Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woozie

QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

Could someone clarify or post a screenshot of the issue with cockpit night lighting banding? I know I returned another of their products a year or so ago for this same thing.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I am surprised to see so much negativity. The 787 is so good... This isn't a CS757 or a CRJ7/9, it's an aircraft that actually flies correctly from the day of release, is packed with a ton of features, everything works (unlike their previous 757 which was SO light and yet everyone loved it), it's got incredible graphics and sound... Come on, what do you want more?

These guys made quite an evolution from their first release. Yes, this is not PMDG or FSL, but that's not a bad thing too, most people don't even use 50% of what those developers ask price-wise and yet they buy the product and don't complain about it.

Do yourselves a favour, buy it (you can return it after 30 days if you don't want it), try it and enjoy it - It's really hard not to. I've been on the air with it for 5 hours now (doing YPAD - VHHH), and it's been quite a fun ride.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

My 2 cents,

Did a short test flight from KLAS to KSAN.  No major flaws experienced other than the bird accelerated like a bat out of hell prob due to super light weight and powerful engines.  Had to act quick before it passed 250K.  Other than that, it was pure joy actually.  Great sound, great frames, super smooth.  Perfect?  No.  Good enough to have a lot of fun?  For sure.  Worth the money?  No doubt.  And it will only get better.  Remember the TFDi fiasco?  Almost unflyable in the beginning and now one of the best addons out there.  This has the same potential.

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Up to 6 flights now in the 787 and the more I fly it the more I am impressed with it. I watched a few streamers today expecting them to tear it up based on the talk going around. I was not surprised when the majority of them came back with positive reviews after there flights. Even a big name streamer that was mentioned earlier was impressed with the QW787. He actually gave it a fair shackdown, spotted a few things that could be improved but overall he was pleasantly happy with the product. Like some of them stated, some of the problems people are having with the plane could be there systems, addons, procedures, etc. It's by no means perfect but what we do have can be improved. I am very happy with the QW787 and I look forward to the updates that will make it better. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

13 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Are you sure about that? PMDG and FS Labs study level sits at $135, which is twice the price of the QW 787. I would argue that a price of $70 makes it a mid level product.

I never defended the price of FSL stuff, and I never bought their stuff only because of the price, same with the CS 757, and what Blackbox is doing is....well, I will keep that to myself. I cannot justify outrageous prices, without a proven history. PMDG have proven themselves to be pioneers and they lead the way. QW have not proven to be "study level" yet, neither has CS. FSL dives itself into "ultra (because of the price) study level", but they should have been priced below $90 in my view. I know for sure FSL lost a lot of potential customers simply because of price point. I think QW will lack attention as well.   

I don't want to get off topic either, so I ask, why is there nobody, who enjoys this, giving a better first impression? Its mostly "good job" QW or "it works fine for me". Empty justification for something that was longed for, but a sense of underlying disappointment and remorse. To be "just satisfied" with anything is not helping the advancement of anything. I prefer a higher standard when a higher price is in play. To make it a little more clear, it is not going to be my problem (expense) that it took QW so long to develop this product.👨‍🎓   

I want to hear, " man did you all see the depth of...." or "I would pay $300 for this!!", no, there are no elaborate or specific complements. Very similar to skyforce the way I see it. Possibly because it has not been but a couple days since release, but my first day with the PMDG 744 back in FS9 was a WOW moment to say the least. The subsequent releases from PMDG have gotten even more WOW on the very first flight. And the documentation one gets with PMDG products is unmatched in flight simulation....totally worth the price. 📚

I came to this discussion hoping for jaws dropped at the quality. I will say that I was looking forward to this 787, and I may still get it, depending on any specific unbiased complements, patches as needed, and a sale price.🤩

Take Hi-Fi Technologies, they have arguably the most invaluable and most excellent product known to flight simming in ActiveSky. They sell it at a low price (for what you get) and its on sale early and a lot. Their customer service is excellent, their product is excellent. A proven long successful history in flight simulation and no outrageous prices. We need more companies like Hi Fi, a true success story, and great for everybody.👍

I need to be very happy with a $70 airliner add-on, and I'm not positive I would be in this case just yet. For me, price is NOT the issue, its what we get for the price...value.💡

10 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Now I do agree, pricing has gotten out of control. 

I'm sorry, but you DO NOT agree that pricing has gotten out of control.

By buying the QW 787 on the first day knowing about previous bugs and not checking if they were fixed, you contribute to the out of control pricing and out of control bugs. Unless of course you have gotten a refund, but you have not.  

I have seen 2 videos of the QW 787 in P3D, LNAV and ILS capture (fundamental & basic) are not at a $70 price point standard.  Here is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JALqjB8ESSY

1 hour ago, pracines said:

I never defended the price of FSL stuff, and I never bought their stuff only because of the price, same with the CS 757, and what Blackbox is doing is....well, I will keep that to myself. I cannot justify outrageous prices, without a proven history. PMDG have proven themselves to be pioneers and they lead the way. QW have not proven to be "study level" yet, neither has CS. FSL dives itself into "ultra (because of the price) study level", but they should have been priced below $90 in my view. I know for sure FSL lost a lot of potential customers simply because of price point. I think QW will lack attention as well.   

