@Mods Ok to sticky this one?

@Community if you aren't a dev, freeware or commercial, please keep out ūüôā .

I'll head the list with:
Render target access to 3D model textures for everything from dynamic texture effects, glass cockpit displays, and digital signs.

IR and radar camera simulation (@MSFS Team: any questions on pulling this off, feel free to PM me to get my email and I can give some technical suggestions)

Far more freedom to overwrite, or even replace sim variables (especially 6DOF velocities and accelerations and engine parameters) without the sim fighting back.

Access to terrain and vector data for glass cockpit map displays, custom TAWS/EGPWS systems.

Access to eyepoint positions for collimated HUDs, 3D sound, etc.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I want better testing of the SDK functionality, finding bugs with internal functions while you are already well into production / development is very disappointing, causing severe unexpected delays towards the entire project.

Proper documentation with reliable examples would be also very welcomed.

All the best,

Simbol 

• Like 6

Greaser, are you a commercial or freeware developer? 

Read/write access to the sim's internal friction tables, so that more advanced runway surface friction effects can be implemented and changed programmatically (e.g. contaminated, wet, icy runways, standing water, deep snow etc)

• Like 5

I would also be nice if the SDK could support other 3D developing tools besides 3Dsmax, for example Blender as it would allow many more freeware developers to contribute with the ecosystem.

Regards,

S.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 6

Please fellows, this topic is strictly for developers to list their wants and needs in the new MSFS.

We have a topic for "What we want" that covers others.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For asset creation, a way to reload mesh/textures without switch out of/back into aircraft or restarting the simulator would be super useful. Also a freemove camera to more easily inspect your work (though a photomode would be nice for general gameplay as well).

A built in system for doing variants/configuration of aircraft might also be nice to have. Best example I can think of is something like a helicopter. There's tons of accessories that some helicopters can have (camera, removable doors, wirecutters, low/high skids, and some of these can affect weight/aerodynamics). Currently devs have to build their own systems and user interfaces to integrate this functionality and let users configure the options. Aircraft having the ability to be "modular" in this regard out of the box could be a convenient thing to have, both for the end user and for developers (users can pick their options during aircraft selection, and devs have the ability to add attachments with weight and aero properties instead of copying files unnecessarily or coding custom functionality).

Edited by HughesMDflyer4
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

And that brings me to helicopters... Vortex ring state blah blah ALL of the stuff that choppers should have (but don't).

Turbines, turbojets, built in failures for those.

Ability to access the weather for WXR's.

Ability to view textures/materials in 3dsmax/maya/blender.

proper boning, vertex animations, no more dual exports, no more having to go through materials and make sure that they are less than whatever, no more issues with multimaps, no more issues with materials with the same name having to have one different parameter in order to be exported...  which segues nicely into... please, make the max toolset easier to use and more powerful.  (we have one that we wrote and you're welcome to take a look at it...)

Auto wing flex, damage modeling (broken turbines etc)

and finally, anything you can do about weapons?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Oh... a MUCH simpler exporting process would be nice.  (very)

• Like 3

Very thorough & complete SDK Documentation with Examples, tutorial & videos. The easier to learn the new SDK , the better.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Instant scenery type app to edit scenery in real time. 

• Like 1

@Mods thanks for the sticky and clearing out the distractions.

Posted (edited)

Oh and @MSFS Team, if you read the fsdeveloper forums, please mention them in some way in your next update. Preferably something to do with Norbert the trainee (do a search on him over there. I promise you will have some good laughs).

Edited by JB3DG
  • Like 1

Make it possible for Freeware developers to make 3D/2D cockpits independent of aircraft models so they can be used in multiple aircraft models.

Thank you for listening to our requests.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Non-rectangular autogen that can wrap around any polygon and autogen that allows buildings of any height (not just defined by grids).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No DLL.xml system pretty please with sugar on top ūüôā¬† That thing was a headache.

Make integrating with the sim as simple as possible.

• Upvote 1

Please identify yourself as a commercial or freeware developer in your posts. 

I don't want to remove a legitimate post. 

Thanks for your cooperation. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Milviz said:

...no more issues with materials with the same name having to have one different parameter in order to be exported...

Providing an option to "disable optimization" for such materials would accomplish this nicely.

Posted (edited)

