WilliamS

How much would people pay?

Hi,

I am working on a photorealistic scenery package of 4000 sq km around Innsbruck. A lot of work has gone in to it, so I was thinking of selling it as payware. How much would people pay for such a product?

Cheers,

Will

William Sandford

FSX:SE Player i5-7300HQ @ 2.5GHz, O/C 3.5GHz Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 1920x1080 AND IN NEED OF AN UPDATE!

When you say photorealistic, do you mean from satellite/aerial imagery? If so, presumably you had to pay a significant licensing fee to use it commercially. If it were me, I would be basing my pricing structure on how much the licensing and man hours have cost me, not asking the community. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Join the best X-Plane 11 Community at https://www.facebook.com/groups/XPlaneNG

Read the latest X-Plane news at

https://www.thresholdx.net

12 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

When you say photorealistic, do you mean from satellite/aerial imagery? If so, presumably you had to pay a significant licensing fee to use it commercially. If it were me, I would be basing my pricing structure on how much the licensing and man hours have cost me, not asking the community. 

Exactly that.. Well said.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

oh no! Didn't think of that! How much d'you think it would cost?

William Sandford

FSX:SE Player i5-7300HQ @ 2.5GHz, O/C 3.5GHz Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 1920x1080 AND IN NEED OF AN UPDATE!

Depends on who you are using for the satellite images but I would not be surprised if its 4-5 figure numbers in dollars. Ortho does not come cheap for commercial use and 4000 sq/km is a fair chunk of imagery. 

Jason E Row

Your last post was removed!  Don't do that!   So...you been working on this project for a while?  Where have you been getting the images you are using?

Charlie Aron

CPU-AMD 2GHZ  2GB RAM  NVidia Graphics FSX with SP1 and SP2  running Win XP

Sorry. Images sourced from Virtual Earth (bing)

William Sandford

William, I suggest you read Bing's and Microsoft's TOS  before you go too far with this. In the past Microsoft has been very protective of their property. If they do license 3rd parties, I will bet the price would be extreme. 

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$ Bronze Donor

EAA 1317610   

You can't just take publicly available satellite imagery from Google or Microsoft and then use it in a product to make money without their permission.

There are already a lot of photoreal sceneries in the AVSIM library which are freeware, so why should your scenery be payware?

Dave

Technically, you cannot even distribute them for free if you read the EULAS for most providers. You can download them for your own use but if you modify and distribute then you are breaking their rules. 

They tend to turn a blind eye to home users but if too many people start distributing even as freeware, they may well start clamping down hard on us. And that would be sad.

Jason E Row

Indeed Dave - I think most of us agree to the first point regarding licencing - you don't want to mess commercially with those two giants.

On the second point - it's up to the creator if they wish to make payware and ultimately the user base who choose to walk with their wallets: For example I have shelled out to Just Flight for their first two volumes of their latest UK photoreal scenery - VFR Real 3D. It's worth it to me as I've lived in England all my life. 

Mark Robinson

"What's it doing now?"

Greenbrier Aero Club former member

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

OK guys, thanks. I will take a look. @dave2013 the reason I think I could sell it is because it is over 4000 square kilometres of 1m/px photos. And it includes an improved innsbruck airport.

William Sandford

Got 50% of the world for free using Ortho4XP. 

Intel i7 9700k - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 2080 Ti - Gigabyte Aorus Z390 ULTRA - 32Gb RAM DDR4 3200 - 2tb SSD - 10Tb HDD - Samsung NU7409 43" 4K-UHD TV
Oculus Rift S (Native VR) + TrackIR
Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (w. MONSTERTECH Mounts) + MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
X-Plane 11 / Prepar3D V4 / DCS

Posted (edited)

"Thou shalt not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, sublicense, transfer, assign, rent, sell or otherwise convey any information, software, products or services obtained from Bing Maps and MapPoint Web Service without the prior written consent from Microsoft."

-Microsoft, April 2011

Edited by WilliamS
  • Like 1

William Sandford

On 6/9/2019 at 5:20 AM, WilliamS said:

oh no! Didn't think of that! How much d'you think it would cost?

Somehow I get the feeling you're not quite ready to take this on...............Doug

Intel 4790K CPU, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, and other good stuff.