Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

September 26th Update - Feature Discovery Series Preview: World

Just now, Paraffin said:

It's not distance lag from their servers. I live 45 miles from Redmond WA as the crow flies, and I still get awful delay and stutter in the live MP4 feed from the Insider page. I had to download it to view it smoothly. I don't have that problem with YouTube videos, which buffer and start playing almost immediately.

Are you on a fast or slow connection? I'm on a lowly 10 Mbps connection (which I may or may not upgrade soon), so I suspect their MP4 player just isn't optimized for slow connections. 

That was mostlty a tongue-in-cheek remark. It seems that they are going to put on the market a product that will use the Internet to stream wonderful imagery but their teasers are painstakingly crawling to my end ! Not reassuring (again tongue-in-cheek).

I've a 4.5  Mbps (nominal...)  connection and get, most the time, youtube smoothly.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

56 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

It's not distance lag from their servers. I live 45 miles from Redmond WA as the crow flies, and I still get awful delay and stutter in the live MP4 feed from the Insider page. I had to download it to view it smoothly. I don't have that problem with YouTube videos, which buffer and start playing almost immediately.

Are you on a fast or slow connection? I'm on a lowly 10 Mbps connection (which I may or may not upgrade soon), so I suspect their MP4 player just isn't optimized for slow connections. 

dont worry! I have a 1000 Mbps line, and it also stutters.

The latest from XBOX sign up for the XCLOUD insider program no console needed just a xbox wifi controller and an android smart phone or tablet, starts next month.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If delivered as shown in these teaser videos, it will be the most advanced world engine in a entertainment home/PC flight simulator/game on the market today... period.

Forget about the details we are obsessed with but let's focus on the big (realistic and corporate) picture. I believe with these teaser videos, the MS (FS) Marketing departement are doing a normal and simple thing: positioning their upcoming product and underlining its strength... 

And by doing so, they are sending a message to us and to their (main) competition (LR XP11/12) that simply says: We are able to develop (or aquire) the most advanced world engine for a home PC flight sim. And it will make any other world engine in any other available flight sim for PC, obsolete and outdated.

And I am still curious to know what Engine they are using. Is it is developed inhouse or aquired... Because I keep seeing Unigine similarity in every video they post.

So as far as Marketing goes, I think they are doing the right thing and they are giving evidence of this positioning strategy.

Now had they decided to do the opposite, stating through videos of cockpits, systems etc that they will have the most advanced flight simulation of any known flying object, it would be a very risky positioning and promises. As we know, simply because the competition is too good at it...

How many logical stakeholders or product managers at MS or any other tech company would want to spend money to enter or go back into this niche market for the sake of competing with the fancy and continous sophistication of the Blade Element Theory that LR XP is based on?

Yet MS have the money and they can afford to create or license such a "hyper realistic world"... Something that LR can't do..

So people complaining about Clouds popping or not popping and therefore autogen will be poping or the fact that videos are not showing the flying activity / cockpit / systems etc is irrelevant in the context of this marketing goal/task...

And therefore asking the question if it will be a flying game or a tech sim is equally irrelevant.

So I think it should be clear to us, since the first teaser video at E3 19, that the Marketing team of MS is showing us what they are able to deliver and compete with in a flying software made in 2020: A super realistic world engine that no one else have or can afford in the near future...

But whow knows, maybe they have a rabbit or two still hidden in the Marketing hat and we might get some surprising news in the near future about MSFS 2020 having also some fancy flight dyanmic technology...

Cheers

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 5

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Offering constructive feedback is more than fine, over-the-top negativity and demands for longer and very specific videos is disrespectful towards the developers and this is why he was targeted.

To be clear:

He said he was not impressed and underwhelmed, he expressed why and he expressed when he would be impressed. The tone was respectful in the sense it was honest feedback and he gave provable facts and practical suggestions. Nothing over-the top, no demands, and no lies, or I would have remained silent. Slowly re-read what Matthew typed.

But, if its ok to be targeted by a mob here because of feedback, then Matt myself and a few others could form a mob of our own and attack/slander a whole host of people here for a whole host of reasons, is that ok? May it never be!  You should never justify mob attacks here for any reason, because its totally wrong, cowardly, and flight simmers need to stick together.