Owner of Sim Horizon

Products in development for XP11 and P3D v4.4+ and hopefully MSFS 

1. Documentation in PDF format or some common modern format (not online only because on the road there are times where Internet access is not possible and I work 24/7) that supports highlighting, notes, bookmarks, edits, etc.
  2. Working code samples and working model samples (many, not just a few).
  3. Enhanced control of AI aircraft ... I take control, manipulate AI aircraft, then I can issue a "resume navigation" and the AI aircraft will intelligently resume without having to re-instantiate it.
  4. A much more robust and accessible "collision" system, airport vehicles need to stop running thru aircraft and each other.
  5. A more robust "damage" system that can be tied directly to attachments and/or other structures.
  6. Provide more modern tools with a UI for compiling/building content rather than command line (ongoing I currently code my own UWP app to manage paths and execute command line options to produce content as to improve workflow efficiency).
  7. Unify all the existing tools into one SDK environment preferably with ability to add extensions to Visual Studio so it's all in one shop.
  8. The repeated "round trips" required to see "change" is extremely time consuming, real time updates with the sim active would be ideal (perhaps a special "debug" mode if performance implications).
  9. Lockheed Martin have fixed a HUGE number of FSX bugs, work with them to identify and correct.
  10. Provide an easy method for us to protect our content, content theft is rampant and with such low sales numbers this has resulted in many content providers being put out of business.
  11. Provide more information in regards to the often mysterious flight physics files.
  12. Add more physics options for Helicopters and Turbo Props.
  13. Native ability to create slopped runways with vehicles (air and ground) that can work with the non-flat terrain.
  14. Several developers have resorted to "hacks" (ack finding DLL/EXE offsets) to gain access to elements of the software, find out what those are and make them a part of the SDK so that for each version update end users aren't left with non-functional products.
  15. Perhaps less expensive 3D Modeling options, although I'm now well trained on 3DSMax and starting to enjoy it's power, at $1500/yr it can be road block for the more casual developers ... perhaps add support for more 3D surface modeling tools like C4D, Blender3D, or Adobe's 3D tools, or even some of Microsoft's own 3D tools.
  16. Easier way to do transparency and materials for PBR so that what we see in the 3D Tools is what we get in the simulator.
  17. A mission system that is much more "cohesive" where "state" is easy to manage and continue at later sessions ... better continuity.
  18. Terrain and building and AFCAD conflicts happen rather regularly, that should be prevented, if that's impossible to prevent at distribution, then provide a detection and warning mechanism for the user.
  19. Provide support for BC6H/BC7 compression formats.
  20. Provide support for multiple GPUs that leverages the benefits of PC hardware and DX12, specifically DX12 EMA mode with SFR
  21. 64bit code base (just in case that wasn't in the plan). 

There are probably other items I've missed, but I think this is a good start for my personal desires/wants.  I'd like to thank AVSIM at being pro-active with developer considerations.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 8

Freeward/hobbyist here. I've worked with other game engines. I'm pasting this from the other "want" thead.

Make the SDK work with standard 3D export formats. Then we can use any 3D tool we please. Get rid of the old-school .X/MDL export plugin rubbish. Also, support PBR workflows in tools like Substance and Quixel.

ÔĽŅScript in a decent language like Python or C#. With proper¬†logging and a debugger please.¬†Support plugins written in C++, with modern API's that don't look like they were designed in 1986.

Get rid of all closed proprietary binary formats. Make config files use JSON or YAML. Please no more yucky XML.

Please consider a more flexible and extensible shader pipeline, including compute and geometry shaders.

• Like 3

Hello Microsoft,

Apart from the things that have already been mentioned, here's what I would like to see:

1. The same freedom when it comes to publishing and marketing our add-ons.

2. Access to the sound engine, so we don't have to come up with our own solutions. Including the option to loop a sound an adjust volume and pitch dynamically.

3. The ability to override engine and system variables - i.e. a more complete simConnect, with an extensive documentation.

• Like 2

- Smooth sdk production pipeline from 3dsmax

- Advanced FX including custom lights, particles

- Advanced animations to include rigged human characters with bones

- Conditional events/objects (with lots of variables)

- Method to avoid add-ons fighting each other (particularly the current enraging AFCAD issue with add-ons overwriting each other)

- a lot more but it's Friday and my brain has already checked out

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

- More options to provide realistic AI Traffic (Airplane (IFR/VFR), Heli, and Seaplane) -> enroute as well as on ground

- Better access to the AI-System of the Sim for external tools, overwriting some decisions from the Sim.

- Referring to the old FSX, beeing able to give back the controll of an AI object to the internal AI-System

- SDK for the ATC (Voice and Text) maybe the option to add more ATC Message-Types

Kai (Lead Developer of AIGTech)

Edited by Kaiii3
  • Like 4

-Realistic helicopter flight dynamics (we want to fly backwards for CAT A procedure without a 180¬į spin)

-Structured SDK with good sample files

-Engine declaration for multi turbine helicopters; N1, N2, engine type, transmission, powershaft values, gearbox, rotor RPM, TRQ, correlator/governor ect

-Attachment method for aircraft objects (wheight and balance)

-More options for animations (  flexible leather cover on a flight stick)

-Shared cockpit variables for all related systems

-New Sound engine and flexible sound emmersion

-Model files that are protected for decompiling

-Standard 3D file support max,obj,fbx,dae

-PBR options for specular or metalness workflow

Julian Commercial developer alias Rotorhead135 (Lead Artist Delta Hotel Simulations)

• Like 2

Freeware dev,

Personally, as a beginner a few years ago i felt it as a great help and high motivation already to could create complex panels with the relatively simple XML code for FSX!
I think that the future success of this simulator also depends on the offspring and should not be underestimated! So i think it would be a good idea to give the people also for this simulator a "language" which allows them to get started without much programming knowledge!

• Like 2