Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Calm down

43 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

I think the developing consensus on hardware is that if you can play a AAA game right now in 1080p or 4k at a decent frame rate,  you'll be able to fly at a decent frame rate in the sim.

Whats a decent frame rate? Better be 60fps. Better be!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, aleex said:

I think most of us here has flown on FSX, and it’s difficult to have worst flying haha.

By default, perhaps. However, the best FSX add-ons compare well with what's available for other sims.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

50 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Whats a decent frame rate? Better be 60fps. Better be!

"Decent frame rate" is subjective. We'll all have a different opinion about that, because we all have different thresholds for what's acceptable in eye candy, and how we balance that with the capability of our hardware.

My personal definition of decent frame rate is one that's fast enough to give me a sense of ground cushion when landing fixed wing or rotary aircraft. if I can grease the landing and it feels smooth, that's fast enough. And it has to be smooth as silk, with no stutters or pauses to break immersion.

In the sim I'm flying now (XP11) with medium-high graphics settings on a 1920x1200 monitor and injected real weather, I'm usually flying at around 45 fps over most terrain. It can shoot up to 60 or 70 fps in clear skies over water. It never gets lower than 35 fps. Smooth as silk, no stutters. For me, that's a decent frame rate. My hardware specs are in the sig below -- a medium-grade 1080p gaming computer more or less, not state of the art.

So, how much eye candy do you want, and what kind of rig can you afford? 🙂 For all the many years I've been involved in flight sims, that has always been how this works. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Seriously:  Do some of you sleep next to your PC so you can be right near the P3D sim at night? 

Yes, but it's ok.  I'm married to it. 😄

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

39 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

"Decent frame rate"

Your right! but my point is that expectations are so high for Microsoft Flight Simulator that any kind of crack in the amour is going to endure far more scrutiny and negativity than would otherwise be the case. Not so much from seasoned flight simmers but the gaming public in general. I have read that Microsoft Flight Simulator is anticipated to be the biggest new game of 2020. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Imagine that flight sim is going to go from a niche outlier (so much so that the biggest thing in it is an obscure training platform provided by a member of the military industrial complex) to the centre of the gaming universe. The last 2 times that Flight sim got hyped up like this it imploded. With XPlane that never really happened because 1. Expectations where reasonable and 2. They where more or less meet.

EDIT: I changed my mind. Probably from seasoned flight simmers too.

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Your right! but my point is that expectations are so high for Microsoft Flight Simulator that any kind of crack in the amour is going to endure far more scrutiny and negativity than would otherwise be the case. Not so much from seasoned flight simmers but the gaming public in general. I have read that Microsoft Flight Simulator is anticipated to be the biggest new game of 2020. The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Just my opinion, but I think the potential uptake from the gaming public in general isn't going to be what many people here think it will be. MSFS is getting a lot of interest on non-simulator gaming sites, but that's based on the "wow" external world graphics, not the actual flying, which has always been a niche gaming activity for civilian flight sims.

Without a combat element, I expect most gamers who are interested in MSFS based on game industry media exposure will fly it for a week or two if they have it free on an XBox pass, just long enough to fly over their house a few times, maybe zoom down the Grand Canyon. Then they'll run out of things to do, and move on to something else.

MSFS will likely have some kind of missions, but it's probably not going to be the carnival-type stuff like flying through rings in the air. Maybe I'll end up being wrong, but I just don't see this having long-term appeal for someone who isn't already fascinated with aviation. 

Anyway, back to the topic of expectations about performance. I think MS/ASOBO can manage this with a scan of the user's system on first boot-up, and defaulting to what the hardware can handle with a reasonable frame rate. Same way every modern big-budget game works on installation. On low-spec hardware it might not look quite as sexy as the promotional trailers, but it will be flyable, and the user can make adjustments for the balance they want. I'm not expecting a repeat of the initial FSX release that wasn't optimized for current gen hardware. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

This whole post is almost exactly what I wanted to post when we received the announcement back at E3. To less of an extent of course. To put simply, we must not over hype the simulator because we don’t want people saying “this sucks I’m going back to Xplane/P3d...etc”. 

For years we we have dreamed that Microsoft would return to the flight simulator franchise so let’s not screw this up! 

Meaning let’s give it a chance no matter what because Asobo seems very dedicated to making this simulator the best it can be. Even if it’s not completely perfect at release, they have made it clear that they will work on features after release. 

Basically we don’t want to lose all momentum with the simulator due to peoples expectations not being met and have Microsoft abandon it. That’s really the only thing I’m worried about. I know we are in good hands with Asobo, its the reception to the public I’m worried about. 

• Like 2

Don't tell me to calm down. Nothing stops this hype train!

• Like 7

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

They are making Flight Simulator for millions of users. I dont think a few avsim users can screw it up. 

• Like 5

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

After much reflection with my loved ones and business advisors, I've decided to continue managing my own level of hype. I appreciate the support and advice offered by everyone in this thread.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I have to keep expressing the same opinion over and over again otherwise when I say "I told you so" in few months you guys won't know what I am talking about.😁

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

Imagine that flight sim is going to go from a niche outlier (so much so that the biggest thing in it is an obscure training platform provided by a member of the military industrial complex) to the centre of the gaming universe. The last 2 times that Flight sim got hyped up like this it imploded. With XPlane that never really happened because 1. Expectations where reasonable and 2. They where more or less meet.

EDIT: I changed my mind. Probably from seasoned flight simmers too.

Mostly from seasoned flight simmers. Especially those who have a bias towards a particular sim.

You look at mainstream gaming forums that talk about MSFS and the overwhelming reaction is that they are blown away by what they're seeing. There's very little bellyaching about minor things that can easily get fixed by devs and no mentions of deal breakers or any "No buy!".

As someone else mentioned, the few people on Avsim choosing to expect  everything being perfect on launch day will not make or break the sim. As long as Asobo are genuine in their commitment to excellence, I see no reason why this wont be the most successful release in the series.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

36 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I have to keep expressing the same opinion over and over again otherwise when I say "I told you so" in few months you guys won't know what I am talking about.😁

What can really happen?

Some casuals find out that they actually find flight simming boring? Fine. Nothing to do there.
Some flight simmers found out that in contrast to their over the top expectations it actually will have flaws in the beginning? OK. So they are a bit disappointed, but it will still be the only next gen flight sim available. So they will return after whining a little.

The worst that really can happen, is that some people who didn't think about trying out a flight sim, actually find it appealing and stick with it. Well that and maybe mSparks nightmare scenarios.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I can't wait for MSFS 2020.  It is going to be awesome.  Businesses and governments will close down from people calling in sick to play it.  The tourism industry will collapse as this is just as realist as real life, and you can tour the world from your couch.  Life on this planet will forever be changed.

It is my hype, let me be responsible for any disappointment.  It is not like we haven't seen commercials or trailers before.  Next you will tell me Red Bull doesn't give you wings.

Also, if there are problems with the sim, should we not point them out?

16 hours ago, Avidean said:

Everyone will stick with P3D V5 when its relased

because although it will look exactly the same as P3D V4 LM will have optimized the code so much

that even modest hardware will run at 90fps in VR with all the setting maxed out.

You Sir are in Violation of you NDA with LM and I am going to report you. Now everyone has the info and performance spec's on the  Prepar3d V5,0. and it is not even scheduled to be released until late next week. 

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/