Sign in to follow this  
nas123

My next flight will be in MSFS2020

1 hour ago, DaWu said:

FYI I am a senior dev for 20 years. So I know what is needed to do a patch. Netherless looking at the changes between P3D V3 and V4 and then asking for full price is a rip off. Thats my opinion and I stay with it

From the Prepar3D website:

On May 30, 2017, Prepar3D v4 was released. Prepar3D v4 completely changed the simulation landscape with a comprehensive baseline update to a 64-bit architecture. Higher resolution visuals, more objects, increased data precision, larger scenarios, and improved performance were made possible at levels never seen before in the product’s history. Additionally, the release included a new dynamic lighting system, rain/snow particles, global 3D trees and vegetation, a fully reworked software development kit (SDK), new default vehicles, and countless core improvements.

Uh huh.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

48 minutes ago, LHookins said:

From the Prepar3D website:

Uh huh.

Hook

Yeah yeah and if u load up the sim its practically FSX with no CTDs

• Upvote 2

Lukas Dalton

FSX with no OOMs, much better performance, better lighting, more autogen, better textures, an avatar mode, improvements to the flight model, cockpit shadows, cloud shadows, longer view distances, and these are just the things you first notice.

The first thing I saw going from P3Dv2.5 to P3Dv4 was that at 2500 feet the autogen went all the way to the horizon, and the horizon was farther away.  From FSX to P3Dv2.5 it was mostly cockpit and cloud shadows.

Not everything has been improved, and it's recognizable as having FSX DNA but it is definitely a major improvement, as you'd know if you'd ever flown FSX or even older versions of P3D.

I'm looking for similar improvements with the new flight sim.

Hook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

39 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The ignore list is a wonderful thing 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:45 AM, nas123 said:

The problem with the flighsim from Microsoft is that I have lost all interest in simming in P3D. It just looks outdated and boring, even before MSFS2020 is released.

The first new flight I will be firing up is going to be in MSFS2020.

Is it just me?

Maybe. But...I have put a moratorium on any further P3D related purchases. If this lives up to the hype I'll be disengaging completely from P3D of course.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

23 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I have put a moratorium on any further P3D related purchases.

The A2A Piper J3 Cub for P3Dv4 has gone into beta testing. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

58 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Maybe. But...I have put a moratorium on any further P3D related purchases. If this lives up to the hype I'll be disengaging completely from P3D of course.

I’m probably going to grab the NG3 for use as a training and familiarization aid, but other than that I’m in a wait and see mode too. It’d have to be a pretty compelling buy, not just a “this is cool to have”. I’m already working into the budget to replace these aircraft again for the new platform just in case this is as large a leap as it could be. But in that analysis I’m anticipating a late 2020 (Christmas shopping season) release, and even then running both for a transition period while the external devs catch up on the new platform and work on a port. I honestly don’t expect (except for those who are possibly already in the fold and have some in-progress work) any third party extensions until mid to late 2021. I’m not going to ignore my P3D and X-Plane installs until then, just because. 

• Like 1

I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I don't understand folks wanting to trash their P3DV4 so readily over a new sim not even released, price and quality unknown because of a brief trailer that could easley have been doctored. Some reasons are because ESP is dated tech. So is the wheel and fire. I've heard there are operators today who say the only replacement for a DC3 is another DC3. OK, poor comparison maybe.

I didn't get into this hobby until 2007 and FSX was my first sim. Performance was horrible and addons available were mostly underwhelming. After spending thousands of dollars on new hardware and watching ten years of evolution to P3DV4.5 I have a wonderful table top sim. Beautiful weather and terrain graphics, dozens of true to life airports and several in depth aircraft that can keep me busy the rest of my life. Add to that performance is smooth as a motion picture.  

I understand the desire to move on to more advanced technology but does anyone think all of the above is going to come right out of the box with MS2020 and if so at what price?  I fear some of my good sim friends may be setting up for disappointment. All we can do is wait and see.      

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

Well said Vic. I’m reminded of the old adage “if something appears too good to be true it usually is”.

I’m another P3D v4 user who is perfectly happy with that simulator.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but I don't understand folks wanting to trash their P3DV4 so readily over a new sim not even released, price and quality unknown because of a brief trailer 

What's the point of saying that? I am happy for you to have "dozens of true to life airports etc..." But maybe not everyone have thousands of dollars to spend on their simulator to bring it at the level of realism you describe, and they just hope to get a descent sim out of the box. Is this so difficult to understand?

