negative comment. I think its proper to respect people's work and be extra cautious when discouraging people to purchase a product released a few hours ago. 

You are right. I should put a little more time in before writing such a post. I've been flying the fslabs a320 and the maddog a lot lately. I guess I'm just used to a higher standard. The aircraft looked and felt great during the taxi. After 4 hours inflight I had a totally different opinion. All of the negatives added up quickly. For the price and my expectations I was very disappointed. While that may have been my first post. I've been an avid flight simmer and worked in the aviation industry for 17 years. I'm not a rookie simmer. It could be my setup and lack of knowledge of the 787. My first impressions were poor and I felt like sharing my observations. Like I said. I was flying in VR and it may not have been flown and/or tested in this configuration. VR is always different.

14 minutes ago, aaron6256 said:

You are right. I should put a little more time in before writing such a post. I've been flying the fslabs a320 and the maddog a lot lately. I guess I'm just used to a higher standard. The aircraft looked and felt great during the taxi. After 4 hours inflight I had a totally different opinion. All of the negatives added up quickly. For the price and my expectations I was very disappointed. While that may have been my first post. I've been an avid flight simmer and worked in the aviation industry for 17 years. I'm not a rookie simmer. It could be my setup and lack of knowledge of the 787. My first impressions were poor and I felt like sharing my observations. Like I said. I was flying in VR and it may not have been flown and/or tested in this configuration. VR is always different.

I understand your frustration when just paid 70$. Just try again tomorrow, do the tutorial step by step. Also try 2D, for the sake of argument. I'll do some patterns and my first full flight tomorrow, but usually its the second and third flight that I won't forget anything important when I fly a new plane. Also, if you look at their forums, there are many questions and the developers are there and replying since release continuously. QW has good support and I am sure they will look at any problems. Finally, bugs are to be expected. I don't want to tag where QW is quality wise right now. I will give it some time not only to fly the plane but also to see how they support it and update it. In any case, I wouldn't say that 70$ are wasted. Its a different type of plane that was missing from the sim world and I'm glad we can fly it to an -at first glance- respectable level of simulation.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 2

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Like I posted in another thread, this reminds me of the CS 757 release, bugs, bugs and more bugs. This has the show stopper kind, heck the same one with the VNAV and LNAV logic that apparently was in the FSX version. You would have thought someone would have checked that. Not buying this just like I didn't buy the CS757 yet. I would love to have both but I'm not paying 70 dollars in the state it is in. It's very disappointing. I hope for better with the Aerosoft Airbus. 

Eric 

7 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Like I posted in another thread, this reminds me of the CS 757 release, bugs, bugs and more bugs. This has the show stopper kind, heck the same one with the VNAV and LNAV logic that apparently was in the FSX version. You would have thought someone would have checked that. Not buying this just like I didn't buy the CS757 yet. I would love to have both but I'm not paying 70 dollars in the state it is in. It's very disappointing. I hope for better with the Aerosoft Airbus. 

Sorry to ask but which are the "bugs bugs and more bugs" on the QW 787? If you haven't bought it, how you can say? Could you please describe so I can check also tomorrow when I do a full flight?

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

People are more likely to complain than to compliment.

I take negative comments with a grain of salt. I've followed the development of this aircraft since it's announcement. I watch closely how it's modeled, I pay attention to the screenshots, the preview videos and look very closely at the systems depth. I can make an educated guess on if it's an aircraft I want to purchase and only me, myself and I will make that choice, not someone elses opinion.

First look inside the 787 and the front office is outstanding. There are a lot of screens and menus to explore, a lot of new technology that we as simmers are not familiar with, and completely new ways of inputing data. On my first test flight I already found myself struggling to figure things out and it will just take time to become profiicient before I discredit a fault of the aircraft.

Everyone's hardware, settings and installed addons are different so your performance will not reflect mine. I'm having a smooth experience so far, frames are to be as expected, right around the PMDG 777 for me. So far no bugs for me, I'm happy with the systems depth and the price point is spot on for what you get. 

Edited by PWJT8D
  • Like 6

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

3 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Sorry to ask but which are the "bugs bugs and more bugs" on the QW 787? If you haven't bought it, how you can say? Could you please describe so I can check also tomorrow when I do a full flight?