I don't want to get off topic either, so I ask, why is there nobody, who enjoys this, giving a better first impression? Its mostly "good job" QW or "it works fine for me". Empty justification for something that was longed for, but a sense of underlying disappointment and remorse. To be "just satisfied" with anything is not helping the advancement of anything. I prefer a higher standard when a higher price is in play. To make it a little more clear, it is not going to be my problem (expense) that it took QW so long to develop this product.👨‍🎓   

I want to hear, " man did you all see the depth of...." or "I would pay $300 for this!!", no, there are no elaborate or specific complements. Very similar to skyforce the way I see it. Possibly because it has not been but a couple days since release, but my first day with the PMDG 744 back in FS9 was a WOW moment to say the least. The subsequent releases from PMDG have gotten even more WOW on the very first flight. And the documentation one gets with PMDG products is unmatched in flight simulation....totally worth the price. 📚

I came to this discussion hoping for jaws dropped at the quality. I will say that I was looking forward to this 787, and I may still get it, depending on any specific unbiased complements, patches as needed, and a sale price.🤩

Take Hi-Fi Technologies, they have arguably the most invaluable and most excellent product known to flight simming in ActiveSky. They sell it at a low price (for what you get) and its on sale early and a lot. Their customer service is excellent, their product is excellent. A proven long successful history in flight simulation and no outrageous prices. We need more companies like Hi Fi, a true success story, and great for everybody.👍

I need to be very happy with a $70 airliner add-on, and I'm not positive I would be in this case just yet. For me, price is NOT the issue, its what we get for the price...value.💡

We get it...you love PMDG and there can be no other. 🙂

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

51 minutes ago, pracines said:

I have seen 2 videos of the QW 787 in P3D, LNAV and ILS capture (fundamental & basic) are not at a $70 price point standard.  Here is one of them:

Not quite sure I understand. That video is from FSX and was uploaded within a day of the initial release. Since then, well over 100 bugs fixed.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

1 hour ago, pracines said:

I'm sorry, but you DO NOT agree that pricing has gotten out of control.

By buying the QW 787 on the first day knowing about previous bugs and not checking if they were fixed, you contribute to the out of control pricing and out of control bugs. Unless of course you have gotten a refund, but you have not.  

I have seen 2 videos of the QW 787 in P3D, LNAV and ILS capture (fundamental & basic) are not at a $70 price point standard.  Here is one of them:

Why quote my statement? I didn’t say the QW price was too high. I was referring to prices in general. As far as the QW price. I’m getting my moneys worth and than some. This is a great plane. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

OK.  I did it; I bought it.  It works and not too bad.  Much like their 757, there are few things that aren't modeled which we've come to expect in the sim world.  This being QW however and having owned their 757, I was anticipating some missing things - like no forecast in VNAV.

The VNAV decent did work OK for me; no issues.  I did not get a chance to test the ILS but that was my error, not QW.

The most major issue right now is CTD when the WX radar is turned on/in use with Active Sky running.  Which did happen to me.

In short, no regrets here.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Decided to give the manuals a spin tonight and I was blown away at some of the things I was missing. I’ve done numerous flight in the 787 so far with no problems but I’ve been flying it like the 777. There are some really cool features in this plane. One of the things I discovered is not to have the LNAV engaged when trying to grab the ILS approach. Even though I’m controlling my heading and altitude via the AP, some pilots will leave LNAV on all the way to intercept which will causes ILS approach issues like many have reported. I also learned more on how the EFB works and how data is sent back and forth to the FMC. I for one am having a blast with this plane. If anything give the tutorial a look over. 

Note: When using LNAV to intercept the final approach course, LNAV
might parallel the localizer without capturing it.

Dan

I flew one flight without reading the manual.  KIAH to KDEN using the full autoland at KDEN on 35R.  My cruise was set at FL400 per Simbrief and she actually wanted to go up to FL440.

There were no problems on any of the flight.  Localizer capture and then ILS capture and descent worked fine.  The landing was a bit heavy at 480 fpm but otherwise as good as my PMDG and better than my CS 757.  

My only real complaint is the lighting  in the LED screens when using HDR Lighting in P3D.  I turned it off for the flight.  I am uncertain about reading the screens during manual landings.  Next flight, I will give that a go.

It really is a deal at $70 for the fly high and long crowd.  

4 hours ago, Kyle Schurb said:

Not quite sure I understand. That video is from FSX and was uploaded within a day of the initial release. Since then, well over 100 bugs fixed.

I'm so glad somebody brought this up, I was full of hope. Yes that was an FSX vid - Now here is the same NON ILS intercepting AP in the all new P3D version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDIsRBwPmQ

Since "100 bugs" were fixed, why not the extremely basic function of an ILS intercept. The QW 787 AP remains very stupid. The logic of a $25 (QW757) add-on. 

I hope you understand now. 😀

I'm still waiting to hear about specific first impressions that justify the $70 price tag other than "great work" or "I have no issues".

I really want to support QW, if anybody can give me a good, logical, reasonable, cause to do so, please do tell. I will not rely on hype or empty praise when I can plainly see there is still much work to do with basic AP logic.

I would not be here if QW allowed us in the 787 forums.     

4 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Why quote my statement? I didn’t say the QW price was too high. I was referring to prices in general. As far as the QW price. I’m getting my moneys worth and than some. This is a great plane. 

Hi Dan,

You did not specify "prices in general" or I would not have said anything. I'm genuinely happy that you are pleased with the QW 787.

4 hours ago, Kyle Schurb said:

Indeed. +1.

But there's nothing you can say, do or argue, which will change his mind. It doesn't matter if the video is old and doesn't represent the product in it's current state - it does the job of supporting his point! 
Like the majority of 'haters' and 'negativists' in here, he doesn't own the 787, yet he scolds and berets the addon and the company. There's conclusions, which are being drawn, that there's just no basis for and personally I think it's highly unjustified.

But I guess I should have seen it coming... people always emerge, when a new product launches and it's (interestingly enough) the same points, which are being pulled out and focused on, and the same people who emerges.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh, but I'm so tired of unbiased posts and unjustified, uninformed conjecture about an addon or a company business decisions and working methods.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471