Sign in to follow this  
GeeBee

P3D v4.5 Hotfix - Aliasing Increased ?

Definitely seeing more aliasing with same settings as before. Need to increase from 4xSSAA to 8x to smooth out jaggies and shimmer

Just me ?

+1 here

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

hmm, thats worrying. If thats true we would have to sacrifce the FPS we just re-gained with HF1 to maintain visual quality.

Are you guys comparing 4.4 with 4.5 HF1 or 4.5 with 4.5 HF1? I'm wondering because i recall something about v4.4 PBR shimmering was fixed in 4.5 (i skipped 4.4 entirely due to flightsim hiatius). I just hope they didnt have to roll this back in HF1 just to fix the FPS issues introduced with 4.5 

34 minutes ago, Woozie said:

hmm, thats worrying. If thats true we would have to sacrifce the FPS we just re-gained with HF1 to maintain visual quality.

Are you guys comparing 4.4 with 4.5 HF1 or 4.5 with 4.5 HF1? I'm wondering because i recall something about v4.4 PBR shimmering was fixed in 4.5 (i skipped 4.4 entirely due to flightsim hiatius). I just hope they didnt have to roll this back in HF1 just to fix the FPS issues introduced with 4.5 

It wasn’t fixed in 4.5 anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

It wasn’t fixed in 4.5 anyway. 

Ok, maybe not "fixed" but "significantly reduced" perhaps? Or really no improvement at all?

6 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Need to increase from 4xSSAA to 8x to smooth out jaggies and shimmer

I set 4xMSAA and FXAA in P3D. 

I have no jagg, no shimmer, and even the shadows are smooth. I don't get the blurry cockpit panels either, all crisp.

Nvidia Driver 430.64

I also gained 5-10 FPS with the hotfix

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, pracines said:

I have no jagg, no shimmer, and even the shadows are smooth. I don't get the blurry cockpit panels either, all crisp.

Nvidia Driver 430.64

That's funny I just turned on FXAA for the first time since getting p3d. It's very nice and smooths everything out. Not as blurry as it was when I used the first version p3d. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pracines said:

Nvidia Driver 430.64

Wow, always avoided FXAA as so many people said it made things look blurry.

Just tried these settings and as you said I had no jaggies, no shimmer and the

smoothest flight I have ever had in P3D. Also the bonus of being usable at night

with Dynamic Lighting. Textures were also the sharpest I have seen with no

autogen popping. I'm a very happy bunny. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

I upgraded back to 4.5, and applied one tweak suggested, tuned it a bit, and another I used with FSX.

I changed my AffinityMask Value to take the load off of core 0, because that is the core that windows uses for housekeeping, etc..... 

I used the Affinity Mask Calculator to turn P3D away from core 0, found on this website:

http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=utilties

That helped smooth out some photoscenery lags I was having, since I use a lot of that.

Then I adjusted my FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.11

This seems to help although I really felt one of the earlier 4.4 builds, or maybe it was the 4.3 build, was where I had the best performance.

John

12 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

I changed my AffinityMask Value to take the load off of core 0, because that is the core that windows uses for housekeeping, etc..... 

There were many posts by savvy people I trust, that it was a myth on the current O/S as Win10 knows much better than you how to distribute the load for its own housekeeping. But enjoy what it runs best for you, of course. Just consider that there's no 'theoretical substation' for it in Win10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pracines said:

Nvidia Driver 430.64

Pretty much the same experience here except that my Nvidia Driver isn't quite as up to date as yours.

Excellent finding @pracines !!! I have the 425.31 and I see the same. It should have to do with the latest hotfix. Very good news. 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Ever since dynamic lighting was released, I've avoided SSAA because of the massive hit to FPS using SSAA.

Like @pracines, I've been using 4xMSAA with FXAA with very little impact to FPS.

There is a slight blur added to the picture, inherent with using FXAA, but it's very slight and not as noticeable unless you are zoomed way out on a panel trying to read very small text.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato