shafs67

X plane 11 why should i change

Recommended Posts

Hay guys i have been using flightsim longer than i care to remember and about a year a changed to prepar 3dv4 and liked it but i hear lot of people saying xplane is more like real flying is this true.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Download teh demo and try for yourself and watch the presentation at flightsim expo in another post.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are asking the wrong question.  Why should you need to change.  You already have p3d so the question is should I add X-plane 11 to my computer.  

I would say yes.  Many things it does much better than p3d but p3d does many things better too.

You should have both and use the best tool for the kind of flight you do today.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, harrry said:

You are asking the wrong question.  Why should you need to change.  You already have p3d so the question is should I add X-plane 11 to my computer.  

I would say yes.  Many things it does much better than p3d but p3d does many things better too.

You should have both and use the best tool for the kind of flight you do today.

I agree with Harry its good to have the option to to have both sims.

44 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Download teh demo and try for yourself and watch the presentation at flightsim expo in another post.

The demo is a really great idea 🙂 definitely  try it shafs67.

Edited by Silverbird
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shafs67 said:

Ok thanks guys i will try the demo.

Make sure you set your joystick/yoke setting as follows: (suggested by jcomm) 

- you set your artificial stability sliders full left ( no art stab )

- your sensitivity sliders to about 50%

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of P3D... Today I have only one option...The difference is huge. I have never had so much fun flying with a simulator. I use XP11 with Ortho4xp ZL 16 and today I fly in the real world with a huge pleasure.I'm looking forward to the orbx UK release... and you will see what I am talking about...

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a long time FSX/P3D guy, XP11 is amazing many respects such as aircraft physics and engine behavior. As a GA user, the two areas I would like to see improvement are AI and ATC.

For AI, I use World Trade 3. I wish it were more like My Traffic or Ultimate Traffic Live with more of plug-n-play or install and forget it with traffic at GA airports as well as major air carrier terminals. Not trying to be critical, I just wish things were more advanced. 

For ATC, there are plug-ins for RC4 and PF3 which are ok but for basic VFR there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice. There seems to be a loyal following for Pilot 2 Air (P2A) but I have yet to embrace that option. there is also a program called 124th ATC, but I'm not that familiar and I don't think it handles VFR. The internal XP11 ATC seems quite limited and unrealistic. 

I would be very appreciative for any additional feedback 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the release of x plane 11 everything is going faster and faster. I am sure that with time all these defects will be erased. But the most important for me is the feeling that it provides. The x plane team is amazing and they will not leave the boat as early...you can trust me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, filou said:

I was a big fan of P3D... Today I have only one option...The difference is huge. I have never had so much fun flying with a simulator. I use XP11 with Ortho4xp ZL 16 and today I fly in the real world with a huge pleasure.I'm looking forward to the orbx UK release... and you will see what I am talking about...

https://fsnexus.com/orbx-uk-ireland-photoreal-regions-announced-for-p3d-fsx-x-plane-and-aerofly-fs2/

I just found out that ORBX intends to release the scenery first for XP11. But do you think it will be so much better than Ortho4XP plus OSM overlay plus landmarks?

Edited by Cargostorm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

I just found out that ORBX intends to release the scenery first for XP11. But do you think it will be so much better than Ortho4XP plus OSM overlay plus landmarks?

Yes. The orthos are all being hand-blended and colour matched, the autogen is far more accurate and authentically themed and there will be hundreds of landmarks specially made for the scenery. The England/Wales scenery has accurate building heights and even individual trees at the correct height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orbx has no interest in doing the same thing as ortho4xp or less good... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 2:19 AM, harrry said:

You are asking the wrong question.  Why should you need to change.  You already have p3d so the question is should I add X-plane 11 to my computer.  

I would say yes.  Many things it does much better than p3d but p3d does many things better too.

You should have both and use the best tool for the kind of flight you do today.

Well stated!  I have every and all from the major players. I fly all of them regularly. Why does ANYBODY have to 'choose'?!?  I never got that...when posts came up with that question.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 to Sesquashtoo. Just install as many sims as disk space will allow and enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically, yes, you can have and fly as many sims as you want. But maintaining a sim takes time.

  • keeping the sim itself up to date (unless it's FSX😊)
  • keeping add-ons up to date
  • installing new addons
  • gathering info about new releases, updates, bugs etc.
  • the list goes on...

 

All this takes more than enough time for one sim, and I definitely don't want to do that for two or more. I usually don't have more that two hours per week to spare for flightsimming, and sometimes a good portion of that get's used for something from the above list.
Sure, you could fly at least "the other sim" with everything out of the box or with an absolute minimum of add-ons. But where's the fun in that? 😊

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mgeiss said:

Technically, yes, you can have and fly as many sims as you want. But maintaining a sim takes time.

  • keeping the sim itself up to date (unless it's FSX😊)
  • keeping add-ons up to date
  • installing new addons
  • gathering info about new releases, updates, bugs etc.
  • the list goes on...

 

All this takes more than enough time for one sim, and I definitely don't want to do that for two or more. I usually don't have more that two hours per week to spare for flightsimming, and sometimes a good portion of that get's used for something from the above list.
Sure, you could fly at least "the other sim" with everything out of the box or with an absolute minimum of add-ons. But where's the fun in that? 😊

Well...er...all my sims:  XP11.21, P3D 4.2, FSX-SE, AF FS2, FS9.9999999 and all their myriads of add-ons, are all 'caught up'.  Each sim, has it's unique charm...and so,  as stated, all get flown. 🙂

Cheers,

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I barely have time to keep up with one (XP) maybe when I retire....but by then XP will be miles ahead of the rest, so most likely I'll still be a one sim guy.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, tonywob said:

+1 to Sesquashtoo. Just install as many sims as disk space will allow and enjoy.

Hi Tony, can we expect to see large regional packages from orbx (like OpenLCs: custom autogen, custom textures and no Orthos/Orthos limited to some areas).

I mean, I really like X-Plane 11, but would be awesome to have some landmarks + regional autogen + more accurate terrain textures on places like South America, Africa and Asia.

I can understand if you can't talk about that, but I'm just curious since I saw your old projects with W2XP.

Thanks,

Edited by ca_metal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I can understand if you can't talk about that, but I'm just curious since I saw your old projects with W2XP.

There are lots of plans for X-Plane, and more regions and projects planned, but nothing official to announce yet 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find X-Plane's ground handling to be atrocious. So bad it makes the sim unusable as far as realism and immersion. It has nice graphics for pretty screenshots but until they can figure out how to fix the ground handling, X-Plane collects virtual dust on my computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tonywob said:

There are lots of plans for X-Plane, and more regions and projects planned, but nothing official to announce yet 🙂

Good to know. Will keep my eyes on the announcements. Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HDUltraClassic said:

I find X-Plane's ground handling to be atrocious. So bad it makes the sim unusable as far as realism and immersion. It has nice graphics for pretty screenshots but until they can figure out how to fix the ground handling, X-Plane collects virtual dust on my computer.

It got better in 11.20 / 21, and Austin mentioned it's going to be fine tuned in 11.30 too.

It's a convergence process...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got into xplane i deleted all my FSx addons, backups, threw away all my diskx for two reasons, im not spending money on 2 sims and xplane is far better, still needs to catch up on the carrier stuff, hope it gets some attention. over $3000 au of fsx stuff gone for good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now