HiFlyer

[REAL ATC] Several aircraft witness a UFO OVER IRELAND

LOLZ 😃

• Like 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"Appeared to be multiple objects following the same sort of trajectory, and very bright where we were."

"Banked over to the right and then climbed away at speed from our perspective."

I'm an amateur astronomer (at least in a previous life when I lived under less cloudy skies!). That's a classic description of a "bolide," a meteor that breaks up on entry to the atmosphere. Sometimes they can skip off the atmosphere, which might explain that last report of change in flight path, but I think it's more likely just a trick of perspective. Maybe distortion through the cockpit windscreen.

Bright meteors -- especially the more spectacular bright fragmenting bolides -- are far more common than most people realize, except for those living in dark sky areas of the planet. Or airline pilots.

• Upvote 1

I think it was swamp gas from a weather balloon that was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

• Like 1

After watching many UFO documentaries, I've always been curious as to why, after travelling halfway across the Universe and probably through countless wormholes, bending the fabric of time etc, do they have to switch on lights when they arrive on this planet? 😂

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

"Appeared to be multiple objects following the same sort of trajectory, and very bright where we were."

"Banked over to the right and then climbed away at speed from our perspective."

I'm an amateur astronomer (at least in a previous life when I lived under less cloudy skies!). That's a classic description of a "bolide," a meteor that breaks up on entry to the atmosphere. Sometimes they can skip off the atmosphere, which might explain that last report of change in flight path, but I think it's more likely just a trick of perspective. Maybe distortion through the cockpit windscreen.

Bright meteors -- especially the more spectacular bright fragmenting bolides -- are far more common than most people realize, except for those living in dark sky areas of the planet. Or airline pilots.

I have seen similar things from the ground, usually around times of meteor showers.  November is during the time of the Leonids Meteor shower although it happens later in the month, there is always some activity on the periphery of it and other meteor showers.  UFO reports always climb during these times, like during and just before and after the Perseid meteor showers in August and so on.  I have seen beautiful displays when I used to live in Napa and on the periphery of Phoenix, usually after midnight but during the Perseids also at dusk. 

However when living in Napa I and some of my friends in different locations saw a series of stationary lights high overhead that would move rapidly in about a 10 degree arc, directly to our north.  I watched them until it was time for my Mom and I to drive home from the store.  This is the only time I have seen something amongst the stars I could not explain, although I am sure there was some logical reason for it, like unseen overhead clouds just blocking certain stars.  Still it was profound enough for a close friend to comment on it, who was clear across town from where I was. 

I also saw some spooky, unexplained weather in Napa in the spring of 1980, my only experience with a Tornado in Napa (although I have been in many in the Midwest so I know what the are) where my father said the funnel went right overhead, a small F0-F1 Tornado that still tore off roof tiles and toppled an 80 foot pine tree, virtually uprooting it.  And yes, it sounded like a freight train coming thru, and my impish mind took a while to register that the closest train tracks were miles away, too late to avoid getting caught in the storm. 

What was spooky about it is unforecasted weather came upon us while we were golfing.  In twenty minutes we went from absolutely clear skies, dead calm, to cumulus, to cumulonimbus, then thunder, then the Tornado.  There was not even a trace of high clouds in the sky when we went golfing that day.  Just like they say, the Tornadic weather came out of nowhere as if some giant hand in the sky arranged it.  When the funnel passed over me my father reported I just vanished as I tried to run for the cover of the pro shop about 50 yards to my west. 

The Tornado came from the west to east and exited to the southeast leaving about a 300 yard wide swath of damage, broken tree limbs, torn off roof tiles in its wake, its path on the ground was approx a third of a mile.  I had no time to be scared, and during the height of it the sound was so loud I could no longer hear, I had zero visibility, just solid bronze dust all around me and I felt wind from all directions holding me upright like I was in a narrow box.  Then it was gone and I looked back to see my astonished father looking at me, then in the direction of the tree that was uprooted.  No one was hurt that day but our pride.  I called it an unidentified flying freight train, and in Napa of all places, not Tornado alley.  Naoa has had other reported Tornadoes about every ten years or so, usually during times of unsettled, unpredictable weather.

