Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

About the myth that only a small part of the population is at risk - here's a good corrective.  Great channel, by the way.  Fair warning that he says a single bad (though bleeped) word right at the end.  That shouldn't keep you from watching, but if it does, you've been trigger-warned.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

The UK government have currently block purchased the facilities of the private sector to assist in dealing with COVID-19.

Likely to be a more effective response than the chaos currently in progress elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

Update from Italy: cases have been reducing since the 20th of March but we are still not at the peak, however today we had half the increment in new cases compared to yesterday. This however is given by a "good" component and a bad one. The good one is, today we have the record of healed cases. The bad, over 900 people died.

On this chart you can find how the certified deaths are splitted between the age of the patients:

https://www.datawrapper.de/_/Hm8rK/

There are hints of positive signs in other European countries too

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-cases-3-day-average

Whilst different countries test to a greater or lesser degree it should remain consistent by country.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

About the myth that only a small part of the population is at risk - here's a good corrective

A very sobering video. There is so much research needed into the way different categories of victims are reacting to the infection.

• Like 1

John B

4 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

There is so much research needed into the way different categories of victims are reacting to the infection.

Agree.  We're still dealing relatively blind.

58 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

There are hints of positive signs in other European countries too

There seems to be some flattening where restrictions are in place.  Which is why they need to stay in place.

• Like 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@HiFlyer - Thanks. There's a lot of that out there - in public (that nurse in the Elmhurst Hospital video a couple of days ago), and I'm hearing it in every conversation I have with friends who are hospital physicians, physicians' assistants, first responders, etc.  I think we're going to be in for a horrific few weeks.

I have seen some reports that some country's are not including deaths in old peoples homes to save time and resources testing, they are not counted in the totals       

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

In today's official broadcast it sounded like here in UK those cases may not be included yet. I think they said it could take about 2 weeks for a death outside hospital to be included in the total.

Edited by Biggles2010
corrn

John B

4 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

Now we have a retired UK Supreme Court judge being given air time on the BBC to claim that the risk is grossly exagerated, and in his opinion the restrictions are totally excessive and a repression of human rights. ...

What an word not allowed! I'm surprised the senile git has been given air to breathe, let alone air time... :marah:

To be honest, I think the only people who think the restrictions are excessive and a repression of rights are the ones without any hobbies or pastimes and who have to constantly go to parties getting drunk just to have a good time..

Yes, I feel sorry for the people whose pastimes only involve outdoor activities, but there is nothing most of us can do in that regard.

Online console, PC gaming & simming has plenty of social interaction.... without "going on the sesh"

Hobbies, board gaming, doing jigsaws for goodness sake - a lot of this can be enjoyed at home even if a person has no family.

Phew! Rant over.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Here is a site with a little more granularity, if you scroll down the page about half way to the bar graph showing number of new cases and look at UK and US as well as others, you'll see a dip starting to occur (Mar 30). Keep an eye on this, as more of the world goes to lock down this hopefully will continue a downward trend. That is the sign we have been hoping and waiting for. If everyone does their part with social distancing there is no reason why this trend won't continue!

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#the-growth-rate-of-covid-19-deaths

Martin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biggles2010 said:

In today's official broadcast it sounded like here in UK those cases may not be included yet. I think they said it could take about 2 weeks for a death outside hospital to be included in the total.

I was not referring to the UK. in not counting people dying in old peoples homes it may take months for a more accurate count in the world. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

47 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Here is a site with a little more granularity, if you scroll down the page about half way to the bar graph showing number of new cases and look at UK and US as well as others, you'll see a dip starting to occur (Mar 30). Keep an eye on this, as more of the world goes to lock down this hopefully will continue a downward trend. That is the sign we have been hoping and waiting for. If everyone does their part with social distancing there is no reason why this trend won't continue!

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#the-growth-rate-of-covid-19-deaths

Martin

Good news if it holds.  And thanks for the reminder about what a great source this is.

EDIT: Any concerns about underreporting, though?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nidhiprakash/coronavirus-update-dead-covid19-doctors-hospitals

Edited by Alan_A