Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

I was glad I didn't spend a dime on their P3D products because I suspected all the excuses for the excessive price increase were word not allowed, i am now even more satisfied with my decision.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

If you dont want pay 140 bucks, then go spend the money to get a real 737 type rating.

Isnt the whole point of flying P3d to get as close as possible to the real thing?

Yes, and no, to your question. While I believe we all aim at the most realistic and closest to real life experience, there´s an invisible line, separating what´s possible, to what´s viable financially. Can we get a 128 Core CPU, and run extremely detailed Flight Models, calculated in real time? Probably, is it financially viable? Not at all. It´s an entertainment market we´re talking about, with Gaming Desktops.

The same with the Sim Market must apply in my opinion. I get that Devs are trying to push the boundaries of realism, but there must be a limit, not in development, that´s up to them, but in how much they can ask their costumers back in compensation for that added complexity. They could go all the way, and model every single screw in the B737, but what would be the point in that, if they ask 1000$ for that addon? Who would be in the market for that? Sure, there will be costumers, but is that all the market they´re trying to cover? Absolutely not.

If they start justifying their product are for a select audience, without spending limits, who wants the most realistic thing possible, then go for 200$ and above. But if the Market they want using their product is simmers who really want a complete and realistic simulation, but can´t pay 1/4 of their monthly sallary to get that experience, they should adjust prices to become more realistic to the community as a whole.

I´m not saying in any way PMDG is evil, or disonest for doing that. They can do and charge whatever they want with it. I´m just argumenting if they want their products to continue to be all over the Market, and enjoyed by simmers all around the world, 140$ is just too much to ask.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

Alexis Mefano

The NGX packages are no longer visible on their site so I'm unsure how much they cost for P3Dv4 but I'm guessing the base package was around the same price as what they've quoted for the FS2020 version.
This update for the base package is $100. Assuming the previous base package was around $140, are the updates in this new release really worth paying around 70% of the original cost again to use on the same platform?
From what I read about the NG3, it is also being built on the NGX code so how much of the NG3 will be recycled from the NGX for FS2020 and is that why they are willing to offer you credit towards your FS2020 purchase? If so, why is the base pricing still so high for something that is clearly being branded as an entertainment platform by Microsoft?

I understand that part of the investment today will be realised when the FS2020 version of the product comes out but for a company that likes to project itself as very business aware, this is a highly demanding ask of their customers to blindly put faith in a product that has yet to be released for a platform that we know very little about. PMDG might have additional information but I, as a consumer, don't.

PMDG makes some great products, sure, but they have long since been dethroned by better developers like Majestic Simulations, Flight Sim Labs and Leonardo Simulations, to name a few. These other developers operate under the same 'high end developer' umbrella but manage to serve the community with a far more immersive experience, something PMDG is lacking severely.

In my opinion, PMDG is not worth the cover price anymore when someone like FSL or Majestic offers you so much more immersion. So I am not going to purchase this update marketed as an upgrade at the current price.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, krazyk said:

The NGX packages are no longer visible on their site so I'm unsure how much they cost for P3Dv4 but I'm guessing the base package was around the same price as what they've quoted for the FS2020 version.
This update for the base package is $100. Assuming the previous base package was around $140, are the updates in this new release really worth paying around 70% of the original cost again to use on the same platform?
From what I read about the NG3, it is also being built on the NGX code so how much of the NG3 will be recycled from the NGX for FS2020 and is that why they are willing to offer you credit towards your FS2020 purchase? If so, why is the base pricing still so high for something that is clearly being branded as an entertainment platform by Microsoft?

I understand that part of the investment today will be realised when the FS2020 version of the product comes out but for a company that likes to project itself as very business aware, this is a highly demanding ask of their customers to blindly put faith in a product that has yet to be released for a platform that we know very little about. PMDG might have additional information but I, as a consumer, don't.

PMDG makes some great products, sure, but they have long since been dethroned by better developers like Majestic Simulations, Flight Sim Labs and Leonardo Simulations, to name a few. These other developers operate under the same 'high end developer' umbrella but manage to serve the community with a far more immersive experience, something PMDG is lacking severely.

In my opinion, PMDG is not worth the cover price anymore when someone like FSL or Majestic offers you so much more immersion. So I am not going to purchase this update marketed as an upgrade at the current price.

Yeah, I like that post. salient point about other developers who's products are as good or better than PMDG offering. Personally, I think it's all about Boeing and in Particular the 737 and the 747. If FSL or Majestic had done either of those they would be just as good or even better than the PMDG versions. I regret not going the iFly route.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Seems like a fair price to me. All those complaining should either get a job or just go cuddle mummy.

• Like 1

Matthew S

24 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Yeah, I like that post. salient point about other developers who's products are as good or better than PMDG offering. Personally, I think it's all about Boeing and in Particular the 737 and the 747. If FSL or Majestic had done either of those they would be just as good or even better than the PMDG versions. I regret not going the iFly route.

I'll agree with you to an extent but what I was thinking about when writing my earlier post was basically the FSL addon and how it manages to make the aircraft seem alive, not to mention the deep integrations with other products such as GSX, ACARS networks, online networks, etc.
When I fly the FSL, I can almost lead myself to believe that I'm actually flying the real thing, even though I went with Boeings as my training route in the real world. It's partially why I believe FSL are clearly ahead of the game when it comes to innovation, something that used to be synonymous with PMDG addons once upon a time.

While the PMDG Boeings do tend to feel sterile, I don't think it is an inherent feature of the product they are trying to simulate. Can you imagine how much more immersive the NGX would be if their sound engine was like FSL or if they had complete GSX integration or if any PMDG product had environmental effects like FSL does?

Anyway, let me not deviate from the subject of the thread anymore.

None of us know what overheads PMDG have in order to produce these products.

While some devs claim "endorsed by xxx...", it is quite clear that PMDG have a special relationship that gives them access to information and resources others devs probably don't.

Do you seriously think this doesn't come at a cost, and being aviation, no doubt a BIG cost.

Just look at people who complain about the GTN's going around - "I want an updated world database" - fine, go buy one from Garmin and that will give you the reality check you need.

Also, while I don't support people being ripped off, I also support people being paid a fair price for their work. I bet each and everyone complaining would also complain if they were expected to work hundreds or thousands of hours for peanuts.

In any case, if you don't like it, vote with your wallet - don't sook and complain.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

David Porrett

Quite simple, I won't buy it at that price, it is simply too much for me because I do not fly tubeliners that much. I really like the 737 and I know a lot of the procedures by heart, but 140$ for something that I might fly for an hour or two a week is just a bit too much. If there's a cheaper alternative that offers adequate system depth (say a payware ZIBO equivalent) for up to 70$ I would rather buy that. I can understand that the 140$ is good value for money for people that use it all the time and who go for authenticity and realism, but it won't be for people who want to casually fly the 737 from time to time. Now MSFS will likely attract a lot of new potential pilots who do not even understand what PMDG stands for, so they will surely go for a cheaper alternative if it exists or just skip the 737 at all because of the steep pricing. 

I really think a lower price point would help spread the PMDG brand among the potential new customer base. I'm pretty sure they would make more profit in the end if they sell it for 69$ because they will not only sell it to old customers like me, but also to the potentially new customers who will also spread the word (you can bet that MSFS will get a lot of attention on social media). Spending more than 99$ (or probably even more than 69$) at once for a software entertainment product also brings up a psychological barrier because almost all other products are at or below that level. This will ensure that only enthusiasts will easily purchase the product.  

• Like 2

Must say I'm pretty underwhelmed with the release of NGXu  - from someone who has purchased every PMDG variant of the 737 from FSX to the current P3dV4.5. I just don't see the need for the 737NGXu. It certainly doesn't fill any void in needed aircraft.Pricing is becoming cost prohibitive, with no sign of any relief. When the MSFS2020 is released and we are able to see what is on offer and at what cost, I think it will be time to re-evaluate my Flightsim future. I get that developers put a lot of time into their product, but the consumers are not an endless source of money. We do have a life outside of it, with real world commitments and expenses. When an aircraft was too expensive or unavailable in FSX or Prepar3D, but cheaper or available in X-plane, I bought that version to get my sugar hit, but even in this platform they are becoming costly. Not to mention addons and utilities needed in both.

The time is not far off when I fear I will be leaving the FlightSim world, which I first entered and have contributed to, since the early 80's.

steve southey

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that RSR understands the free-market mechanics of this little niche market better than most.  For every person squealing "Too much!  I'm not buying it!!" there are a bunch of other folks (and many repeat customers) quietly purchasing it and enjoying it without feeling the need to jump up and down in public and declare how much their butts hurt from the indignity of not getting to "have it their way" in this non-Burger King world we live in.

After their more than 22 years in the business, I wouldn't surmise to think that I know more about PMDG's customer base and market dynamics than they do.  They've got a lot of actual experience and hard data on the price elasticity of demand in their market segment...those pontificating on how it should or might work if they sold the fruits of their labors at some other price point do not--they're only guessing.  There are all sorts of other factors they've also undoubtably considered, like the real cost of supporting the larger customer base that comes with lower prices, which would include much larger numbers of relatively unsophisticated users that would need hundreds or thousands of man-hours of additional hand-holding.  Few things are more pointless and wasteful of manpower than trying to provide customer support for an advanced software product to a mass of casual customers that range from not knowing the basics of the sim platform in use to those who don't know the difference between a file and folder and who can't even master copying and pasting text...been there, done that.

Selling a high-quality product to an enthusiastic, informed, and appreciative customer base seems like a good place to be...and if the market is bringing enough bread to the table at a price point that maintains that equilibrium, it's entirely reasonable to manage to that.  Wailing and whimpering about the high price of sirloin steak from the Burger King parking lot won't change a thing.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 6

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

After reading some posts about the NGXu I've decided to go with the Ifly 737.

I love the free market where producers compete with each other and can charge whatever the market will bear for their products.  However, there is a point at which a price can become unreasonable and I believe that PMDG has reached that point.

They've now lost me as a previous customer, and I assure you that they will lose more.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1$ = 1 hour

If I pay the 140$ I have to get at least 140 hours flying it in return. At that point it would be a worthy investment for me.

I think a lot complaining will re-think their position once the screenshots start appearing of the 737 in the nee FS 😉

David Porrett

We cannot prematurely judge that 140 dollars is too high for the product... when we haven't even seen the product.  It could be the best airliner ever released on a flight sim platform and judging from their body of work and in combination with the new sim it could be possible.

• Like 1