John

John

11 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

After watching many UFO documentaries, I've always been curious as to why, after travelling halfway across the Universe and probably through countless wormholes, bending the fabric of time etc, do they have to switch on lights when they arrive on this planet? 😂

LoL my first and only laugh of the day. 

• Like 1

that thing was astronomical 😄

Yes I agree, if they are out there we won't see em, they won't want us too. They wouldn't be turning on the flash lights to make themselves known

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

They're highly advanced, but they can't bend the laws of physics enough to eliminate the side effect of friction when they brake into the Earth's atmosphere.They just hope we won't notice that.

By the way... you can tell the speed of a meteor from the color. Slower ones are yellow shading into the orange as they burn, especially the fragmenting bolides.

The really fast ones leave a very long green ionization trail from the electrons stripped out and glowing in the atmosphere.

If you ever see a blue meteor trail, that's an alien ship braking down from near lightspeed into the atmosphere from the Cherenkov effect. That's the cue to start digging a hole in your back yard for shelter.

3 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Because the FAA mandates it and they don't wanna lose their license.  Reporting to FSDO is not fun.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Because the FAA mandates it and they don't wanna lose their license.  Reporting to FSDO is not fun.

😂 My exact thoughts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

They're highly advanced, but they can't bend the laws of physics enough to eliminate the side effect of friction when they brake into the Earth's atmosphere.They just hope we won't notice that.

By the way... you can tell the speed of a meteor from the color. Slower ones are yellow shading into the orange as they burn, especially the fragmenting bolides.

The really fast ones leave a very long green ionization trail from the electrons stripped out and glowing in the atmosphere.

If you ever see a blue meteor trail, that's an alien ship braking down from near lightspeed into the atmosphere from the Cherenkov effect. That's the cue to start digging a hole in your back yard for shelter.

Great information. I will purchase my fallout shelter now. Do they have them on Amazon? By the way, which planet are you from? In your post, should you not be replacing "They" with "We"?😁

Edited by Peter Webber

Well that's it--no more Irish Coffee for the flight crews...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Well that's it--no more Irish Coffee for the flight crews...

No ways. I love my Irish Coffee...but then again only when on leave...😁

• Like 1

Whilst Paraffin's suggestion sounds perfectly reasonable, I can't help wondering how airline pilots can describe the trajectory of a bolide breaking up in Earth's atmosphere as "banked over to the right, and then climbed away at speed....".

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Well, they are below 10,000 feet, so they know to slow to 250 knots and turn on the lights! Just goes to show you how intelligent they are. I still have FO's that forget that! 🙂

• Like 1

The audio would be great to add to my ProATC-X! 👽

• Like 2

The Aliens were making their way back having just stopped off for a pint of Guinness at a local pub in Shannon. Its famous across the galaxy you know.☘️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The audio would be great to add to my ProATC-X! 👽

I thought the audio would be great to fly by too.  Amazing, so much traffic over the Atlantic.  When I had FS9 I loaded it with AI and enjoyed taking off out of JFK and watching the twinkling lights of Transatlantic traffic.  Sometimes when I sim I listen to LiveATC off of the web, it is a great site to visit and adds and ambiance to simming. 

I still have a scanner at my ex wife's house which still works 30 years after I bought it.  Also a shortwave radio for me to pick up High Freq Oceanic transmissions.  I modified it, since it would mute when trying to tune frequencies, which required opening the radio, isolating a hair thin wire, and cutting it.  Cut the wrong wire and former radio so like a surgeon I rehearsed the procedure.  I did it twice, to my old Shortwave radio which sadly broke and to the new one my ex wife bought me for Christmas.  My first real hack, found out how to do it way back when when I had Prodigy for my "web" service, we are talking decades ago. 

