VHOJT

Realistic Sky Textures - recommendations

Hello all,

I was hoping to gather some ideas on where I could find some realistic-looking sky textures for P3D.

I don't really like the default P3D ones - they have a strange glow at night, and I have ASCA, and I really don't like their sky textures much - usually they have a greenish/greyish/purpleish sort of tinge to them, unless there's a combination I haven't seen or tried.

At the moment, I am usign the ones that came with Ultimate Realism Pack v1.1 - which are good - but have quite a hazy look in the horizon.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rudy 🙂

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Obviously an expensive solution if you're just looking for sky textures but Sky Force 3D's 10-day set is excellent, plus you get the variety.

• Upvote 1

My favourite is still ENVTEX from TOGA.

ENVTEX has the most realistic sky textures in my opinion as well.

Natural Sky Project (available on Facebook if you search for 'Visuals by Pascal' page).
I'm currently using the 'Natural Sky Project' alongside his TomatoShade preset and I'm very happy with the visuals in P3D.

There was another set by Navid Hashemi (Navid's Sky) which produced some of the best skies back in P3Dv3 days but I just checked the URL and it seems to have been abandoned/taken over.

You can use ENVTEX with ASCA and disable the ASCA default textures.

ENVTEX has, IMO, the best looking sky textures currently available, and the ability to have them dynamically changed based on weather with ASCA is the best of both worlds.

My fav freeware sky textures are "KIWI" sky textures. The site is down, but you can download from the link above.

My fav payware is SkyForce 3D due to the fact that you also get the best clouds and structures + it works great with ASP4

Just now, DChockey08 said:

You can use ENVTEX with ASCA and disable the ASCA default textures.

ENVTEX has, IMO, the best looking sky textures currently available, and the ability to have them dynamically changed based on weather with ASCA is the best of both worlds.

Yeah, but the clouds and structures look awful.

1 minute ago, DJJose said:

Yeah, but the clouds and structures look awful.

You can disable them in ASCA and use SkyForce for the clouds.

Envtex has the best sky textures IMO.  But sky force are very good as well

Thanks chaps!  Sorry for the late reply.  You have given me lots of options to go and look at and possibly try out.  Thanks very much again.  I'll post back and let you know 🙂

Posted (edited)

For summer I use AURP 1.1. Second place is EnvTex.

Saldo_4_4%20v16%20June%201.jpg

Clouds : 256 ASCA Silk

My PTA V4.5 June preset

Edited by GSalden

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, DJJose said:

My fav freeware sky textures are "KIWI" sky textures. The site is down, but you can download from the link above.

The last set from KIWI is very good for summer. There's a download link.

https://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/145413-делаем-красиво-v4/?page=115&tab=comments#comment-3743209

Direct link to the sky set:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/meqlasgzij5q4nc/Set_GREEN.zip?dl=0

All sets from KIWI: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jti90klfs3phrhv/AAA_Q-bq2LFAWjZe7rGFnWRga?dl=0

Edited by Nickbe
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

SkyForce, soft and natural looking IMO, but this topic is a bit like asking what's your favourite car colour.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickbe said:

I always use Kiwi’s Sun with its sunglow and others from him for other seasons.

You guys are awesome.  Lots of good ones to try - obviously I'll try the free ones first 🙂  If I ever get off the ground...still getting the hang of the FSL ATSU haha.  I see you've got past that, David, seeing as your A320 is in the air haha.  You're right, it is very subjective.  I guess I don't like any strange hues in the sky, ASCA seems to have a lot of strange greenish/reddish/purpleish tones.

12 hours ago, GSalden said:

For summer I use AURP 1.1. Second place is EnvTex.

Clouds : 256 ASCA Silk

My PTA V4.5 June preset

Thanks, Gerard.  You've given me a good idea for cloud settings 🙂  AURP 1.1 - is that Ultimate Relaism Pack 1.1??  Just wondering what the A is?  Or is it something different?  Do you  have a  link?  Love your presets btw 🙂 

12 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Thanks for the Kiwi links, Nick!  I have downloaded them safe to my computer now! 

6 hours ago, VHOJT said:

Thanks, Gerard.  You've given me a good idea for cloud settings 🙂  AURP 1.1 - is that Ultimate Relaism Pack 1.1??  Just wondering what the A is?  Or is it something different?  Do you  have a  link?  Love your presets btw 🙂 

It is Atmosphere Ultra Real Pack from RSDesign ( S.mm.rk.t.. ) + my Shader preset. 

19 hours ago, GSalden said:

They almost look like cartoon clouds

On 6/4/2019 at 6:54 AM, Sethos1988 said:

I agree 100%.

My favorite combo is this:  SkyForce, Environment Force, and Active Sky for P3d (for weather).  Love the effect everywhere in the world.

Stan

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:54 PM, Sethos1988 said:

yep agree with  you   thought  david  pics  a lot  better  showing  the  clouds

• Like 1

Envtex sky textures are very realistic, highly recommended. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 7:54 AM, Sethos1988 said:

LOL..  in an AC at above the clouds and the sun shining on them clouds are very bright . Ever looked down on the clouds from a flying AC around noon in summer ?

The power of the sun has a big influence on the brightness. Pilots often have their sunglasses on ...

Here the same clouds ( same day , same time ) but seen from beneath :

Saldo_4_4%20v16%20June%202.jpg

It all depends on the sunpower, type of clouds and altitude. See my vids ( link at the bottom ).

Here in winter ( less sunpower, so less bright ) :

That is why my PTA preset sets has a different preset for every month. Shadow strenght, colors , visibility etc not change on the day depending on the weather and the Environment but also on what time of the year..

EF will get there but at this point I see too many people having issues. Even the Fs friend of mine who bought EF on my advice has shelved it for now ( got black grass on several airports and clouds looking still too grey ) till a later moment ...

Everyone the Sim as he desires 😎

Edited by GSalden