Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

September 26th Update - Feature Discovery Series Preview: World

51 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

You can see the 'popping' at the very start of the San Fran clip.

No, it's 30 through 35 seconds... loop it over and over, stare at the screen, look at the ocean in the middle of the frame... you will clearly see it.

However, if that video is not real time, but sped up, then fading in/out could appear as popping I guess.  In any case some clouds disappear when others do not and I very much doubt the elapsed "sim time" of the sequence is enough for any clouds to be vanishing/appearing like that.

Edited by MatthewS
Added paragraph "however, if that video...."

Matthew S

11 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

It's important because things like this (ie popping in/out as opposed to fade-in/out) are not trivial fixes IMHO.  

If no one raises it now, in ALPHA, then good luck trying to convince MS to spend resources on it after release.

And yes, I am a developer of 25+ years, and yes I understand what Alpha is, etc etc.

Then you should know what to expect at this stage. Not to mention the devs are probably aware of the flaws in their own work. This is the exact reason we so rarely see pre-alpha footage of this nature from large studios - the general public just doesn't understand that it's not done yet.

If issues like this are happening in the alpha when it goes live to the Insiders, absolutely report them - completely different discussion. For now, sit back and enjoy. We deal with way bigger visual artifacts in current sims that are actually released.

Distance-based fading isn't groundbreaking new tech, and is more like busy work for experienced rendering engineers. I suspect something of that nature will be done during the optimization/QoL phase before release.

• Like 4

Brandon Filer

We aren't even in Alpha yet. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

The problem is that what we are being shown is not even "Alpha" yet. This is pre-Alpha and thus needs to be given a lot more latitude!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 minutes ago, pracines said:

So many here who simply do not know what feedback is;

Except that they are not asking for feedback yet. When the Feedback Pipeline goes online, feel free to report all pop-ins you find.

• Like 2

My wife was watching this over my shoulder a few minutes ago, and says, "You should have VR for this." Merry Christmas to me!

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Download the video, loop it at 0:30 until about 0:35... look closely you will see the popping, over the ocean.

Ok, thank you. I see what you were looking at. Obviously I don't know anything more than anyone else here...but I don't know. It doesn't have the same characteristics as type of popping that we saw in past versions. It almost looks like the video was time accelerated and the little cloud puffs are forming and dissipating very rapidly. That is purely speculation. Time will tell.

I'm really salivating over the rest of the video. Jaw dropping.

• Upvote 1

Chris

I find it very hard to believe that someone with 25 years as a software developer would be complaining about "pop-in" on a pre-alpha build...

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but pre-alpha builds are for feature set inclusions, *not* performance.

Let it go...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

"No, it's 30 through 35 seconds... loop it over and over, stare at the screen, look at the ocean in the middle of the frame... you will clearly see it.

However, if that video is not real time, but sped up, then fading in/out could appear as popping I guess.  In any case some clouds disappear when others do not and I very much doubt the elapsed "sim time" of the sequence is enough for any clouds to be vanishing/appearing like that.

Yes, I can definitely see it in the center... are you being critical at this stage, or just pointing out. The good thing is they're reading this forum, so I wouldn't be surprised if they see this and reply with "no popcorn and butter here" on the next update.

Edited by rjetster1
  • Like 2

If MS is reading this forum, can they clarify this teaser-drip? The roadmap indicates we will be seeing four core-feature teasers with this development update. Will MS be releasing them one-by-one over the next two weeks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

Download the video, loop it at 0:30 until about 0:35... look closely you will see the popping, over the ocean.

Sir, you are being ridiculous.  The sim is in pre-alpha and probably full of un-optimized code and debug routines, and you are complaining about a very minute amount of pop in?

Seriously, you just aren't being realistic with your expectations of perfection at this stage of development.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypercide said:

If MS is reading this forum, can they clarify this teaser-drip? The roadmap indicates we will be seeing four core-feature teasers with this development update. Will MS be releasing them one-by-one over the next two weeks?

Looks to me the first series "World" will be shown in 2 weeks.  I'd guess they will then preview the next Episode #2 "Weather" and release that one the same way a couple/few weeks later..etc, etc...

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 minute ago, Flic1 said:

Looks to me the first series "World" will be shown in 2 weeks.  I'd guess they will then preview the next Episode #2 "Weather" and release that one the same way a couple/few weeks later..etc, etc...

Yes, I am very curious about that as well.

3 hours ago, Greazer said:

That's what I have been saying. Show me the Airliner landing at JFK in 4k cockpit view. We keep seeing teaser fluff. Pre announcements of previews of future schedules. Cloudy dreamy screenies at FL350. Give me the real deal, cockpit landings, 5+ minutes.

I bet after they show the landing and cockpit shot they will ask why they didn't show the pilots face🤣 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rjetster1 said:

Yes, I am very curious about that as well.

Yes I read it that on October 10 we get Ep #1 - World and on October 18 an update which hopefully tells us when Ep #2 - Weather is  being released