birdguy

Getting a new simulator and computer...

In a manner of speaking.

For years I've had to lower my screen resolution and size because the instrument numbers and GPS displays were too tiny for these old eyes to see even with my computer glasses.

But next week I'm getting new eyes...cataract surgery.  Since I spend so much time on my computer and reading books I opted for the near vision lenses instead of the distant vision lenses (I will still need glasses for driving).  She will use lenses that will correct my astigmatism problem too.  My optometrist told me he has corrected it as far as it will go with glasses.  My doctor assured me I will be able to read fine print without glasses.  I get my left eye done next week and the right eye the following week.

Noel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Getting the near vision lenses is the best option IMO. It is the route I went, although I have a bit different focal length in each eye - about 2 feet in my left eye and 3-4 feet in my right. This allows me to read books and labels (when shopping) without glasses etc. The end result is clear vision from arms length to about 6 feet. I only wear my glasses for driving, outdoor activities and watching television now, but even my distance vision is far better than before the cataract surgery. I even meet the drivers license requirements without my glasses. I've talked to numerous individuals who have regretted getting the distance lenses and then can't even see themselves clearly in the mirror without putting glasses on.

Best of luck with your proceedure and improved eyesight. The difference can be huge.

• Like 1

Sorry if I bored you or posted something so inconsequential Ed.  I apologize.

Noel

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

In a manner of speaking.

For years I've had to lower my screen resolution and size because the instrument numbers and GPS displays were too tiny for these old eyes to see even with my computer glasses.

But next week I'm getting new eyes...cataract surgery.  Since I spend so much time on my computer and reading books I opted for the near vision lenses instead of the distant vision lenses (I will still need glasses for driving).  She will use lenses that will correct my astigmatism problem too.  My optometrist told me he has corrected it as far as it will go with glasses.  My doctor assured me I will be able to read fine print without glasses.  I get my left eye done next week and the right eye the following week.

Noel

An old girlfriend of mine had that done. After that, the lenses in her eyes would catch the light sometimes, and I would joke that she had been replaced with a replicant in the hospital. 😋

wB50kX.jpg

46 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Sorry if I bored you or posted something so inconsequential Ed.  I apologize.

Noel

Sorry Noel, not my style. I thought you were missing some part of the information you wanted to present. My mistake and apologies.

Ed

Edited by edpatino

Hope your surgery turns out well and you can crank you your display up

Has it done 14 years ago and it's been a game changer. My eyes are finally starting to deteriorate again so I expect glasses are in my future.

Vic

It's Ok Ed.  I tend to be sarcastic sometimes.

If you're still in contact with her HiFlyer tell her to stop smoking.

Well, I'm two months away from being 85 Vic.  I think the procedure will last me a lifetime.

Noel

Had both done several years ago. If I knew how much better my vision would be, I'd have done it sooner! Just make sure you follow all the directions pre surgery. Use all the eye drops and so forth. It prevents problems later.

I didn't realize I was completely blind in my left eye from the congenital cataract until they put the patch on the right eye after the surgery. Suddenly everything went black. It was quite a shock. I guess the blindness came on gradually, and I adjusted without realizing. It was a congenital cataract after all...

Sue

Edited by Penzoil3

Gosh Noel, I didn't think there was any one on the forum older than me!! [83].

85 and 83 years and flight simmimg...

That’s awesome...good on both of you!!!

Sure is fun getting old(er) isn't it!

It could be worse!

What if we did not have computers but had to knit or something like that?

:wacko: !

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer

Edited by SpiritFlyer
  • Like 1

I just finished a good book titled '80 Days'.  It's the true story about Nellie Bly, a woman reporter (rare in those days) who was sent by her newspaper on an around the world trip to beat the record of the fictional character Phineas Fogg in Jules Verne's book 'Around the World in 80 days.  She beat the record by a few days and became an instant celebrity.

The epilogue follows he through the rest of her life and quotes her about growing old.  She said, "Growing old takes a lot of courage and a good sense of humor." 

BTW Sue, cataracts are not the only thing that can gradually bring on blindness in one eye without you noticing it.  So can glaucoma.  Older people should get checked once a year and not with the air puff.  Go to an optometrist that measures it mechanically after numbing the eye.  It can't be cured but the effects t can be slowed down with eye drops.

Noel

What else am I going to do Gerry?  I can't get into a real cockpit anymore.  Although a couple years ago a friend who owns an American Yankee flew into town to spend a weekend with us and took me up for a little stick time.  My landing wasn't the greatest.

Noel

9 minutes ago, birdguy said:

What else am I going to do Gerry?  I can't get into a real cockpit anymore.  Although a couple years ago a friend who owns an American Yankee flew into town to spend a weekend with us and took me up for a little stick time.  My landing wasn't the greatest.

Noel

What platform are you using? P3D,FSX or X-plane?

Primarily FSX.  I did switch to P3Dv4 but eventually the lack of favorite aircraft in my FSX collection made me re-install FSX along P3D.  I was switching off and on between them.

I had numerous Orbx scenery problems with P3D like buildings not showing up at airports and I spent a lot of time with Orbx support getting them straighten out.  Eventually I found myself using FSX more and more.  I liked the fact that the military traffic with MyTraffic worked with FSX but not P3D.  

I don't have anything against P3D, I just feel more comfortable with FSX.

Noel

My ex wife had two cornea transplants because of a disease called keratoconus, both while we were married, with the second one turning out much better, done at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale Arizona.  Her first boyfriend dumped her when he learned of her vision problems, one of the reasons I fell in love with her was I had vision problems of my own, having an odd type of reading blindness in my left eye all my life.  Even after divorce we remain close friends and if she is ever abandoned by her current boyfriend for her vision challenges as she grows older, I will take care of her even if we live apart, somehow, someway.  After all she is the mother of our wonderful daughter. 

My vision has changed over the years.  I was born far sighted, lost partial vision in my left eye due to a 106 fever when I was a toddler, it dilated and lets in too much light, hence I cannot perceive text well with it, but I can see outstandingly well with it at night and well enough to drive, having great peripheral vision in it.  It caused me trouble when I was young with depth perception but a keen interest in playing catch with football and frisbee helped me out as I grew older.  I was able to fly with the impairment since Light Sport allows you to fly if you have a drivers license.  I was even told I could fly GA with a medical waiver, but I will not try that for a few more years, once I see how electric aircraft pan out as trainers, which I am highly interested in with the new coming solid state and capacitor battery tech coming out in a few years now that Graphene can be made more readily than before (what will Tesla do with all their Lithium Ion investment?).

One great thing about far sightedness is as we grow older we get something called "second sight".  Our vision improves, and another benefit was when taking flying lessons I could nail traffic from a long distance away and make course corrections if needed before my CFI even caught it, like one time when our practice area was near a gliderport, near Maricopa Arizona as we flew out of Chandler I could spot them in the distance, but they did not infringe on our practice area and we avoided them.  Makes me want to drop to Xplane11 now and fly the glider--bye bye, lol...

John

Edited by Cactus521
  • Like 1

Thanks Howard.  Despite what everyone tells me about how easy this procedure is I am still a bit nervous.  I've never had an operation before.  This is the first time any part of me has been opened up.  Even though it is an outpatient procedure I'm still nervous about it.  I go in on Wednesday for the first eye.

Noel