Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

15 hours ago, w6kd said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that RSR understands the free-market mechanics of this little niche market better than most.  For every person squealing "Too much!  I'm not buying it!!" there are a bunch of other folks (and many repeat customers) quietly purchasing it and enjoying it without feeling the need to jump up and down in public and declare how much their butts hurt from the indignity of not getting to "have it their way" in this non-Burger King world we live in.

First of all they won't be the first experienced company to hit the wall by raising their product price above the optimum price point / amount of sales ratio by far. Second, why do you think it is a bad thing if people state that the price point is too high? A lot of companies adjust their prices based on market research and polls among their user base, if enough people scream loud enough that the price is too steep that might be an actual indication that, well, maybe the price is actually too steep. Sure you can go ahead and wait too see how much you're going to sell anyway but you might get caught in the competition by doing so. 

I think it is a good thing that they've stated their price point right now and that people are complaining and I see no reason to smother the voices of these people complaining. They do it for a reason and it is up to PMDG to take action or to ignore it. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

We need a petition for Asobo to include XP aircraft compatibility with FS 2020. We need all XP planes available to fly. It will pay off big time for competition and bringing more users to their product.

39 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that RSR understands the free-market mechanics of this little niche market better than most.

IMO, this has nothing to do with any actual business strategies. Plain and simple, it's knowing that they can charge as much as they want, and people will still buy it. They're perfectly aware of the cult following they've accumulated over the years and are taking full advantage of it. The NGXu is a prime example of this. It's advertised as an entirely new product, yet there are many obviously reused art and sound assets (just looking through the textures, you can find major parts of the texture sheets for the VC that are copied directly from then NGX with a simple color correction).

If anything, prices of add-ons should be going down with the new platform, as an improved SDK should decrease the workload and effort required to do custom systems/functionality that previously weren't natively supported. Developers should be able to roll out products quicker in a well designed environment. On top of this, as you develop more and more aircraft, your workflow improves and you develop tools to make the process quicker and easier. You also learn what aspects of the product cause the biggest support load and you work to improve those areas.

I don't know what their development process is like, so maybe it's not my place to criticize, but having worked on a full fidelity airliner before, I can't imagine what would warrant such a hefty price tag for the everyday hobbyist. If there is some actual reasoning/logic to it, I'd love to know.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Brandon Filer

Just now, HughesMDflyer4 said:

If anything, prices of add-ons should be going down with the new platform, as an improved SDK should decrease the workload and effort required to do custom systems/functionality that previously weren't natively supported. Developers should be able to roll out products quicker in a well designed environment.

If my economics lessons don't fail me, in a monopoly, you don't really care about how much it costs to produce, only how much money you can make... It could even not cost anything to produce, they're not gonna give it away for free if they can make money.

4 minutes ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

I think it is a good thing that they've stated their price point right now

"Right now", however, is also a point in time where us mere customers don't know all about the sim and especially nothing about developing for it. PMDG certainly know a lot more given they've completely readjusted their development roadmap and entirely shifted the NG3 to MSFS. RSR said in the newest update that P3Dv4 and MSFS are entirely different platforms to develop for. We don't know how elaborate developing for the new sim is and how much it costs. We don't know how much it takes to support both platforms simultaneously. We don't know whether Microsoft have set forth conditions developers have to meet in order to work with the sim, be they financial and/or of other nature, and if so, how stringent they are.

Bottom line is we don't know anything about addon developing yet so I think people should sit back and see what the deal is behind the curtains before letting off all the steam at once.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

$140? It's official, we have lost our minds!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Sooo basically you paid almost 500$$$ for 1 aircraft.

fsx P3d and now fsx 

I’m confused 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, threegreen said:

"Right now", however, is also a point in time where us mere customers don't know all about the sim and especially nothing about developing for it. PMDG certainly know a lot more given they've completely readjusted their development roadmap and entirely shifted the NG3 to MSFS. RSR said in the newest update that P3Dv4 and MSFS are entirely different platforms to develop for. We don't know how elaborate developing for the new sim is and how much it costs. We don't know how much it takes to support both platforms simultaneously. We don't know whether Microsoft have set forth conditions developers have to meet in order to work with the sim, be they financial and/or of other nature, and if so, how stringent they are.

Bottom line is we don't know anything about addon developing yet so I think people should sit back and see what the deal is behind the curtains before letting off all the steam at once.

You are completely right, but still that doesn't mean that the pricing point may have an impact on how your customer reacts to it. Especially when your prices are outside the expected boundaries (which they clearly are in this case) it is good to monitor the response to your intended selling price. Therefore I say it is good that people react to it like they do. If you go to market with a too steep price and you have to lower it after a few weeks because sales are way behind you are going to anger your customers who bought your product at the full price, also it doesn't make a good impression when a product gets discounted very soon after release. 

Companies communicate their prices at a certain time for a reason. If lots of people start complaining about the price, especially your loyal customers or customers in a newly targeted market, you better do something about it before going to market. Either hype up the product, go way beyond expectation or lower your prices. 

But please tell me, what is so wrong about people complaining about a certain product price? I really like it when my customers tell me what they think about my product pricing, it is good feedback. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Alec said:

Yes, and no, to your question. While I believe we all aim at the most realistic and closest to real life experience, there´s an invisible line, separating what´s possible, to what´s viable financially. Can we get a 128 Core CPU, and run extremely detailed Flight Models, calculated in real time? Probably, is it financially viable? Not at all. It´s an entertainment market we´re talking about, with Gaming Desktops.

I agree with you in principle. However, ultimately the community controls the market. I will continue to buy pmdg products because I think they are the best and closest thing to tha actual airplane and because I can afford it. Same goes for fslabs. 

Pmdg caters to a specific market....the high end market. Just like the rtx 2080ti. A lot of people dont buy the 2080ti because it's not for them. 

My point is this, a lot of people are complaining about the price of a product because they csnt justify the price to themselves or they csnt afford it. Both of those are understandable reasons as to why they wouldn't buy the new 737.

Complaining about it though comes off as a tad bit juvenile. 

One big issue with our community is that when a developer makes a product, all the other developers wont touch the same airplane. It's like an unofficial monopoly and that leaves a lot of the different markets unfulfilled. 

On top of that, a lot of people in the community look down on others because they decided to go with another tier of the product and then madness ensues. ie..ifly vs pmdg. 

I think the ifly and pmdg products are what we need in this community. Same goes with the aerosoft and fslabs Airbus. It's perfect diversity within the market place that allows the community to pick and choose a product that fits their budgets and tastes.

It just sucks when childish people on these forums start wars about what product is better and why they themselves are better because they bought so and so product. 

Just my 2 cents which are worth nothing.

• Upvote 3

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

However, ultimately the community controls the market.” This is a very similar argument that was used in the early days of monopoly common law (or trust laws or whatever they call it in the US). The ‘community’ is at a massive disadvantage in monopolistic markets so it isn’t an argument that lasted very long...

I just want to know when it was announced that MSFS would be for "Professional Training?"

• Like 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I just want to know when it was announced that MSFS would be for "Professional Training?"

It will be but its gonna be called Prepar3D V5😁

3 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Seems like a fair price to me. All those complaining should either get a job or just go cuddle mummy.

I have a quality paying job (career), the price of this product is far too high for the entertainment category (IE the new MFS).  Entertainment is a made up word some FS companies have used when P3D came out....  "oh it's not to be used for entertainment and is a professional sim so we'll now be charging {whatever we want}"

I will also add that some of the most wealthy people on earth use a budget and if they dropped 140 bucks whenever they wanted, they would not be wealthy.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

16 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Complaining about it though comes off as a tad bit juvenile. 

Wow... just wow. So complaining about high prices is juvenile?! Are we this brainwashed already? You do know that if you call any of your service providers (phone, television, electricity) as a loyal customer and ask for a discount (and maybe threaten to move away to another provider) you're likely to get it? You do know that in a lot of countries it is normal to bargain about the price? That is because we are generally overpaying for almost anything you can think of. Do you know why that is? It is because we are taught that it isn't normal to question prices or to complain about them in a lot of western countries. We are taught to pay up like a bunch of sheep, to take it or leave it. A lot of things would be a lot cheaper if we would all speak up some more, but no, we are taught that you are cheap or childish and that you just should swallow the price. Because of that companies are raising their prices way beyond the actual rising costs and inflation and that is NOT a good thing economically speaking. It may eventually lead to piracy, product clones, crime, poverty and more (depending on the product or service). 

I have no problem with people who are willing to pay up the full price, but don't start to call people names when they complain or try to stop them from complaining. People have the right to let companies know what they think about their prices. Actually we should all do it some more.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4