Sign in to follow this  
xxd09

Learning a lesson

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

1080P or 4k?

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Something else is accessing your CPU, OR hard drive 'read's...that is what is causing that. It is system specific, and not V5.  Find out what is resident in memory in your system.  Anti-Virus...will most certainly do that,...for it parses/sniffs every read-write action request on your system as well as any other program that is active in memory for checking in intervals updates such as anything written by Apple..for if you are connected to their product server...movies, music..cloud...  My v5 is stutter free, but I make sure that all back-ground programs and unneeded O.S. services are made inactive. I have always done that from the days of FS9.  If your flight sim (any and all sim RTM's) animation stutters,..first look outside of it...for most likely system-active is the culprit.

Hardware and software has come a long way since FS9 days and that kind of suppression and offloading programs to second computer yields nothing these days. It's a futile attempt.

And it most certainly is P3Dv5 specific for him as P3Dv4 runs okay.

First thing I would look is that your sim settings would be sensible. If you max everything out with mediocre hardware then one can not expect decent performance. And perhaps try with HT turned off.

7 minutes ago, regis9 said:

It will be interesting to see how 8gb cards fare once we get more complex airliners into v5, but also to see what Lockheed Martin can do to mitigate the vram consumption issues in the hot fix.

Already running my QW 787 in v5, mind you its not the v5 version but the 4.5 version.

I get suttering and the odd crash with hung gpu.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Am i to understand that my 1070GTX.8gb will not reliably run v5?

Theres no cash for a new GPU so where does that leave myself and others???

Wait for a hotfix and see.

or go back to 4.5

ir buy a new card.

Is this I hyperthreading on or off issue?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

6 hours ago, xxd09 said:

My computer specs-i7-8700K Coffee Lake CPU 6 cores 3.7-4.7 GHz,Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB,32 GB DDR4 3000mhz,24” Asus VS247H Widescreen LED monitor are not enough to run P3Dv5 even at Default-constant stutters-very unpleasant!

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

There are plenty of v5 nagging issues, and the vram sensitivity associated with the migration to DX12 was particularly frustrating at first.  But, you both should be able to run with similar settings to v4.5 and see some performance improvement.  If you want to track it down, I would suggest posting a screenshot that looks like this one and include the settings you're using.  Basically, before you launch P3D, right click on your task bar and choose "Task Manager" and let that come up - change it to the performance tab and then click on GPU - this should bring up GPU utilization.  Next click on "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom - once that opens, click the CPU tab.  Now you should have two windows open, one showing your GPU usage and the other showing your CPU usage.  Arrange the windows so you can see all of your CPU core graphs on the right side and at the same time see the GPU utilization.  Then, open P3D, make sure the framerate and VRAM usage are visible in the upper left in P3D, fly to where you have your stutters, make sure your P3D options do not have 'Pause on Task Switch' selected (so the sim keeps running when you change windows) and then use ALT-TAB to bring up the Resource Monitor and Task Manager - and take a screen capture with the sim running and Task Manager and Resource Monitor visible.  You'll have to use an external screen grabber.  Fortunately, there's one (actually two) built into Windows.  If you click your start menu and type the word 'snip' you'll see both Snipping Tool or Snip & Sketch - either of those will allow you to take a screenshot with a box draw tool that you can use to box your entire screen.  Save that to a site like imgur.com or your favorite image sharing tool and then post it here.  This should let us see where the stutters are coming from and what you might be able to do to stop them.  It sounds tedious, I know, but that data is the key to sorting stutters - in v4.5 and v5.

BGwrd1E.jpg

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

4 hours ago, DJJose said:

I'd be surprised if HF1 helps users like us with GTX 1070s. I have a feeling that we need at least a 1080ti. The sad part is that a used 1080ti or Pascal were affordable. The price for used ones have gone up. I've only been checking because XP11 also needs at least 11 gigs of vRAM to avoid blurry textures with Vulkan enabled.

My GTX 1070 seems to handle V5 just fine, certainly better than V4.5. :smile:

• Like 1

Bert

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

Theres no cash for a new GPU so where does that leave myself and others???

I just ran 60fps with my 1070GTX over Puerto Rico with ORBX NALC and it was beautiful. Terrain sliders full right looked like a live video. Of course when Active Sky and PMDG enters the picture we'll see.

Vic green

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

My GTX 1070 seems to handle V5 just fine, certainly better than V4.5. :smile:

That's great! Do you have FlyTampa KLAS or Latin VFR's KMIA where you can test with your current settings?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

That's great! Do you have FlyTampa KLAS or Latin VFR's KMIA where you can test with your current settings?

No, but I do have FlyTampa KTPA which I use all the time.

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

No, but I do have FlyTampa KTPA which I use all the time.

Not even close.

It's going to depend on the airport and the airplane. I know that based on my settings and the number of detailed airports that I have, I will need at least 11 and maybe more. I hope that LM can find a way around the vRAM, but they can't cover all the airports out there.

Edited by DJJose

34 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Not even close.

It's going to depend on the airport and the airplane. I know that based on my settings and the number of detailed airports that I have, I will need at least 11 and maybe more. I hope that LM can find a way around the vRAM, but they can't cover all the airports out there.

How do you know that without having tried it?

Bert

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

I`'ve tested FT KLAS with  a2a C172 and ORBX SOCAL as well as ai traffic from AIG AIM and my GPU takes 7.2 / 9.2 GB VRAM with moderate-high settings. So for a 8 GB card it will be critical at those destinations. But there is some hope because Windows  2004 will give us some VRAM back.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

How do you know that without having tried it?

A few users have done tests in those airports and they have had CTD's so I'm going to deduce that those airports could be problematic in v5 with my card. Let's hope the HF allows us some leeway.

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

A few users have done tests in those airports and they have had CTD's so I'm going to deduce that those airports could be problematic in v5 with my card. Let's hope the HF allows us some leeway.

Who knows, too early to tell, I would say..

All I know is that on my system KSEA out of the box crashes my system, but other areas that were taxing my system in V4.5., like Orbx SoCal, or KVUO near KPDX,  now run smoothly.. so for now I am using V4.5. for the Seattle area and V5 for other parts of the world.  Scenery is looking better than ever! :smile:

https://imgur.com/a/fl4DSus

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert