Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am thinking of an upgrade. If I go from a 4790k to a 9900k do you think I will see much of a difference?

Thanks!

Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My flight sim computer is currently being upgraded from an i7- 2600k to an i9-9900k and I should have it back a week today. That may be too late to help you but if it's not I am happy to report if I see any improvement. I am also installing 2Tb Samsung 970 evo plus SSD and 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz so it may be difficult to precisely say how much of any improvement is just down to the CPU

  • Like 1

Regards

Nixon Thomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the switch a few weeks ago from 4790k to 9700k.

There is a substantial improvement, but other points have to be considered: went from W7 to W10 and from 1080ti to 2080ti.

Substantial improvement isn't about fps it is about enjoying higher visual settings for the sims.

Cheers


Pierre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RICHUK said:

I am thinking of an upgrade. If I go from a 4790k to a 9900k do you think I will see much of a difference?

Thanks!

Rich.

There's not enough info to have an opinion one way or the other.  Will you see much of a difference running what?  FSX?  P3D?  XPlane?  Leisure Suit Larry?

Video card?  Display?  RAM??

Regards

  • Like 1

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just made that leap... 4790k to 9900k. Also z390 mobo, 32 GB 3200 CAS14 RAM. I already had a 1080ti. Assuming you’re talking P3D, yes, I saw a great improvement.  

I use RTSS to sync to scanline x/2 on a 60hz tv at 4K. My toughest sceneries are getting a pretty solid 30ish FPS. The antialiasing and auto gen / scenery loading is the biggest improvement. 

Bruce

Edited by bbuckley
  • Like 1

Bruce Buckley | RW Commercial / Instrument / SEL / MEL

I9-9900K @5.0GHz, Maximus XI  Hero, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Saitek/Logitech Pro Yoke, Throttle Q, Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, WIN10, P3DV4.5, PTA, ASP4, REX TDSC Lots of ORBX stuff and some add on airports / aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.

Yes talking P3D, although Xplane and DCS too (this is a flight sim forum, no?). 

I know there are a lot of variables, but since P3D (and others) is so CPU dependent I wondered if the jump would be worth it. 

Bruce - your rig is pretty much what I had in mind. I also have a 108ti that I will re-use otherwise an upgrade for pretty much everything else.

Thanks all for the input.

 

Rich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 5:37 AM, RICHUK said:

Thanks all.

Yes talking P3D, although Xplane and DCS too (this is a flight sim forum, no?). 

I know there are a lot of variables, but since P3D (and others) is so CPU dependent I wondered if the jump would be worth it. 

Bruce - your rig is pretty much what I had in mind. I also have a 108ti that I will re-use otherwise an upgrade for pretty much everything else.

Thanks all for the input.

 

-Rich.

Hi Rich,

I'm in a similar boat but w/ an even older CPU, a 3930K SB-E six core.  I should see about a 44% increase in single-thread performance which is huge and clearly very worthwhile.   Along w/ it my 6 y/o original GTX Titan will be replaced by something, most likely RTX 2080Ti.   As I did 6y ago I bought best in class everything and it's lasted 6y now and still runs P3D with liquid smooth video performance as long as I live within its limitations.  So likely I will cough up the cash for RTX 2080Ti as I will plan to use the next box for another 6y.  Hopefully everything will fit in my wonderful Coolermaster HAF-X full case.   If so, and w/ 32G of decent ram (bleeding edge ram is highly overrated for any serious role in P3D performance IMO) the cost/day buying 9900KS + RTX 2080Ti, and if it survives 6y of my kind of use which is A LOT, the cost per day comes in at a paltry $1.18 US or less.  


Noel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Folks;

Ok so I am also thinking of upgrading from i7-4790K to i9-9900k. However the issue i have is my MB is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and the socket support is the LGA1150 which is what the i7-4790K is. However, the i9-9900k is.FCLGA1151

Did any of you had to change your MB to the for different socket support of 1151; since i am assuming that the 1150 MB would support the i9-9900k.

I am running FSX with great FPS and runs smooth so I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year hopefully around the same time as the launch of the new MS Flight Sim. So for now I don't mind upgrading my processor for a little extra smoothness with a little more visual.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, forshaw said:

Hello Folks;

Ok so I am also thinking of upgrading from i7-4790K to i9-9900k. However the issue i have is my MB is the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 and the socket support is the LGA1150 which is what the i7-4790K is. However, the i9-9900k is.FCLGA1151

Did any of you had to change your MB to the for different socket support of 1151; since i am assuming that the 1150 MB would support the i9-9900k.

I am running FSX with great FPS and runs smooth so I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year hopefully around the same time as the launch of the new MS Flight Sim. So for now I don't mind upgrading my processor for a little extra smoothness with a little more visual.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw

If you are running FSX, I would suggest staying put for now.. the 9900k will require a new motherboard / memory / PSU?  For FSX... pure overkill IMHO. :cool:

  • Upvote 1

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you are running FSX, I would suggest staying put for now.. the 9900k will require a new motherboard / memory / PSU?  For FSX... pure overkill IMHO. :cool:

Great. Understood, thanks Bert.

Forshaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, forshaw said:

Did any of you had to change your MB to the for different socket support of 1151; since i am assuming that the 1150 MB would support the i9-9900k.

Yes. You will need new motherboard, and the 9900K can get hot if you overclock (which is the point of the K) so you'll need new cooler (I put in an H100 AIO (water)) and new, faster DDR4 memory. And as @Bert Pieke said you'll need to make sure your current PSU can handle the load (I didn't change since I had a Corsair 850W PSU).

Bruce

  • Upvote 1

Bruce Buckley | RW Commercial / Instrument / SEL / MEL

I9-9900K @5.0GHz, Maximus XI  Hero, GTX 1080ti, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Saitek/Logitech Pro Yoke, Throttle Q, Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, WIN10, P3DV4.5, PTA, ASP4, REX TDSC Lots of ORBX stuff and some add on airports / aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, forshaw said:

...I am not looking to replace my entire rig until next year...

Then you should definitely wait.  There will be within the year new CPU's from Intel... and most interestingly AMD.  We might actually have some market competition after more than a decade of Intel calling all the shots (and prices).

Greg


i7-8086K @ 5.4GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600 Trident Z 15-15-15, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3D) and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe, Malware 10 Pro 64.  P3Dv4.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Then you should definitely wait.  There will be within the year new CPU's from Intel... and most interestingly AMD.  We might actually have some market competition after more than a decade of Intel calling all the shots (and prices).

Greg

Yeah, given the additional things mentioned that I would have to add (given that I am not experiencing any issues) I am going to stay put until next year. My rig is 5 years old, my cpu (i7-4790K ) is  overclocked to 4.4 and i have never had any instability issues. Of course I have a water cooler. I am running PMDG 747-8; iFLY 747 v2 all of my Airports are add-on, Active Sky 2016, DX10 (Steve Fixer); Rex 4 texture direct with soft clouds. I am actually getting 25-30 FPS into KJFK., around 20-25 with very heavy clouds, but it's smooth. I am still on FSX, Win 7 Pro, 

As you rightfully pointed out with new CPU from Intel, and others probably, within the next year, and with the upcoming new FS 2020 want to see how all of that plays together.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...