Sign in to follow this  
WilliamS

How much would people pay?

Hi,

I am working on a photorealistic scenery package of 4000 sq km around Innsbruck. A lot of work has gone in to it, so I was thinking of selling it as payware. How much would people pay for such a product?

Cheers,

Will

When you say photorealistic, do you mean from satellite/aerial imagery? If so, presumably you had to pay a significant licensing fee to use it commercially. If it were me, I would be basing my pricing structure on how much the licensing and man hours have cost me, not asking the community. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

12 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

When you say photorealistic, do you mean from satellite/aerial imagery? If so, presumably you had to pay a significant licensing fee to use it commercially. If it were me, I would be basing my pricing structure on how much the licensing and man hours have cost me, not asking the community. 

Exactly that.. Well said.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

oh no! Didn't think of that! How much d'you think it would cost?

Depends on who you are using for the satellite images but I would not be surprised if its 4-5 figure numbers in dollars. Ortho does not come cheap for commercial use and 4000 sq/km is a fair chunk of imagery. 

Jason E Row

Your last post was removed!  Don't do that!   So...you been working on this project for a while?  Where have you been getting the images you are using?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Sorry. Images sourced from Virtual Earth (bing)

William, I suggest you read Bing's and Microsoft's TOS  before you go too far with this. In the past Microsoft has been very protective of their property. If they do license 3rd parties, I will bet the price would be extreme. 

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

You can't just take publicly available satellite imagery from Google or Microsoft and then use it in a product to make money without their permission.

There are already a lot of photoreal sceneries in the AVSIM library which are freeware, so why should your scenery be payware?

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Technically, you cannot even distribute them for free if you read the EULAS for most providers. You can download them for your own use but if you modify and distribute then you are breaking their rules. 

They tend to turn a blind eye to home users but if too many people start distributing even as freeware, they may well start clamping down hard on us. And that would be sad.

Jason E Row

Indeed Dave - I think most of us agree to the first point regarding licencing - you don't want to mess commercially with those two giants.

On the second point - it's up to the creator if they wish to make payware and ultimately the user base who choose to walk with their wallets: For example I have shelled out to Just Flight for their first two volumes of their latest UK photoreal scenery - VFR Real 3D. It's worth it to me as I've lived in England all my life. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

OK guys, thanks. I will take a look. @dave2013 the reason I think I could sell it is because it is over 4000 square kilometres of 1m/px photos. And it includes an improved innsbruck airport.

Got 50% of the world for free using Ortho4XP. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

"Thou shalt not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, sublicense, transfer, assign, rent, sell or otherwise convey any information, software, products or services obtained from Bing Maps and MapPoint Web Service without the prior written consent from Microsoft."

-Microsoft, April 2011

Edited by WilliamS
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 5:20 AM, WilliamS said:

oh no! Didn't think of that! How much d'you think it would cost?

Somehow I get the feeling you're not quite ready to take this on...............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.