rtodepart

what do you think may be the minimum req for the new sim ?

just by what we can see on this video thats floating around .  what is your opinion on the hardware we may need to run this new sim ???? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well seeing how it is all going to be streamed from the cloud, I’d say you could run it with a Raspberry Pi...with the right internet speed 😉

• Like 1

Probably something spec’d similarly to that next gen XBox.

That’s my only guess at this time.

This is being introduced as a showcase for MS tech alongside the new Scarlett project Xbox at the end of 2020. So just look at that new Xbox specs, and if you can reproduce it on a PC you should be fine. 😉

120 fps at 4k resolution and ray tracing? That's beastly hardware.

My current flight sim rig (see specs below in the sig) couldn't run that monitor resolution at that frame rate with X=Plane. I'm lucky if I get 35-45 fps with enough world eye candy on this 1280p monitor, but then my video card needs upgrading. 

The bottom line, I think... MS is building this new flight sim to show off the new "Scalett" project Xbox, and most of us will need better PC hardware unless you already have a top of the line system. And maybe MUCH faster Internet connections if that scenery is actually built on the fly with streaming.

This whole scenario has totally put on hold all my PC hardware plans until I know more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rtodepart said:

just by what we can see on this video thats floating around .  what is your opinion on the hardware we may need to run this new sim ???? 

Way too early to pose this question.  Truth is, nobody has a clue...

• Like 1

If a new engine is being used to develop the new sim, then we should forget about whatever limitations we currently have with the dated ESP engine. It's a totally new game (pun intended).

That means current decent hardware (for instance my 7700k, 1080ti) could run the new sim at reasonable medium to medium-high settings, though if new technologies such as raytracing are introduced and we want to use them, it would take at least a 2070 RTX card or the next AMD cards to have a beautiful looking experience.

This is all just pure speculation on my part, by the way. And despite everything I just wrote, I'm already starting to plan how the hell I'm going to get the money to upgrade my PC to be able to run the new sim at max settings 🤷🏽‍♂️

9 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Way too early to pose this question.  Truth is, nobody has a clue...

No, we're not that much in the dark. Look at what MS introduced for the next "Scarlett" Xbox in 2020 at the E3 presentation just now. The new MSFS and the next Halo game are the showcase products to run on that hardware. 

If you have that kind of hardware in a PC, you can probably run it. And that's probably a stronger system than most of us are running right now. Which is fine, as far as I'm concerned. 'Twas ever thus with flight sims, for as long as I've been flying them, starting with wireframe graphics.

• Upvote 1

All these replies are actually total thumb sucks, & the question is also irrelevant, as it should be obvious that, as no information as been released, nobody knows.

• Like 3

Doesn't take much working out, it's being developed primarily for the XBox! And I don't know of any XBox more powerful than a desktop....😜

Today`s PC, Microsoft know more about PC`s than anyone, and it`s likely they will want a broad spectrum of PC specs on the insider program, the new XBOX is reported to be 4 times more powerful than XBOX ONE todays PC is more powerful than the old XBOX ONE, a game console takes two years at least in planning and production by the time it`s released PC tech has moved on, this is probably why more than 50% of gamers still use desktop PCs, and all the big boys are bringing there own streaming service out.  

• Like 1

Well, if it actually is streamed - the hardware would be pretty much what you need to see a streamed 4K movie, wouldn´t it?

As in you could play this game on your smart TV.

Jan

Considering how well Aerofly 2 runs on a modern engine, I think the minimum requirements will be a lot lower than people expect. Though I do suspect a DirectX 12 generation GPU is required.

• Like 2

If they are claiming 120fps @ 8K resolution, then there is a lot of headroom for acceptable performance. Frankly, a smooth 30fps @ 1080p resolution in even the most detailed areas would be a massive step up from what I am experiencing now in P3D v4 on my current i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GeForce GTX 770 powered system.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

I dont think anyone is claiming anything at all, never mind 4K or 8K, 

Hands up anyone who is using either a 4k or 8k graphics card & matching monitor!

Microsoft are not going to want to go to all the effort of developing something like this, which one assumes is also going to end up creating a base platform that can also be used for other endeavours such as Google Earth-style apps and programs, as well as probably other sims too, such as ship sim, train sim, truck sim etc, and then only have it capable of running at a half decent speed on the latest super-duper computer that maybe ten flight sim nerds have been forced into building because they had to in order to get FSX to run at 12 FPS with the sliders on the right when they had all their payware add-ons running.

They will want it to run really well on a fairly decent gaming computer and acceptably well even on Joe Average's mum's PC, because if it doesn't then nobody will buy it, and if it should turn out to be subscription based, then nobody will subscribe to it if it runs badly without you having spent three grand on a computer when you can get a console for 200 quid which will run all the latest games.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think statements that the sim will be streamed are unfounded.  The bandwidth of the majority of the U.S. isn't reliable enough to support that.  Also consider that net neutrality is quite dead and ISPs can throttle your stream to a trickle because in their opinion you're abusing their systems, etc, yada.  

Azure AI was used to develop the scenery, according to all statements from Microsoft.  Not one single statement indicates you must be connected to Azure to use the sim.  That's 100% supposition of the uninformed.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, WarpD said:

I think statements that the sim will be streamed are unfounded.  The bandwidth of the majority of the U.S. isn't reliable enough to support that.  Also consider that net neutrality is quite dead and ISPs can throttle your stream to a trickle because in their opinion you're abusing their systems, etc, yada.  

Azure AI was used to develop the scenery, according to all statements from Microsoft.  Not one single statement indicates you must be connected to Azure to use the sim.  That's 100% supposition of the uninformed.

In addition not every country provide high internet speeds to support that.

And if you are located very far away from the streaming servers it would be inevitable to suffer from heavy stutters due to TCP / IP delays. 

S.

Edited by simbol

What is the alternative? Base photoscenery installed on your local hard disk at rubbish resolution (when compared to the trailer)? If this is supposed to be a global simulator, even "rubbish" resolution would take up a colossal amount of hard disk space

• Upvote 1

They would certainly have to up the range of the streaming and optimize speed of delivery. I'm on a 500Mbit Fiber, with a very low latency and in relative close proximity to both Microsoft and Google data centers. Using either Windows Maps with Photogrammetry or Google Earth with the same, especially the flight simulation portion, its downright a mess. It clearly can't keep up even at slow 'flying speeds', to load in the terrain or photogrammetry.

Current approach is just loading your sim with big texture files and that's it. Not only will they be filling a lot of gaps with an interpolated interpretation of bad satellite data, which would mean much smaller files, maybe even re-using files if you can find similar gaps to fill, we also live in a digital storage age and compression techniques have come far. We don't know how the data sits on the local drive, could be very heavily compressed and then uncompressed when needed, could have improved techniques in terms of size versus looks. Well, just assuming here.

Really can't wait to see what they do.

37 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

a global simulator, even "rubbish" resolution would take up a colossal amount of hard disk space

Uh... FSX is a global simulator and doesn't utilize a "colossal amount" of storage.  Same for Prepar3D, X-Plane.  It is possible to obtain photoscenery level of detail without using actual photoscenery.  I'm honestly stunned that anyone believes it not possible.

FSX is a global simulator and doesn't utilize a "colossal amount" of storage

I was under the impression that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator was going to be using Bing photoscenery as the base terrain files?