Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Prepar3 vs MFS Deluxe Edition

Up to now I used FSX as my flight simulator program.Since I consider to switch to

Prepar3 but before doing so I wonder what the advantage is.

Can anybody explain in a few words what I gain ? Prepar3 is quite expensive.

Thank you 

Paul 12

Herbert Werni

- more realistic weather (incl. fog) especially wit Active Sky for P3D

- 64bit which means no more OOMs

- Dynamic Lighting (depends also on add-ons)

- Better add-on management (xml system) - if the add-on developer  strictly follows P3D SDK

- Continuous development of the platform

just to name a few.

Edited by Nemo
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Like going from a Model T to a Modern auto. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Also take a look at your hardware when going from FSX to P3DV4

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Also, P3D is a DirectX 11 application (FSX is DX9), which allows a great deal of the video rendering workload to be shifted to the GPU, in turn allowing you to take advantage of the tremendous increase in GPU technology.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

If you take the price of FSX Deluxe on release pre order like I did and compare that to todays price then P3Dv4 is not that expensive. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, kaha said:

Also take a look at your hardware when going from FSX to P3DV4

This is the answer to consider first.  P3D isn't expensive but the hardware to run it is. 

ngxu_banner.png

If you are reasonably satisfied with FSX then you might consider waiting for Prepar3D V5.V4 was released in May 2017 and the release cycle is approximately a new version every 2 years.

The primary benefit is that  many 3rd party developers have switched from FSX to P3d.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ailchim said:

P3D isn't expensive but the hardware to run it is. 

P3D will run as smooth as FSX on the same hardware for the same graphic quality. You only need to improve hardware if you want to improve graphic quality (although admittedly most users will). Repurchasing addons if you use A2A, CaptainSim, HiFi and PMDG products will be expensive as those developers offer no upgrade path.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

If you are reasonably satisfied with FSX then you might consider waiting for Prepar3D V5.V4 was released in May 2017 and the release cycle is approximately a new version every 2 years.

If we go based on what Adam Breed (Prepar3d's Engineering Project Manager) said in a November interview, right before v4.4 was released:

Prepar3D v4 still has a lot of life left in it and it will likely be the longest active release we have done. Still, I think users are going to be very pleased where the platform is heading. No hints just yet!

It sounds like v5 is a way off yet. Better to upgrade now, than to wait 6 months.

Compared to FSX, Prepar3d has better support, better products, better use of your PC's resources, better visuals.
You need to decide if you're happy with what you already have or if you can justify investing in new aircraft and possibly new hardware.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I upgraded from FSX to P3Dv4 a few months ago.  I would say there is a strong benefit to upgrading, especially if you have lots of add-ons. 

With FSX, I always had to tone down the add-ons from their original capability just to avoid OOMs.  Or I had to constantly adjust configuration files in the (usually futile) hope that lower settings would allow me to complete the flight without crashing.  This was true even with fast and expensive hardware.

With P3dV4, I can run the add-ons at or close to the limit of the hardware I have.  Even if I had to purchase some of the add-ons again (and often the upgrade was free), it was worth it, because essentially for FSX I had purchased add-ons without really being able to use them.  Now I use all add-ons at their capacity, and the difference is stunning and game-changing!

Also, I haven't yet had to edit a P3D configuration file by hand.  All the settings can be handled through normal P3D menus.  Some may still benefit from careful tweaking of configuration files, but I've had very satisfactory performance without having to worry about tweaking.  

The only way I would say not to upgrade, is if you have few add-ons and you are happy with the FSX performance as is. 

Bottom line, if you've invested a lot in flight simulation, you're going to get a great return on investment if you upgrade to P3D.  If your investment is smaller then the gains will also be smaller.