Sign in to follow this  
Edspace

Important decision - What short name should be used

We currently have -

FS9, FSX, FSXSE, FSW, MSFLIGHT, XP11, P3DVx.x, AeroFly and others

It looks to me as if MSFS2020 has become the chosen abbreviated name for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 right now. It's concise enough, tells you who made it, what the product is and when it was released etc but I'm thinking FS11 might be better, after all it is the next version. But would that suggest too much an upgraded version of FSX.

There is always a danger that MSFS2020 would get shortened to FS20 then where would we be? Remember the win95, win98 naming system - great thinking.

Ed

A danger of what ? "FS20" is perfectly OK with me. I may even use "20" from time to time, like in "is 20 gonna be better than v5 ?". Just to mystify outsiders. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It's called Microsoft Flight Simulator, i call it MFS. The old naming convention for previous Microsoft titles shoudn't apply since they were progressive and coming out every 2 years. This does not, and /might/ also have a technological advancement in the graphic engine which has less ties to the old ESP engine. Without even mentioning the fact that the studio developing it is also different.

So yes, MFS seems to be the most logical one to me.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

How about FSXX? 😁

• Like 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I would like to have your problems.

• Like 4

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

I think @Flamingpie is right:

1 - The official name is Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS)

2 - This is a sim which will last decades from now and will likely be upgraded in the future. So a simple name is the best in my opinion.

* Scenery will update over time adding more and more photogrammetry cities, with an intelligent autogen like we saw in the released content

* Weather can hardly look better than that

* Aerodynamics, well here we need to wait and see

Apart for a "mixed" simulator discussed in another topic (Train combined with Truck and Flight...) can you imagine a Flight Simulator after this? 🙂

Edited by Noooch

Not important they can call it what they like will not change anything.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

We should just have a poll vote honestly 😂

Or wait for the team to get lazy and put an abbreviation in a blog update. Then we will have the 'canon' name

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I'm personally calling it FS2020.  I admit it is not what Microsoft themselves are calling it as they are only using the name Microsoft Flight Simulator so far (MFS), however I do not feel that name is sufficient given the franchise history and all of the previous versions.  I like being more accurate than that, and when I use FS2020 there is no doubt at all which version I am referring to.

Thus, for me, so far, I'm calling it FS2020,  though I will likely gravitate towards MFS in time.

It can’t be called FS2020 until we have the real release date. Imagine that is released in 2022... MFS or new FS for me by now. 

But devs call it MSFS... so... 

• Like 1

Given that it's called "Microsoft Flight Simulator" with no year or version in the official title, it implies that it'll be a "buy it once and keep getting upgrades" type of deal, like Windows now is.

Is expecting perpetual updates realistic for a game though? Normally game development teams start on something else a few months after a title is released.

Makes me wonder if the deal will be $xx a month for a MSFS subscription, or a $50 one time purchase with a year of updates included.

As far as a short name, it seems like everyone will get used to MSFS eventually.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What’s in a name? That which some call MSFS
By any other name would smell as sweet

• Like 2

Lawrence Hamilton

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own3_378x68.png

I've been using what MS is actually calling it in the July 25 update: MSFS. They're not adding a date, so why should we? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor