Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

No support for TrackIR !?

On 10/27/2019 at 1:12 AM, b737800 said:

In case they are checking this thread, I offer them my sincere apologies that people are writing statements such as:

"deal breaker for me...."
"Huge mistake by them..!!!!"
"No Track IR. No MS Flight Simulator"
"Yep! So crazy it would be a showstopper for me too!"

in relation to a project which is only just reaching alpha stages.

Is that really how you like to get your way? How about keeping it to

Dear Microsoft and Asobo,
There are clearly a number of us that use TrackIR in our every day simming and it has become a huge part of the fun and immersion that we find in using the software. Please do give great consideration into incorporating TrackIR into the first full release of the software.

or of course you could keep throwing toys out of the pram. It sometimes worked in childhood.

Ha ha ha ha!!  Good one!  😆  For a minute, I thought you were serious.

• Upvote 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Personally I think this thread should be stickied as a constant reminder to MS, to implement TiR support!

😁

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Don't know why supporting TIR would be problematic for MS/Asobo. When Flight Sim World was announced they initially said 'no' to TIR support and outrage ensued. A programmer worked on it over the weekend (or maybe pulled an all-nighter) and added it, and that was that, it worked perfectly from day one (TIR support specifically, not the sim itself, lol).

• Like 2

Barry Friedman

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

It is a fundamental and basic interface which should not be overlooked.

Although I agree with what you say we should not forget that most of the millions and millions of FSX users (and zillions of future MSFS users) have never even heard of TrackIR. It is fundamental to me and you but you can't really say it's fundamental to the sim. Nor is it a basic interface. A hat switch is a basic interface. TrackIR support, though desired by many of us including me, isn't fundamental. I can guarantee you that MSFS will happily succeed and survive without getting TrackIR support ever so it's not fundamental. However, if MSFS would lack XBox (and similar) controller support... that might actually hurt MSFS sales... XBox-like controller support is a fundamental and basic interface and we can all be sure MSFS will have that. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, F737NG said:

Xbox controller support is fundamental, especially as MSFS is expected on Xbox 'Scarlett' late next year.

I don't think there is a single sim in the world silly enough to make the error of not supporting the Xbox controllers. 

The mind boggles at how a company would justify such an oversight.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 hours ago, Flamingpie said:

Although I agree with what you say we should not forget that most of the millions and millions of FSX users (and zillions of future MSFS users) have never even heard of TrackIR. It is fundamental to me and you but you can't really say it's fundamental to the sim. Nor is it a basic interface. A hat switch is a basic interface. TrackIR support, though desired by many of us including me, isn't fundamental. I can guarantee you that MSFS will happily succeed and survive without getting TrackIR support ever so it's not fundamental. However, if MSFS would lack XBox (and similar) controller support... that might actually hurt MSFS sales... XBox-like controller support is a fundamental and basic interface and we can all be sure MSFS will have that. 😉

You are right.  Wrong choice of words as a general commentary. 

But for me, it has become basic and fundamental (purely as I've been flying that way for years)  to the extent that I simply wouldn't fly otherwise.

Even more issues with my sim supporting TrackIR. That's 2 UPS issues on the same delivery within 3 days. No wonder Asobo don't want to commit.

a3df96a9b3a771717e90ea1ee3163a71.png

Well, just out of curiosity, I'm fine with my EdTracker Pro since my TIR 5 broke more than 1 yr ago.

I only used TIR for the combat sims, and when the it broke it really made a whole lot of a difference.

It took me some time to decide what to go next, and I surely didn't want to pay €170 for a new set, so, after some search, I decided to go Ed Tracker Pro, which has the advantage of not even requiring a camera, and works simply great in War Thunder, but also in XP, P3D, DCS and IL2.

Of course it's not 6dof, but does it's job nicely.

Also tried to couple it with OpenTrack to emulate additional axis, but the end result doesn't pay, at least for me, and so I reverted to simple EDT Pro.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

On 10/30/2019 at 5:38 AM, Kilo60 said:

This...^^^^

I am going to assume you haven't tried VR because if you had you would not be talking about trackir.  I had trackIR for years and it was cool...but the difference with TRAckIR and VR is huge. With trackIR you're just looking around your monitors, with VR you are sitting in the plane looking around. I actually went from TRackir to a full cockpit build...then ditched the cockpit build for VR.

Edited by Flybynumbers

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

...but it seems to me tricky to manage a physical throttle quadrant by just feeling for it. Do you use VR gloves to control these virtually?

With Track-IR, one can still see in the real world which may kill the immersion but enables one to take notes or control physical instrument panels etc.

You stab around in the dark for it. Literally. Actually it's pretty easy if you keep it in one place or it's roughly where it is in the 3d world. You very quickly stop putting drinks anywhere near the throttle or yoke though, or anywhere else on the desk. They get knocked over so frequently its almost funny.

The awkward thing to control is switches.

I often hear the word "immersion" used in respect to TrackIR, but after using VR you might quickly come to realise that, on a scale of 0-100, FS without either TrackIR or VR has an immersion level of 20, 40 with TrackIR and 90 with VR. VR is real 3d. You are literally in the cockpit, surrounded by all the panels and instruments. There is real depth.

There are however lots of drawbacks too:

Flipping switches etc.
Resolution, although it's not that bad.
Nausea... which can range from nothing to... lots.
...the others already mentioned, such as interaction with the real environment, although cutting that out is what creates much of the immersion.

Anyway my TrackIR arrived from Amazon today so I'll now give that a go. My first thought after opening the package is.... it is a lot of money for not much physical kit.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by b737800
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, b737800 said:

Anyway my TrackIR arrived from Amazon today so I'll now give that a go. My first thought after opening the package is.... it is a lot of money for not much physical kit.

Edited for spelling.

This. I think the thing is overpriced.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Just seen this post, I'm sure they will support TrackIR but if they don't I'm pretty sure TrackIR is like my X55 you can map X and Y view axis to the TrackIR head movement. If Microsoft don't do this I'm sure either the boys and girls who make TrackIR or somebody else can.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

IWith Track-IR, one can still see in the real world which may kill the immersion but enables one to take notes or control physical instrument panels etc.

... and pick up a hot cup of coffee!    😉

Al

Trackir works with Simconnect, so if Simconnect is in MSFS, Trackir will work.
It’s that simple...

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

my trackIR is working fine in  X- Plane.  I see no reason it should not be just as good in MS Flight Sim 2020.

• Upvote 1