Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

September 26th Update - Feature Discovery Series Preview: World

14 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Can you timestamp exactly where you are seeing this. Am I looking at the right video? I honestly don't know at what point in the video you are referring....not being a smart aleck, I;m trying to see things from your perspective. 

I’m wondering the same. I just watched the YouTube version 5 times. I’m guessing the first scene in daylight is San Fran but don’t see the cloud popping after watching it all 5 times. Was there another video?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

People are also asking for cockpit videos. Well Ep #4 is specifically titled "Cockpits," so I'd expect we'll see that then.

Though I must admit I also was expecting to see previews of all four of their topics today. Not just the "World" preview.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, ark said:

As a past RW pilot, I'm disappointed that to date there has been little in 'teaser' videos on what improvements we can expect inside the cockpit vs looking outside as a passenger.

Al

You did read the DR where it states when they'd be showing that info, right?

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

You can see the 'popping' at the very start of the San Fran clip. It's within the first second of that segment. 

That said, it doesn't look anything like popping to me. For one thing it appears universal across all cloud depiction and reflections only. Secondly it appears in the foreground where you wouldn't expect any popping, and the underlaying ground mesh/textures/autogen is perfectly constant, which wouldn't be the case if it were indeed 'popping.'

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd suggest that the recording was started just after a pause state and the clouds/reflections took half a second to render in........

• Like 2

WOW That Sunrise is just WOW. It just keeps getting better and better.

Popping, blurring whatever else you might find (I don't see any), remember this is an Alpha build
With that they have shown so far, I could play Alpha all day long..

I'm all in.

Edited by RamonB

seriously, how is this going to run on the typical home computer? it literally looks like a CGI movie production...

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

You did read the DR where it states when they'd be showing that info, right?

As I clearly stated, "to date". And no, I don't see any specific date associated with Ep#4, cockpits.

Al

Edited by ark

I don't understand why people feel so entitled. They don't have to show videos of everything, let alone whatever they've posted till now. Would you rather if they remained totally silent until release? They should, really.

As for the cloud popping, it is there but it's extremely subtle, so much that it's almost a non-issue. You have to look really hard for it. Again, these videos come from an alpha build.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, ark said:

As a past RW pilot, I'm disappointed that to date there has been little in 'teaser' videos on what improvements we can expect inside the cockpit vs looking outside as a passenger.

As someone who isn't a RW pilot, but in the past hired RW Cessna and helicopter pilots as a commercial aerial photographer, I sympathize. The scenery is impressive but it means nothing (to me anyway) if hands-on-stick doesn't feel right, look right, and we don't have sufficient systems modeling with engines, avionics, the whole ball of wax. But that's coming soon, I think.

'Ya have to admit this is a good start, yes? 🙂

6 minutes ago, Sticky said:

seriously, how is this going to run on the typical home computer? it literally looks like a CGI movie production...

Streamed online to your PC with a fast connection, and buffered on your hard drive for the areas you're about to fly into. Then erased after you fly out of that area. Just a wild guess, but that's what many of us are thinking about how this might work.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Ya have to admit this is a good start, yes? 🙂

Yes, it is a good start to the extent that it implies the level of improvements we have seen outside the cockpit are similar to what we will 'see' inside the cockpit in terms of systems and flight dynamics.

Al

Edited by ark

@MatthewS  why so critical at this point? It's not even in Alpha yet and all you can do is criticise. Maybe wait a bit and see what comes. Everything we've read or seen at this point is very early. Chill. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

56 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Can you timestamp exactly where you are seeing this. Am I looking at the right video? I honestly don't know at what point in the video you are referring....not being a smart aleck, I;m trying to see things from your perspective. 

Download the video, loop it at 0:30 until about 0:35... look closely you will see the popping, over the ocean.

Matthew S

New York was jaw dropping for me. Stunning video. Sky colors can vary widely from one day to the next, so hope we can use something like Envtex. I won't say RIP P3D, I will still use it to fly the ridiculous aircraft and airport archive I have, but simply can't wait to fly through those 2020 clouds...

• Like 2

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

3 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

@MatthewS  why so critical at this point? It's not even in Alpha yet and all you can do is criticise. Maybe wait a bit and see what comes. Everything we've read or seen at this point is very early. Chill. 

It's important because things like this (ie popping in/out as opposed to fade-in/out) are not trivial fixes IMHO.  

If no one raises it now, in ALPHA, then good luck trying to convince MS to spend resources on it after release.

And yes, I am a developer of 25+ years, and yes I understand what Alpha is, etc etc.

• Upvote 2

Matthew S

19 minutes ago, Coneman said:

New York was jaw dropping for me. Stunning video. Sky colors can vary widely from one day to the next, so hope we can use something like Envtex. I won't say RIP P3D, I will still use it to fly the ridiculous aircraft and airport archive I have, but simply can't wait to fly through those 2020 clouds...

Agreed.  If all that scenery is being generated algorithmically then the FS2020 world (where data is available) is going to be amazing to fly in.

If fact, I'm fantasizing about flying around SFO in a helicopter peeking in windows at 1970's swingers like some scene out of Dirty Harry. Oh sorry, wrong forum.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S