Sign in to follow this  
CaptMatto

What will you do in the new sim?

At LPMN's recently created ATO, the Soaring Center I belong to, we are planning to build a soaring simulator based on Condor, with a cockpit enclosure from an old Junior.

Problem is the main aim of that training tool would be to give some basic insight into flying at the various states of a soaring session, experiment with "emmergencies", etc.., and a good scenery for the area is naturally a requisite.

All I tried with X-Plane was far from convincing, and then X-Plane's FDM leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to modeling a glider. OTOH Condor scenery even in it's latest version is very basic, and the old scenery for Portugal hasn't been migrated to the new version.

It appears to me going MFS on this project will probably be our best choice.

At home I plan mainly to be able to use MFS as a visuals generator for Aerowinx PSX, which I keep using standalone because none of the P3D or XP bridges is satisfying. Let's see how it'll feel with MFS, but at least from the visuals POV it really looks promising 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

38 minutes ago, MattBarraud said:

Med, and from there who knows! 🙂

I can propose you something Venice Athens Istanbul Antioch Palmyra Bagdad Ekbatana Teheran Meshhed Bukhara Samarkand Kashgar Duanhuang Zhange Langzgou Xi’an, the Marco Polo Tour 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Jump in my virtual Ferrari

Drive to KUAO

Hop in my newly minted Carbon Cub

Follow the Willamette River at 500 feet hopefully dodging the power lines along the way. Drop down over the Willamette falls then water ski my cub under the Oregon City Arch bridge...regain altitude, check out my house then return to KUAO.

Drive back home into the arms of my non-virtual trophy wife.

😁

• Like 2

Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win10 Pro

The very first thing I will do is see if I can afford it! 🤣

If I can, the next thing will be some short flights from my home airport to some familiar airports before I attempt a 'round the world flight like @UAL4life suggested.

These are all great ideas. I will explore the world and fly over my house....

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

I’m also going to fly in a cessna as high as the game will let it go and then switch off the engine at the tip of Scotland and see how far I can glide down the UK. 

And also I’m quite interested to see if it’s possible to do an emergency landing upside down, and which plane is best for doing it. I think a 747 might be possible. 

for more normal fun I am going to do a mini England tour, starting from Carlisle to mcr. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

Fly!

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Probably get a refund and go back to Xplane..

• Upvote 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The first thing I am going to do is...

• Install the new version of MSFS;

• Try to immediately install a PMDG airplane;
  • React incredulously when said PMDG airplane does not install in the new simulator;
  • Violently reject any notion that I am not entitled to installing it because I bought the 747 for FSX and gosh darnit I should be able to use it where ever and whenever I gosh darn please;
  • Give up that forum argument and move on to...

• Try to install ActiveSky;
  • Whine when told that ActiveSky does not yet support the new simulator;
  • Get cranky when I learn that ActiveSky may not actually be required or needs to be adapted to the new platform;
  • Blame the vendor for not having it ready yet regardless of the circumstances;
  • Give up and move on to...

• Try to install FSUIPC;
  • React irrationally when told that the new sim either doesn't need FSUIPC, or I will have to wait for it;
  • Explain that I paid good money 10 years ago for it and I DESERVE to be satisfied immediately - what, was this new version a surprise or something??
  • Give up and move on to....

• Try to install my favorite custom airport scenery;
  • Lose my mind on the forums when the installer doesn't recognize the new sim;
  • Spend 12 hours trying to hack the scenery into the new sim because someone, somewhere said there might be a hint of backwards compatibility;
  • Give up and move on to...

• Ok fine, I guess now I'll start the sim for the first time to see what it looks like "out-of-the-box"...

😁 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

I am hopeful though, Asobo won't disappoint with the default airfields.

Me too.  For so many years now I've literally only flown in ORBX regions solely due to the fact their small fields are more interesting than the terrible default fields in FSX/P3D.  I've been stuck flying the west coast and Alaska, and Australia. I'm really hoping MFS opens the world up to me with interesting small bush strips instead of the boring bland stock FSX strips.

23 minutes ago, Mengy said:

Me too.  For so many years now I've literally only flown in ORBX regions solely due to the fact their small fields are more interesting than the terrible default fields in FSX/P3D.  I've been stuck flying the west coast and Alaska, and Australia. I'm really hoping MFS opens the world up to me with interesting small bush strips instead of the boring bland stock FSX strips.

I think it will all depends on how accurate you are expecting them to be. I think they will look good and probably have the buildings with accurate sizes and shapes (saw from above). 

But people expecting the terminals will have the correct architectural details will be disapointed. They can't make custom terminals for the 40000+ airports. Airports like we've seen so far (KSFO, KLAX and Courchevel) will look really good, but they will be just a few. Also the Azure A.I. can't guess the Architectural details 100% accurate (that's what I think). 

That said, I would expect something way better than anything we've seen so far on the current sims, but don't expect 100% accurate airports (terminals will look a little generic, I think, but maybe more diverse than what we see today).

Edited by ca_metal

10 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I think it will all depends on how accurate you are expecting them to be. I think they will look good and probably have the buildings with accurate sizes and shapes (saw from above). 

But people expecting the terminals will have the correct architectural details will be disapointed. They can't make custom terminals for the 40000+ airports. Airports like we've seen so far (KSFO, KLAX and Courchevel) will look really good, but they will be just a few. Also the Azure A.I. can't guess the Architectural details 100% accurate (that's what I think). 

That said, I would expect something way better than anything we've seen so far on the current sims, but don't expect 100% accurate airports (terminals will look a little generic, I think, but maybe more diverse than what we see today).

At least when it comes to small airfields the accuracy is not so important for me but the plausibility.

For me it would be good enough to have some high resolution buildings, lots of clutter, moving vehicles, humans and animals around the airfield where they look plausible. It does not have to look exactly like the real thing. That could be left for third party addons.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

At least when it comes to small airfields the accuracy is not so important for me but the plausibility.

Exactly.  I'm just hoping for small airfields to approximate their real life counterparts, not be perfect replicas.

So many airfields in FSX had no autogen at all even though in real life they would have many bulidings.  FSX is filled with bland boring grass/dirt strips out in the open with nothing around them at all.  I just want the sim world to feel real, even if it isn't precise.

• Upvote 1