Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

Canadian Government just announced that Canadians abroad should return to Canada while the commercial means are still available. So, I suspect that a lot of airspace and ports will be closing shortly.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

41 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

Canadian Government just announced that Canadians abroad should return to Canada while the commercial means are still available. So, I suspect that a lot of airspace and ports will be closing shortly.

Maybe a preamble to closing our borders. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

20 minutes ago, odourboy said:

Maybe a preamble to closing our borders. 

Or maybe no more free flights. I think the borders will be shut down.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

The US Air Force Academy is sending all but the graduating class home this weekend...that's 3,000 cadets.  They already have some folks isolated, and decided that there's no such thing as "social distancing" with 4000 cadets living and working in tight quarters.  I wonder if the Doolies (the freshmen) will have to stand at attention and do pushups in front of a webcam at home.  Tele-hazing...another new first. 

Yes I was wondering about the Barracks situation but they must have some contingencies in place for that. 

The cadets will probably have to do it all over again, usually with boot camps if it gets disbanded they have to start again. A friend of mine was in her last week of boot camp when there was an HR complaint against a drill sergeant, She wasn't the one that complained but the entire group had to do it all over again, she was not a happy cadet.

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

Well here in New Zealand things are sure heating up.

After midnight tonight (Sunday 15th March 1100z) everyone entering NZ has to go into self isolation for 14 days. The only exemptions are for folk from the neighbouring pacific islands or aircrew and ship crew on duty. It is a bold move but one which will decimate our economy (which is heavily tourist dependent). This will have a significant effect on all of those directly involved, or in support of, the tourist industry. The main tourist area, the south island, has only just finished having to deal with widespread flooding, that isolated some communities, and now this. All cruise ship visits cancelled until June 30. Around 80 ships were expected over the season. The forestry industry has ground to a halt as our main trading partner, China, cannot clear the huge stockpile of logs. 10s of thousands of foreign students (mainly form Asia) cannot enter the country to start or continue their studies. This is having a major impact on the education sector (which has become reliant on this as part of it's normal revenue stream) with many education providers entering serious debt levels.
The airline I work for is looking at significant capacity reductions with corresponding redundancies and downtraining for flight crew and general redundancies across the rest of the work force.
The downstream economic effect of this "crisis" will be huge. Life changing for many.
A little perspective:

Covid-19.jpg

Edited by cowpatz
Additional info

Cheers

Steve Hall

@cowpatz - Interesting chart.  But what really matters is the orange type on the left-hand side.  Coronavirus is an emerging threat, so you wouldn't expect it to throw up the same numbers as things that have been around for decades or much longer.  The issue here isn't what it's done, it's what it might do. 

Here are a couple of interesting articles - the first with general numbers, the second (pitched mainly at Americans, but maybe of interest elsewhere) about the importance of social distancing.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

I was making reference to the economic effect heating up rather than the health effect. 

Cheers

Steve Hall

3 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

I was making reference to the economic effect heating up rather than the health effect. 

That's gonna be global as well, but for NZ a few positives as it will reset the housing and rental markets and a few adjustments along the way, it was already way out of balance and near collapse before this, all this has done was speed up that inevitable process. 

We are planning our Queenstown Vacation this year for August, instead of our usual Gold Coast, this year we will go to Queenstown instead. The best thing to do is fill those rooms that the tourists are abandoning at the moment. It will probably be the best Queenstown vacation in a very long time as that got too overly commercialized as well and I have avoided it for many years now

Matthew Kane

Worth noting that Steve Thorne (Flight Chops) changed the title of his video.

The new title is:

Yes, yes we Cancel Everything... A lot changed in 72 hours

Noted for what it's worth.

12 hours ago, cowpatz said:

Well here in New Zealand things are sure heating up.

After midnight tonight (Sunday 15th March 1100z) everyone entering NZ has to go into self isolation for 14 days. The only exemptions are for folk from the neighbouring pacific islands or aircrew and ship crew on duty. It is a bold move but one which will decimate our economy (which is heavily tourist dependent). This will have a significant effect on all of those directly involved, or in support of, the tourist industry. The main tourist area, the south island, has only just finished having to deal with widespread flooding, that isolated some communities, and now this. All cruise ship visits cancelled until June 30. Around 80 ships were expected over the season. The forestry industry has ground to a halt as our main trading partner, China, cannot clear the huge stockpile of logs. 10s of thousands of foreign students (mainly form Asia) cannot enter the country to start or continue their studies. This is having a major impact on the education sector (which has become reliant on this as part of it's normal revenue stream) with many education providers entering serious debt levels.
The airline I work for is looking at significant capacity reductions with corresponding redundancies and downtraining for flight crew and general redundancies across the rest of the work force.
The downstream economic effect of this "crisis" will be huge. Life changing for many.
A little perspective:

Covid-19.jpg

These graphs and charts being spread "for perspective" are really frustrating.  Tuberculosis has been around for in some estimates 6,000 years, COVID-19 about 6 weeks.  If you were to scale COVID-19 only preventable by social distancing up to even current Flu numbers it would easily surpass Tuberculosis as the #1 killer in the world.  Start thinking more like the 1918 flu which killed 50M people all within months of it's outbreak.  So the issue is not current numbers, the issue is if it scales and spreads the mortality rate would surpass anything we have seen in modern times.  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

43 minutes ago, psolk said:

These graphs and charts being spread "for perspective" are really frustrating.  Tuberculosis has been around for in some estimates 6,000 years, COVID-19 about 6 weeks.  If you were to scale COVID-19 only preventable by social distancing up to even current Flu numbers it would easily surpass Tuberculosis as the #1 killer in the world.  Start thinking more like the 1918 flu which killed 50M people all within months of it's outbreak.  So the issue is not current numbers, the issue is if it scales and spreads the mortality rate would surpass anything we have seen in modern times. 

Indeed.  This is, at its foundation, an exponential math problem, and the devil is in the numerical details.  To the mathematically illiterate, low numbers of fatalities are perceived and touted as evidence of an insignificant problem early in the curve (especially when wrongly compared to fatality figures from other diseases taken at a different point much further down the time axis), so they conclude it isn't that big a problem.  That's the really dangerous "it's just the flu" approach.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, psolk said:

TB wasnt created from a wet market.

14ppkc-6.png

Just in:

Germany closes all its borders tomorrow 8:00am CET, but goods traffic is still allowed through,
besides stopping the spread of the virus panic buying (extreme increase) is also a reason to prevent delivery delays here.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:58 PM, Twenty6 said:

Not even worth reacting to.

Give him a free trip to Italy.

See the sights. Nobody around.