Sign in to follow this  
767lover

to those who complain about stutters at this stage

Whenever the team posts new videos, there are those who complain about stutters. It tends to divert and pollute an interesting discussion about the video content to something utterly boring and annoying. The sim is in such an early state that these performance issues I am sure will be addressed. If you cannot resist talking about, maybe write a letter to the team or start a separate topic on it, but please do not bring it up every time.....thanks a lot!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 7

The best thing is that they complain about this while they have been using another simulator, over a decade old, built from the same company as this new flight simulator, and even defending this previous simulator with the usual "i have 25 fps but it's smooth". Something that anyone who is remotely interested in any videogame knows would be an unacceptable performance at any point.

disclaimer: of course not everyone is like this.

Edited by france89

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 hours ago, 767lover said:

Whenever the team posts new videos, there are those who complain about stutters. It tends to divert and pollute an interesting discussion about the video content to something utterly boring and annoying. The sim is in such an early state that these performance issues I am sure will be addressed. If you cannot resist talking about, maybe write a letter to the team or start a separate topic on it, but please do not bring it up every time.....thanks a lot!

I will make notice of stutters every time I see them in preview videos, because it is a very important issue to me. If you find the discussion boring or annoying, please do not read it. Thanks a lot!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Thumbs up for these comments Rob.

Would also appreciate to have more knowledgeable people test Flight Simulators.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre

All good points, but don't you think that MS themselves notice the stutters? They must know that a smooth flying experience is our nr 1 priority. Therefore, that one can get irritated at relatively minor glitch (that may not even be directly related to the sim itself but rather the performance of the PC on which the movie was generated or viewed) while the sim is obviously still in development I just do not fully understand.  

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! John, please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!

5 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

A flight simulator is not the same as a 3D shooter (video game), never has been, never will be, so I honestly don't understand the need to compare flight simulators with 3D shooters ... they are completely different paradigms so why even try to compare them?  Is the performance unacceptable because you're unwilling to dial back graphics settings and configure add-ons?

That's what you think, which isn't necessary the truth. They are all entertainment products and the human eye does see differences between something running at 25 fps or at 60fps (assuming both are running at constant fps). And since you'll probably say again that games and super serious flight simulators are not the same, go try DCS at 30 fps or 60 fps. Go do the same with Aerofly FS2, Il2 Sturmovik or anything you want and can achieve 60 fps. Then tell me again it doesn't matter.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! John, please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

War Thunder guys & gals - WAR THUNDER!!! No stutters, great play, great graphics...

I hope FS 2020 is even better :-)

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

10 minutes ago, france89 said:

That's what you think, which isn't necessary the truth. They are all entertainment products and the human eye does see differences between something running at 25 fps or at 60fps. And since you'll probably say again that games and super serious flight simulators are not the same, go try DCS at 30 fps or 60 fps. Go do the same with Aerofly FS2, Il2 Sturmovik or anything you want and can achieve 60 fps. Then tell me again it doesn't matter.

Right?! All this talk about how different sims are from games and they can't be compared makes no sense. If the things are the way it should be, why would Laminar spend so much money/time to port X-Plane to Vulkan (and on their initial tests, they said people with CPU bound problems would take advantage when the Vulkan port was ready).

It isn't so hard to understand the current comercial sims are just not optimized enought for current systems. Too dependant on a few high clock cores. If you have the best CPU + the best GPU, you will see the GPU idling hard on heavy sceneries, while modern engines transfer some of the workload to the GPU, making it possible to balance the performance. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The stutter issue has been brought up on two occasions in two threads as far as I know. A whole lot of people complaining about other people complaining when you can count the amount of actual complaints on one hand. There would be much less fuss about this if people wouldn't constantly make a scene out of it.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

And one more thing if you please. You get tired of post about stutters and many of us get tired of hearing how x-pain and P3d are old flight sims while you say that MS2020 or 2025...which ever happens first will be a "new" simulator. I do not believe that MS has said that to this point at all. I for sure have no idea how they plan to do this magic thing everyone is hopeful of but, the fact that it seems to use aircraft designed for FSX and the weather program may actually be very much like some of the off the shelf things that are in use by the "old" simulators. I do expect that his MS2020 will be an improvement over the FSX and "Flight" releases, there is no reason to believe that this release is going to be new from the ground up. 

Edited by shivers9
  • Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Some of Dovetails videos for DLC and there main sims appeared very stuttery. I wouldn't presume this alpha is necesarily running on the latest hardware. In my experience with software development there is such a lot going on with many features being implemented at once that maintaining an equilibrium with performance is virtually impossible unless you are preparing for a release and have a period of stability.

I would cut Microsoft some slack here and wait until we get some hands on to see what the state is. Videos are really not the best reference, sure comment on them but as a true measure we'll need to see how the tech alpha runs on our PC's to have the best possibly view.

Again I've mentioned it before but Microsoft Flight had great performance, it's obvious to me some of that tech is now coming in Flight Simulator - anyone remember the spin in the in-game trailer? They clearly had a goal for performance then and I don't really see that changing now. 🤞

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

the fact that it seems to use aircraft designed for FSX and the weather program may actually be very much like some of the off the shelf things that are in use by the "old" simulators.

How can you tell? Specifically, apart from an aircraft type in the videos being the same as one which has appeared in FSX, what makes you think that what you've seen could actually have been designed for FSX? As to the weather program, do you mean the weather graphics or the app actually inserting the weather into the sim

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It's threads like this that make me wish MS had kept this all quiet until just before release.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

9 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

How can you tell? Specifically, apart from an aircraft type in the videos being the same as one which has appeared in FSX, what makes you think that what you've seen could actually have been designed for FSX? As to the weather program, do you mean the weather graphics or the app actually inserting the weather into the sim

Well like everyone else, I don't know. That is why I said that they both (weather and aircraft) "seem" to be like the ones used in the so called older sims. I have heard from both P3D as well as 3rd party Dev's for years now telling folks that to move into the simulator of the future will require that backwards compatibility will have to be broken. That is why at this point when all we have is some tiny dribs and drabs of information from MS then I wonder if these aircraft that we have seen are ported over to their updated code or if it has been all redone from the ground up which does not sound right considering that they seem to still be hiring companies like the one in France to do the coding. None of this has to be a bad thing. All that matters is that when done it is a step foward. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

6 minutes ago, DavidP said:

It's threads like this that make me wish MS had kept this all quiet until just before release.

I get your point but actually it is a great way for MS to actually get to know their customers. I am sure they have learned much more from these posts than we realize. There are a lot of people around that think that you can put 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb sack and that is good info if you are trying to make a product that is going to make a flight sim out of your sale-phone, xbox and 10,000 dollar computer all at the same time. Someone is going to be disappointed for sure.

Sam