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

After spending thousands of dollars on new hardware and watching ten years of evolution to P3DV4.5 I have a wonderful table top sim. Beautiful weather and terrain graphics, dozens of true to life airports and several in depth aircraft that can keep me busy the rest of my life. Add to that performance is smooth as a motion picture.  

For me this is the rub. There’s the good — and on this we agree — after more than a decade I’ve finally collected the majority of airports that interest me, I have a variety of high-fidelity planes to fly, and my sim is relatively stable. No OOMs. That’s genuinely great!

But I can’t agree performance all around is smooth or acceptable, even with powerful hardware. The graphics are also...not great. It occurred to me the other day that at its prettiest (and it can indeed be quite pretty) some of P3D’s atmospheric sunsets and vistas make me think of Red Dead Redemption, conspicuously beautiful for its time. Its time was 2010, nearly a decade ago. It’s past time our sim caught up a bit. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of us (myself very much included) have gotten used to mediocrity and convinced ourselves that better things aren’t possible. I’d like to believe that they are.

James

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Noooch said:

What's the point of saying that? I am happy for you to have "dozens of true to life airports etc..." But maybe not everyone have thousands of dollars to spend on their simulator to bring it at the level of realism you describe, and they just hope to get a descent sim out of the box. Is this so difficult to understand?

No, not hard at all to understand. What is is why give up the sim you now have waiting on something not even released yet and full of unknown variables especially if someone has already invested a lot of money in their present sim. It must be because simming holds a different level of prioritie in their life which is fine.

• Like 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, honanhal said:

For me this is the rub. There’s the good — and on this we agree — after more than a decade I’ve finally collected the majority of airports that interest me, I have a variety of high-fidelity planes to fly, and my sim is relatively stable. No OOMs. That’s genuinely great!

But I can’t agree performance all around is smooth or acceptable, even with powerful hardware. The graphics are also...not great. It occurred to me the other day that at its prettiest (and it can indeed be quite pretty) some of P3D’s atmospheric sunsets and vistas make me think of Red Dead Redemption, conspicuously beautiful for its time. Its time was 2010, nearly a decade ago. It’s past time our sim caught up a bit. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of us (myself very much included) have gotten used to mediocrity and convinced ourselves that better things aren’t possible. I’d like to believe that they are.

I believe they are too. However, we're all looking for different things. I would love to be able to move everything I like about X-Plane into the scenery engine shown in the MFS trailer, because while the XP11 scenery engine looks good, it doesn't look like that!

But then, here come the qualifiers:

I would love to move what I'm flying now into the new MFS *if* it covers enough of the parts of the world I like to fly in. And *if*I can fly the types of planes I enjoy flying, especially vintage radial engines, bush planes, and helicopters. And *if* there is a better weather engine than what I have now (that thunderhead image is impressive, but is it dynamic or a Photoshop image?). And *if* it can work in FSEconomy because I use that for a mission generator. And *if* it can import flight plans from LittleNavMap which I'm used to as a flight planner. And *if* it can store controller assignments on a per-aircraft basis like I'm used to.

And then most importantly, *if* the flight model is at least as good as what I'm flying now, if not better. Because that's really the litmus test for me. I don't care how pretty the scenery is, and how pretty ray-traced reflections on the planes are, if the flight model isn't as good as what I'm flying now.

We'll all have our own lists. I didn't even cover things like ATC, AI aircraft, and SID/STAR procedures that are important to tubeliner sim pilots. It will never cover all of that stuff on day one, but if it eventually covers enough of that list plus the flight model requirement, then I might gradually migrate. Meanwhile I'll check it out and fly it for fun, even if it doesn't meet those requirements right away. How can any flight sim enthusiast not check out a new version of Microsoft Flight Simulator? Just don't get your hopes out of proportion to what is likely to be in the first release. 

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It's not about the quality of the new simulator or what I have in my old one.  If I were told I was starting Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (the very definition of "as real as it gets") at the end of 2020 under full scholarship I wouldn't stop flight simming for the next year and a half while I was waiting.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

The only stuff that can "kill" flight simming for me is when I start flying for real more often...

Nowadays there are all sorts of technology too that we can use while doing leisure flight IRL, so, there's so much to explore / learn that the time and mood for flightsimming vanishes...

But the News regarding the upcoming MS FLIGHT SIMULATOR tittle are of course Great News! I look fwd for the upcoming additional info from the MS Team behind that Project. I am really interested in learning if areas like the one I usually fly IRL will have the chance to get detailed scenery - they should because Portugal is BEAUTIFUL! :-)

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...