1. VNAV descent mode when reaching TOD. 

2.  LNAV, if a hold is input and then deleted, aircraft will still enter hold. 

3. Very bad banding of night lighting on panel. 

4. Random CTD's. 

Eric 

So Just tried a first flight, really good actually. Some minor problems but nothing crazy. Maintained speed at cruise, climbed to cruise no problem. I noticed that it didn't show a restriction for one of the Altitudes, It showed an altitude below the restriction, fine. It did miss one other restriction, but I manually entered it in as I've had to do in other aircraft. Hit TOD, came down on VNAV with no issues, had ILS set for RWY 12 at Edmonton. I noticed that on tight turns, in this case coming from BEMIG to MIPOT and then onto the approach it did over shoot, maybe it was my configuration, not sure. Was doing 190IAS Flaps 1. Brought it over onto course, it flew the approach for the last 3 nm. Did a go around, found that in the hold it's not one smooth turn but it almost turns, levels off and then turns again. Flew out to MIPOT once more, turned in at 4400 and let it fly the approach down to 200 and then took over. No issues, brought the jet right over the runway. Some small issues for now, if I find anymore I'll make note and send them off. Other than that it was quite enjoyable to fly. 

• Like 1

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

Amazing job by the QW crew. Took it for a few laps at CYVR tonight!  Quite impressed - especially with the sound

• Like 1

Funny how these addons keep getting more expensive, and yet  also seem to get more and more broken at release...

For those claiming some here are rushing to judgment: what's the response to the reports of the VNAV bug from QualityWings? At this price point there's absolutely no excuse for releasing this with something that you'll use every flight broken in a really basic way. Even worse is the fact that this has apparently been a known issue since the FSX release.

Absent some really compelling explanation for how this happened to slip into the release, it's hard to have any faith in their quality control at this point. I was really looking forward to this one. A shame.

James

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't own the product and I'm not sure if I will yet because I'm still getting plenty of use from other aircraft but I think the term 'study level' is different to everybody. Sure, it loosely can mean the same thing but everyone will have an opinion. It seems a bit harsh to me that when other 'study level' aircraft are $120-$140 and this is nearly half the cost, you can't really compare them in terms of missing features. If you are annoyed that it is buggy on release then that is a fair point but to nit pick about what it does or doesn't have compared to much more expensive aircraft is a bit unrealistic I think.

• Like 1

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

I wonder if it is possible that the price was decided on based on how long it took them to build the product rather than how closely it simulates real 787 systems ("study level")….I hope not.

I sure was hoping for some better first impressions here, instead of excuses. 🙄🤮

I will wait for a couple of knowledgeable flight simmers to put out an extensive un-biased YouTube review. 👨‍⚖️

I will likely just wait for PMDG's next project, its always a winner.👨‍✈️ 

• Upvote 1

Torn, first this way, then that... 

So going to bed and trying not to think anymore about it tonight otherwise I will be having nightmares at being stuck at 40,000 feet or something! 😴

Kind regards,

PS: Good night and have a great day tomorrow! 

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Too sleepy to fly or type...
  • Upvote 1

I did a test flight CYYZ/KBOS (Fly Tampa).

First attempt CDT during SID

Second attempt no major issues . VNAV and LNAV works fine but didn't capture the ILS properly on 33R.

Micro slutters during the entire flight which I never experienced before during cruise phase with others aircrafts.

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

Funny how these addons keep getting more expensive, and yet  also seem to get more and more broken at release..

Because all you lot seem to think this pay to beta crappo is OK and the best thing since sliced bread, so over the last 10 years with the help of large downloadable patches (something unheard of and not feasible 10 years ago) the initial versions are unpolished the Cs products, BBS products, proatc, CRJ, aerosoft scenery and wilco products are released unpolished and then the promise of being patched, patched, And then patched again, the above is a testament to this fluffy lovely beta junk. They want to get a product out to get the $$$$, but as a community (I hate that word) we are idiots and too scared / stupid to raise our voice and complain and if you do you get banned. Welcome to 2018

In short, You reep what you sow.  This is how the community and society in general is nowadays, once In a blue moon, an absolute corker like a pmdg,  fsl or majestic bird comes along. Its a gem

Other than that it's always average of sub average products. 

I like the 787 I really do.  Same as I don't dislike the asda tea bags in my work kitchen they make a alright cup of tea, But it's not a marks and spencer or whittards of Chelsea standard tea bag cup of tea. 

But it's not finished, not by a long chalk.

it's an asda, not a marks and spencer type of product, with pmdg/fsl being the marks and spencer quality here 

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 3

14ppkc-6.png