Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

September 26th Update - Feature Discovery Series Preview: World

One thing is definite, the Microsoft Marketing Machine is impressive. 😀

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ahh, I read the Development update wrong... this was a preview for the Discovery series of Episode 1 (World)

However it reads as if there are 4 previews today in the roadmap, world, weather, aerodynamics, cockpits.

Edited by rjetster1
  • Upvote 2

It's amusing that so many people are finding flaws in the alpha.

Let's say there are flaws.  This is 2019, so you know what that means?

It means we get patches, likely more than 1 patch.

This isn't like FSX where a "patch" is some gigantic release that happens after 5 years or so.

Almost every time I play and of my modern games on Steam they are patching this or that thing.

This is a GOOD thing, it means its a fluid environment and can constantly be made better.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

This is 2019, so you know what that means?

It means we get patches, likely more than 1 patch.

This isn't like FSX where a "patch" is some gigantic release that happens after 5 years or so.

Almost every time I play and of my modern games on Steam they are patching this or that thing.

This is a GOOD thing, it means its a fluid environment and can constantly be made better.

Exactly. It's like Windows 10. It's going to be around for a while and get updates and new features. That's how pretty much all games and software work these days. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Exactly. It's like Windows 10. It's going to be around for a while and get updates and new features. That's how pretty much all games and software work these days. 

Don't bother it obvious that folks looking for flaws in a PRE-ALPHA have their own agenda...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, adino said:

Don't bother it obvious that folks looking for flaws in a PRE-ALPHA have their own agenda...

True, but that is the case in almost everything... it is MS job to make them true believers!

37 minutes ago, adino said:

"Agenda"

1. Proper flight videos, not "arty" trailers or commercials.  More like "Just Planes", only in Flight Sim   -->  Canarsie Approach JFK would be ok   -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOafo2386yY

2. Longer videos.  Even too long, we skip to the good bits!

3. ATC / Traffic videos. (any integration?)

4. Seasons?

5. Snow buildup?

6. Water accumulation puddles?

7. Battling wind / rain effects in different types of conditions. 

8. Bush field takeoffs / landings, including the sloped runways.

9. More examples of procedural grass and types.  Landing in grassy fields.

10. Ground services, auto gates, vehicles, inside terminal views(?), moving people / staff ?

Edited by Greazer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

We aren't even in Alpha yet. 

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

The problem is that what we are being shown is not even "Alpha" yet. This is pre-Alpha and thus needs to be given a lot more latitude!

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Except that they are not asking for feedback yet. When the Feedback Pipeline goes online, feel free to report all pop-ins you find.

I understand this forum is not formally the Alpha test, but Microsoft has made it crystal clear they are and have been listening to our feedback. Microsoft has essentially said that they are back partly to correct missteps and to make this simulator with us , not alone, but together with us.

We are being shown bits and pieces of the sim, and maybe/possibly (if/since they are smart) Microsoft is looking for attentive and caring simmers who dig deep, and honestly report on what they think/see/hear about the sim as its presented in these releases. If we say nothing when we see something now, what good does that do now, when we know they are listening now.

Yes there may be time later to present the feedback and maybe it will be needed to be formally re-presented in an official Alpha forum. But why take the chance on having another disaster like the FSX beta was. Maybe our early reports have already been fixed, but there is no sense in leaving that to chance.

The gold release of this sim will seem to come fast and time for testing will run out fast. A flight sim that simulates the whole world really needs a few years of testing by simmers so we can cover it all....You all remember and know the blunders of FSX - even the hold short lines at LLBG PHKO & SBGL to name a few, could have been easily avoided if testers were given some time with a stable FSX beta.

If we would stop the attacks and the ridicule on people who report their personal findings here, and try to see that testing this sim is a gigantic task, that will require so many eyes all over this sim, maybe we can be ahead of the alpha test ( like, as pilots we need to be ahead of the aircraft and the flight situation ). 

All that said, yes the sim is looking marvelous for a pre-alpha. Happy times!😄

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I haven’t been able to watch more than about 7 seconds of the video yet, after trying 6 or 7 times. I do wish they’d use something a bit better than whatever they’re using now. 

I take it it’s good?

Had to let it fully download before it would run. took like 15 min. 

7 minutes ago, Greazer said:

"Agenda"

1. Proper flight videos, not "arty" trailers or commercials.  More like "Just Planes", only in Flight Sim   -->  Canarsie Approach JFK would be ok   -->  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOafo2386yY

2. Longer videos.  Even too long, we skip to the good bits!

3. ATC / Traffic videos. (any integration?)

4. Seasons?

5. Snow buildup?

6. Water accumulation puddles?

7. Battling wind / rain effects in different types of conditions. 

8. Bush field takeoffs / landings, including the sloped runways.

9. More examples of procedural grass and types.  Landing in grassy fields.

10. Ground services, auto gates, vehicles, inside terminal views(?), moving people / staff ?

Let's review what pre-alpha means. The current state of the game is unfinished. Like, really unfinished. Key features are missing or incomplete, and the game isn't in a playable state. The features you're asking to see are likely impossible to show off without really wonky stuff happening. It's just too soon. If they could show all of that, the game would be out already.

4 minutes ago, pracines said:

Microsoft is looking for attentive and caring simmers who dig deep, and honestly report on what they think/see/hear about the sim as its presented in these releases.

Except the problems a select few are reporting have nothing to do with execution of the sim, they are related to the current stage of development. It would be like having the fire department come to your house to put a fire out, and as they're actively putting out the fire, yelling "my house is still on fire!"

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Brandon Filer

22 minutes ago, Greazer said:

"Agenda"

I was an approach controller at N90, I'm also a commercial pilot.  And a software engineer. 

(seriously too many hats ... exhausting life I've had)

You want the Canarsie approach in demo videos for new flight simulator?   Seriously?

Edited by Gulfstream
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MatthewS said:

It's important because things like this (ie popping in/out as opposed to fade-in/out) are not trivial fixes IMHO.  

If no one raises it now, in ALPHA, then good luck trying to convince MS to spend resources on it after release.

And yes, I am a developer of 25+ years, and yes I understand what Alpha is, etc etc.

I only have 12 years in my company so I guess I can’t compete with your 25.. but anyway;

Where I work the developers are very aware of all the problems that the software has. (Usually issues that have much bigger impact on overall performance then what John Doe on a forum can criticize). It all boils down to priorities. “What can we fix by xx days”. You make it sound like you are the only one that notices a small glitch. I can promise you that they have a long list of thing that they are working their word not allowed’ off trying to iron out before release. 

What have you been doing for 25 years?

• Like 6

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

7 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Your kidding right?  

Maybe it is hiding issues.  Its still outstanding and impressive. You have never seen footage like that in a sim.

And while your at it, perhaps do some homework on what an ALPHA development stage means.  

If that is Alpha,  Imagine what final release will be like. 

lol HighTowers you should of known that a comment like that was coming lol 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Also, being a native Utahn, I love seeing Lake Powell on that video as well. Absolutely stunning.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 32 GB DDR4 | Geforce RTX 3080 | Samsung Evo 970 M.2 | Dual 1440p screen | Win 10 Pro

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Thrust master TPR Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2