I had a 50 foot antenna I clipped onto my whip antenna so I could pull in clear Oceanic transmissions.  Shortwave was the Internet way back then, allowing access to International broadcasts.  You were real lucky if you had a radio that could tune the high def air freqs on SSB.  I would also tune the airline freqs.  In all my listening, never heard a UFO report.  In Napa I used to listen to aircraft taking off from SFO then I would spot them with my telescope, quite fun.  In Phoenix I would do the same.  But with LiveATC no more need for a scanner or shortwave and I never got into listening to police or fire scanning, I preferred not to know what was going on there.

John

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Peter Webber said:

Me too!  After travelling across a continent or ocean or two I often wondered why airliners when they get close to their destination turn on those bright lights on the wings.

Noel

Them space aliens got fancy rides.  I gotta get inside one of them and take one for a spin 🤪

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

Them space aliens got fancy rides.  I gotta get inside one of them and take one for a spin 🤪

If my ride was pimped fancy enough to make .5 past lightspeed, I'd light it up with maximum bling bling, Boiiies!

Eat it, Terrans!!

y3O7sF.gif

• Like 1

9/30/18, around 3pm, british airways southbound on J174 approaching manta intersection reported a ufo off the leftside. described it as a vertical rod like object. i was about 20 miles behind him. dsappointed that i did not to see anything though.

Edited by KevinAu
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 5:43 PM, Cactus521 said:

I thought the audio would be great to fly by too.  Amazing, so much traffic over the Atlantic

I frequently listen to Shannon High Level on Live ATC in the early morning as the eastbound transatlantic traffic inbound to Europe tends to be very busy at that time of day, but unfortunately I decided to turn over and go back to sleep that morning!! 😴

Bill

John...

Shortwave was the Internet way back then, allowing access to International broadcasts.  You were real lucky if you had a radio that could tune the high def air freqs on SSB.  I would also tune the airline freqs.  In all my listening, never heard a UFO report.  In Napa I used to listen to aircraft taking off from SFO then I would spot them with my telescope, quite fun.  In Phoenix I would do the same.  But with LiveATC no more need for a scanner or shortwave and I never got into listening to police or fire scanning, I preferred not to know what was going on there.

Not really about aliens, but a much more terrifying subject....

As a youngster I used to listen regularly to Air traffic & local services with a home brewed battery powered regen receiver - using the 957 acorn valve (tube ?). This required 1.5v for the heater, and 120v HT battery...bit of a heavy 'portable' to carry around. However it travelled with me for quite a few years around the globe...

I had this 'tiny' receiver for years, and it came in very handy.

On 22nd October, 1962 I was the Radio Officer on a molasses tanker - berthed in Cienfuegos, Cuba. I had been ashore for a couple of hours for a looksee, and when I got back, panic had set in.

We sailed with a reduced cargo - someone had been banging their shoe in the UN General Assembly ? The 'old timers' here will know what I'm talking about...

News was scarce - we were being 'buzzed' regularly by very large aircraft - at very low low level - and the air traffic was rather 'heavy' also. I had the only receiver on the ship - the main marine setup - which could tune Voice of America or the BBC. So I used a previously built short range MF transmitter - a rehashed domestic radio - to rebroadcast those two stations around the ship on medium wave for the ships crew to tune in. Short wave receivers were rare then - a couple of Eddystones on one or two ships but not much else.

It was a rather scary occasion. My little acorn valve receiver, now with a small power supply running on 110v ships supply - worked hard that trip. During that time it felt creepy. whenever I wandered around the ship - to hear aircraft talking at high volume - due to my link up of the receivers to enable all to 'tune in' to the situation.

We were delighted to get back home - and to see that home was still there...

I bet Fr Bill will come in here - I was transmitting - on unauthorised frequencies - without a licence....(but out a sea - at very short range).

Regards

Bill

7 hours ago, BillCusick said:

I bet Fr Bill will come in here - I was transmitting - on unauthorised frequencies - without a licence....(but out a sea - at very short range).

When at sea, who would be the controlling authority? With such a short range no one would care anyway, since it's unlikely anyone else would hear your "cross-band repeater." :)

As for license, surely you had one from some authority if you were the ship's radio operator, but not for the MW frequency you used of course.

And yes, I remember who the shoe banger was... :laugh: