Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

Sure if we follow Ralf's "common sense" I should pay thousands of euros for my chair because I'm sitting on it for thousands of hours. Let's have music albums that costs 1000 euros, with the amount of hours I would listen it's only dozen of cents per hour, so cheap !

• Like 16
  • Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, cepact said:

Sure if we follow Ralf's "common sense" I should pay thousands of euros for my chair because I'm sitting on it for thousands of hours. Let's have music albums that costs 1000 euros, with the amount of hours I would listen it's only dozen of cents per hour, so cheap !

You pay for what you like at the price you like. You don't like the price, you don't buy. Isn't that common sense ? This is called a market. As you rightly said in another thread the PMDG high prices should boost the competition !  

140 USD is a lot of money at purchase, I agree, not so much for a long-term use compared to many one-shot entertaintment or subscription. 

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

At this price, I want to be able to test it before buying but first.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pitbull2504 said:

At this price, I want to be able to test it before buying but first.

And indeed some developers do that. I think Flight1 does have a return policy. So I think you can get a full refund on iFly if you are not satisfied with the purchase. I'd be surprised if iFly are not also eyeing MSFS 2020 for a 737. I think MSFS 2020 will really stir the pot for developers. Some will sink and others will rise.

Whether the price is reasonable on its terms is a separate question. Time (and sales figures) will tell, I guess.

But to be honest, I do find this announcement shockingly brazen after all the repeated official explanations of their stratospheric P3D pricing being due to increased legal expenses because it’s a training platform, etc etc etc. So it was all disingenuous, at best. A lot of us strongly suspected as much, but to have it confirmed so starkly and without an eye batted, well...

James

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

I don’t see how anything that costs $140 and is purely for entertainment can be considered price gauging, that’s absurd.  A PMDG plane is not gas after a natural disaster. Just bc YOU want something that’s for fun and want to pay less does not make it gauging.  

That’s cool that some of you have decided to be the authoritative voices of what margins are acceptable for other people’s business. Overpriced, wish it was less, it will be a tough decision, or I can’t pay that based on principal and how I spend my money, are all reasonable responses. PMDG bashing, demanding to have reasons based on margins and throwing around terms like gauging is silly and not accurate. 

You simply buy or don’t buy based on free economic will with your money. I wish it was closer to $99.99 and as an amateur software economist I think at $60 they could do better long term but gauging? Rip off? Seems extreme. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Alec said:

No Thank you. Doing fine with other addons up to or more well done, costing less.

A reasonable and polite answer. Looking at quality and price, the ratio is not good  and I pass. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, cepact said:

Perfect point! We have always found ways to justifying our spending habits with simulation in general. I know I have! But it gets to a point that there´s simply no excuse to charge so much money.

If it was a professional tool, helping us achieve our professional goals, then great, worth every penny. But it´s an entertainment product! The License clearly says so, so 140$ is just too steep of a price. People play thousand of hours at games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, etc, but in the end, the price is the same 69$ every other game in the industry costs. It doesn´t matter how many hours you put into it, it´s entertainment software, and should be priced as such.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Alexis Mefano

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

And indeed some developers do that. I think Flight1 does have a return policy. So I think you can get a full refund on iFly if you are not satisfied with the purchase. I'd be surprised if iFly are not also eyeing MSFS 2020 for a 737. I think MSFS 2020 will really stir the pot for developers. Some will sink and others will rise.

Good point, also pretty sure the iFly comes with all variants including the BBJ. I've already purchased the NGX twice including the 600/700 expansion - so will certainly not be in a rush to do it again, unless (by the time I manage to upgrade my machine) FS2020 is completely devoid of other quality jets....

.... but would certainly try the iFly first anyway if that becomes available..

G

• Upvote 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

26 minutes ago, Alec said:

Perfect point! We have always found ways to justifying our spending habits with simulation in general. I know I have! But it gets to a point that there´s simply no excuse to charge so much money.

If it was a professional tool, helping us achieve our professional goals, then great, worth every penny. But it´s an entertainment product! The License clearly says so, so 140$ is just too steep of a price. People play thousand of hours at games like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, etc, but in the end, the price is the same 69$ every other game in the industry costs. It doesn´t matter how many hours you put into it, it´s entertainment software, and should be priced as such.

If you dont want pay 140 bucks, then go spend the money to get a real 737 type rating. 

Oh wait, you probably dont have that kind of money or aeronautical experience...

Which means, you can pay the super small one time fee which will put you as close a possible to flying a real 737. 

Isnt the whole point of flying P3d to get as close as possible to the real thing?

But 140 bucks is just too much to spend. 

Oh and your comparison to aaa title games is flawed. Those game literally come out with constant PAID FOR DLC and new titles every year which really arent any different ther the previous years game. Fs stuff of this caliber takes years to develop. Tell me when you saw fslabs or pmdg churning out airplanes once a year with the same quality?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

It's really quite simple, PMDG is a business, and they price their products at what they think the market can bear, just like any other business. If we think the price of something is too high, we don't buy it. That's now the market works, at least in the US.  If the price is too high, the market will adjust. Given how many 1000s of manhours it probably takes to develop something like a complex study level a/c simulation (at maybe an average of $30/hr perhaps -- wild guess), I don't find the price unreasonable, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to buy it at that price. We each have to decide what it is worth to us. I get the impression that some see developers like PMDG as some sort of flight sim charity.

Anyone price a SINGLE round of 'entertainment' golf at a good public golf course lately?

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 6

You guys are seriously having an issue with people not liking this price? Really?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

13 minutes ago, Krakin said:

You guys are seriously having an issue with people not liking this price? Really?

No, not at all. That's not my point. I don't like the price either and don't plan to buy the 737NG3 -- it's not worth it to me. That doesn't mean I think PMDG is less than an honorable business ( and I no longer play golf    😉   ).

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1