I hope respectful disagreements/dialog will be the way going forward - the Alpha will be here soon and I think we all have a common goal of a huge success for MSFS. :smile:

Mob mentality should count itself on notice.🧐🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

I’m also starting to think seasons won’t make version 1.0,

Microsoft should understand the word not allowed storm that will unfold if that is the case.

i don’t think this will be the case at all

Edited by ErichB
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

do have one concern. Some users have made comparisons showing that the terrain in the FS2020 screenshots compares very closely to current Bing satellite and aerial imagery for the locations where the screenshots were taken.

Where would you rather fly, in landclass scenery that bares only a slight resemblance to your home town, or 4 year old, high resolution aerial imagery with accurate autogen?. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, pracines said:

To be clear:

He said he was not impressed and underwhelmed, he expressed why and he expressed when he would be impressed. The tone was respectful in the sense it was honest feedback and he gave provable facts and practical suggestions. Nothing over-the top, no demands, and no lies, or I would have remained silent. Slowly re-read what Matthew typed.

But, if its ok to be targeted by a mob here because of feedback, then Matt myself and a few others could form a mob of our own and attack/slander a whole host of people here for a whole host of reasons, is that ok? May it never be!  You should never justify mob attacks here for any reason, because its totally wrong, cowardly, and flight simmers need to stick together.

I hope respectful disagreements/dialog will be the way going forward - the Alpha will be here soon and I think we all have a common goal of a huge success for MSFS. :smile:

Mob mentality should count itself on notice.🧐🙂

Nitpicking isn't useful feedback, not at this stage anyway. I've been on the other side of this before working on flight sim add-ons, and it's very demotivating to share something you've been working on for so long, only to have the smallest of issues pointed out when you're not even done.

Myself and others have already explained this, but the sort of things he has pointed out are obvious to the people who are working on the game as their full time job. His responses have come across a bit condescending towards the developers and others here. This thread isn't the first time, and I think he was even temporarily banned previously.

If there's a problem, the moderators can take it up with those involved. For now, I'd love to see this thread get back on topic.

• Like 10

Brandon Filer

13 minutes ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

Nitpicking isn't useful feedback, not at this stage anyway. I've been on the other side of this before working on flight sim add-ons, and it's very demotivating to share something you've been working on for so long, only to have the smallest of issues pointed out when you're not even done.

Myself and others have already explained this, but the sort of things he has pointed out are obvious to the people who are working on the game as their full time job. His responses have come across a bit condescending towards the developers and others here. This thread isn't the first time, and I think he was even temporarily banned previously.

If there's a problem, the moderators can take it up with those involved. For now, I'd love to see this thread get back on topic.

My Dear friend,

I always fallback to these words of wisdom:

"What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."

"I disagree!" "Yes, you are right.."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, espent said:

Where I work the developers are very aware of all the problems that the software has.

What have you been doing for 25 years?

Wow, a software company that doesn't need a test department.

29 years here.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

"The information you seek, is much closer than you think"

What information are we seeking? Only two come in my mind:

- hardware requirements (stream, internet speed...)

- release date

We already know it won't be any subscription

Edited by Noooch
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Noooch said:

"The information you seek, is much closer than you think"

What information are we seeking? Only two come in my mind:

- hardware requirements (stream, internet speed...)

- release date

We already know it won't be any subscription

At the moment these are also my most important points which I would like to know.

One thing I would like to say, is.... scale. To me, scale of objects is so important and can really throw me off. Something I never saw alot of in FSX, but xplane 11 needs some help here, and even with addons. The crop textures look like 1 acre lots, not 10, or 20.... 30 acre parcels.  Water towers are 50 feet tall, and cooling towers are not much bigger. heck, the cup holders in the default baron cant even hold a pudding cup. Lol. 

But my point is, ensure the scale of objects,  hero objects,  or other autogen are relatively the correct size. I guess all these years it wasn't really noticable until you put your VR headset on. With VR becoming more and more playable,  and mainstream,  and even more popular in the not so distant future, the scale of objects,  are really noticed and can really throw off depth perception. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3