Alexandre6463

Flightbeam NZWN released

Recommended Posts

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I saw this just today, and it looks very nice, and appears to be up to the usual Flightbeam standards, but i'm a little puzzled why they picked Wellington of all places, it's not even the largest airport in NZ, actually it comes in at #3, and i'm curious why they didn't do Auckland instead...??

I love the Flightbeam scenery's and I have all of them, but i'll probably pass on this one, as I don't do much flying in NZ anyway.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I saw this just today, and it looks very nice, and appears to be up to the usual Flightbeam standards, but i'm a little puzzled why they picked Wellington of all places, it's not even the largest airport in NZ, actually it comes in at #3, and i'm curious why they didn't do Auckland instead...??

I love the Flightbeam scenery's and I have all of them, but i'll probably pass on this one, as I don't do much flying in NZ anyway.

 

I read (or heard) somewhere that they are doing smaller airports because, essentially, they are easier and smaller "products" are released sooner/faster. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Simply put, Wellington is an interesting airport — variable weather and frequent high winds, plus visually compelling approaches with the bay and hills surrounding. The airport itself is modern and architecturally striking (though small). You also have the draw of it being in a detailed Orbx region.

I’ll take all of that over one more gray, boxy, generic airport in the middle of endless plains any day!

James

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I saw this just today, and it looks very nice, and appears to be up to the usual Flightbeam standards, but i'm a little puzzled why they picked Wellington of all places, it's not even the largest airport in NZ, actually it comes in at #3, and i'm curious why they didn't do Auckland instead...??

I love the Flightbeam scenery's and I have all of them, but i'll probably pass on this one, as I don't do much flying in NZ anyway.

 

They are working on NZAA as well but it won't be ready anytime soon. NZAA was delayed due to the major construction currently happening. They said on their forum that ''There was no point for them to continue building the entire product for release when the entire airport is being changed around. This was how NZWN got put on the road map ahead of the originally planned schedule.''

Edited by Alexandre6463
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, honanhal said:

variable weather and frequent high winds, plus visually compelling approaches

I do hope they have all the SODE features including auto daytime low vis runway / approach lighting & animated windsocks ... as do FBS's EDDN & KPDX.

They'll be surely needed at this airport .... for those who "enjoy" the flying as much as.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

An excellent choice of airport and one that ORBX should have done years ago.

Some great regional flying to be done.

Well done FB!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cowpatz said:

An excellent choice of airport and one that ORBX should have done years ago.

Some great regional flying to be done.

Well done FB!

Very true. Especially when combined with Godzone Nelson and Dunedin. Great flying over diverse country. Bring on Auckland and Christchurch (Godzone)! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, honanhal said:

Simply put, Wellington is an interesting airport — variable weather and frequent high winds, plus visually compelling approaches with the bay and hills surrounding. The airport itself is modern and architecturally striking (though small). You also have the draw of it being in a detailed Orbx region.

I’ll take all of that over one more gray, boxy, generic airport in the middle of endless plains any day!

James

Plus a realtively short runway with Cook Strait at one end and Wellington Harbour at the other. Challenging to say the least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

will absolutely buy this.. This looks very good. Haven't flown into Wellington for such a long time and was not aware a hotel had been built there.

As for NZAA will buy this also when it finally gets released (by the way, for NZAA, most external construction has completed in the current development phase -A new VIP lounge at the Eastern end of the Domestic Terminal is currently being built. Obviously more expansions are planned in the near future,. But you have to draw the line somewhere and about now I would suggest, is the time.:biggrin:.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, vadriver said:

I do hope they have all the SODE features including auto daytime low vis runway / approach lighting & animated windsocks ... as do FBS's EDDN & KPDX.

They'll be surely needed at this airport .... for those who "enjoy" the flying as much as.

Yes has SODE and a new feature called WETfx

Share this post


Link to post

Going to have to wait for Payday at the end of April before I can purchase this one... Delighted that its been released though as didnt expect it for much longer than this - With Christchurch out this month its going to be a great time to fly in New Zeland

Just noticed that the "Whats Next" section of the manual hints that FlightBeam will now concentrate on Auckland

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Alexandre6463 said:

They are working on NZAA as well but it won't be ready anytime soon. NZAA was delayed due to the major construction currently happening. They said on their forum that ''There was no point for them to continue building the entire product for release when the entire airport is being changed around. This was how NZWN got put on the road map ahead of the originally planned schedule.''

That makes sense, thanks for sharing that.

Share this post


Link to post

Not having ever flown in NZ, are there any other third party airports to pair this with?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, there are some.

- ORBX North and South Island as Basis, landclass and vector based scenery for both Islands.

- ORBX Milford Sound (NZMF)

- ORBX Queenstown (NZQN)

- ORBX Whangarei (NZWR)

- ORBX Gisborne (NZGS)

- GodZone Dunedin (NZDN and NZTI included)

- GodZone Nelson (NZNS)

Means: already some nice stuff for VFR flying. Godzone is working on a Christchurch rendition. Flightbeam might still be working on Auckland (NZAA).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I also got Godzone NZTG to work with FTX NZ NI.

Looking forward to flying in NZWN. Awesome looking airport!

Great job Flightbeam.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

There’s also Flytampa YSSY depending on what you’re flying

Edited by NZ255

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Anyone know if Flightbeam will have an upcoming "sale" on their products,

Mayday, Mothers day, Fathers day... any ole day sale.😉.

I know they won't have it on this new release but I'm looking to get KPDX and EDDN on sale.  

Last time they had an "over the pond sale" but only offered airports I already had..

 One reasons to love ORBX they have sales and offer Senior Discounts for items not on sale!

Edited by Polymerman
cap error

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Yes has SODE

their website features list only mentions SODE jetways ... unlike EDDN for example which mentions windsocks etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Chapstick said:

Not having ever flown in NZ, are there any other third party airports to pair this with?

Orbx YMML. Imaginesim WSSS SQ flys into NZWN via YMML

Orbx YBBN

FT YSSY

Orbx YBCG

Orbx NZQN

Godzone NZNS

Godzone NZDN

Godzone NZCH ( coming soon )

 

Edited by ZKOKQ

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Orbx YMML. Imaginesim WSSS SQ flys into NZWN via YMML

Orbx YBBN

FT YSSY

Orbx YBCG

Orbx NZQN

Godzone NZNS

Godzone NZDN

Godzone NZCH ( coming soon )

 

As well as ORBX American Samoa and there's a decent version of Rarotonga / Cook Islands

Edited by Drebin8

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Drebin8 said:

As well as ORBX American Samoa and there's a decent version of Rarotonga / Cook Islands

Yes forgot those. There is a payware Fiji too. Forgotten who though.

Share this post


Link to post

Then the sceneries by Pacific Islands Simulation should be mentioned as well. A whole bunch of island states are modeled by them, including Nauru, Tonga, Marshall Islands.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post

This is a very nice and scenic airport, and one I've been hoping they'll eventually port to X-Plane as well 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post

Wonderful airport with a lot of detail and stunning approaches from both directions. I am always amazed how Mir achieves great performance as well. Aside fps (I have my monitor set to 30Hz which it holds) there is no hesitation or even stuttering neither on approach nor on ground. Just fluid.

Now, while Wellington City doesn't look bad in NZNI, there is certainly room for improvement. I recall a former Godzone scenery (FS9...or even earlier?) which was more detailed and faithful. Maybe, now that we have an impressive representation for the airport, someone can provide a CityScape?

Kind regards, Michael

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now