Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Worth investing in P3D addons or wait?

2 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I agree although Ed is technically correct.  But your statement is correct too.  I don't know what more they can do to perfect the simulator.  They have obviously been working on it for a long time before the E3 announcement.  The sim certainly looks polished and complete to me.  I do not think anyone knows exactly how polished and complete the simulator is other than the techs at Microsoft.  No sim has ever been released with perfection and with all the features everyone wants.  Soon after release, there's a issue with FPS, stuttering, blurry textures in Omaha, and many other things causing lots of discussions.  These issues are why AVSIM remains the Premier Simulation Resource where members can exchange information and discuss potential issues.  I hope Ed is not trying to bring down AVSIM by allowing a perfect product to be released sometime in far future... 

Read Hal Bryan's post (someone provided a link in another thread)... he noticed several areas needing more work.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I haven't (and won't) be buying any more add-ons for P3D unless MSFS fails shortly after release.

Sunk cost is a fallacy.  Take a scenario where you bought a $10,000 PC 10 years ago and want to upgrade it to play the latest sims/games.  You can throw money at this system, but it can only do so much.

You can throw money at P3D add-ons, but it's still going to have LUT for aircraft performance, autogen/tile-based scenery engine, and a cartoonish graphical style.  

I won't be switching to the new simulator in 2020 (or even 21), so.....

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

I think it's safe to assume that MSFS is at least 9 months out, as a Sept 2019 build was "pre-alpha".

Divide the price of the add-on by 9 (or 12). Will you get that value of enjoyment out of it every month?

47 minutes ago, domkle said:

What I understand is that the previewers had access to a sim with an almost complete slick UI, weather, night and day lighting, three aircraft, and the possibility to fly over the world (one flew in Portugal). I don't know what a "product" is in your books but it sounds like one is shaping up nicely to the simple simmer that I am.  

If they were a smaller, independent dev shop I'm sure they would have put this on Steam "Early Access" about a year ago. 😀

This is ultimately a Microsoft product though. Everything will have to go through several rounds of testing, localization, marketing. Big companies tend to move a lot slower.

Edited by nickhod

Just now, nickhod said:

I think it's safe to assume that MSFS is at least 9 months out, as a Sept 2019 build was "pre-alpha".

Divide the price of the add-on by 9 (or 12). Will you get that value of enjoyment out of it every month?

If they were a smaller, independent dev shop I'm sure they would have put this on Steam "Early Access" about a year ago. 😀

This is ultimately a Microsoft product though. Everything will have to go through several rounds of testing, localization, marketing. Big companies tend to move a lot slower.

I don't think it's "safe" to assume anything.  The technical Alpha release is due out in October.  Based on what a group of aviation and simulation enthusiasts were just shown at the preview day, this sim already has the base elements in place and it's only a matter of polish from here.  For all we know, MSFS will be on virtual shelves in 6 months.  

This is a very personal answer as each person has different needs, but as you are asking for our points of view... I'm on a waiting mode right now, actualy I am like that since I saw the first trailer. I'm getting ready to move completely to the new platform (moneywise). If it happens to derail when released (which I really doubt) I will resume the purchases for current sims.

The trailer completely kill the mood for me, concerning the current simulators. 

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

P3D got nuked out of existence. So no more addons.

• Like 2

Lukas Dalton

It's tempting will all of these 50%+ sales I've been getting in my emails lately.  I wonder why?  Sorry, not biting!   

At this point, my purchases of products for P3D are fully suspended. Since the first trailer in June I began being more thoughtful about what I would buy, but given the information that has come out since I am not planning on purchasing anything further. Rather, I am saving that money to upgrade my system when MSFS 202X is released.

I already have a lot of add-ons and I am basically happy with the way P3D looks and performs, it is the best I think I can achieve given the nature of the simulator. It seems that Microsoft has taken flight simulation a gigantic step forward, which is not surprising given its resources and that it has been nearly 15 years since its last iteration. It will not be perfect, we will all find issues, but I am fully confident it will be much, much better than what I have now and it is what will be built on going forward.

Today is a bitter/sweet day, acknowledging the end of an era in flight simulation -- I still remember buying FSX at Best Buy the day it was released -- but really excited for the next iteration.

• Like 1

Dan Scott

Microsoft will have managed to kill the addon industry before selling any product.

Great result 😞

Gérard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, DaWu said:

P3D got nuked out of existence. So no more addons.

Seriously doubt that as the EAA article indicated MSFS would be backward compatible with many 3d party products.  I will be keeping P3D installed on my system.  Probably will remove FSX.  There will be a lot of exploring once MSFS is released so may not use P3D for a couple of weeks.  I didn't realize Microsoft sold their FSX license to Lockheed.  Have a feeling Lockheed will move over to the new simulator for their Defense Department contracts.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

6 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Seriously doubt that as the EAA article indicated MSFS would be backward compatible with many 3d party products.

What are the licensing considerations there?

Will payware developers who sold FSX and P3D aircraft models be happy if their customers can easily import their models into the new MSFS? Obviously this is great for the end-user, but I foresee some potential drama here...

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Why will there be drama? The ported airplanes will use the legacy flight model, so this will clearly be an intermediate solution for the users.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2