Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Microsoft's answer to ActiveSky

2 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well why would they not put their best foot forwards?

I would only say that the various leakers are unlikely to have a similar mandate to show the sim in only its best possible light, yet despite all the leaks so far, none have shown anything contradicting in any way the information/pictures/videos distributed to date by the developer.

That being the case, there appears to be no valid reason at this point to assume that what we are seeing is anything but what we will actually get.

Once I've seen my local airport modelled in MSFS (that's not interesting to anyone else but the few who happen to live close to it) and how MSFS has managed to capture its uniqueness you'll be the first person I'll apologise for my skepticism. 

23 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

I have to assume that in the Airports Discovery Series episode they were showing us the best they had since they weren't telling us otherwise.

That's likely true.

Plus many of the airports are not yet finished, and are still being worked on.  Just read the opening post in the "June 11th, 2020 Development Update" thread and you'll see that a bunch of airports were fixed/improved in the last Alpha,

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

16 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

Once I've seen my local airport modelled in MSFS (that's not interesting to anyone else but the few who happen to live close to it) and how MSFS has managed to capture its uniqueness you'll be the first person I'll apologise for my skepticism. 

5 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect it will be mostly those with a high interest and/or familiarity with a particular airport that will find major dissatisfaction.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect it will be mostly those with a high interest and/or familiarity with a particular airport that will find major dissatisfaction.

At least this time the Lego bricks are gonna be sitting on a nice ortho. I don't think the 3rd party airport addon designers are gonna run out of work any time soon....

Edited by Kopteeni

11 hours ago, devgrp said:

word not allowed didn't knew they closed it. I flew out of there a few times 

(Sorry...way off topic here) That airport is a big reason I’m a pilot today. I just stumbled upon it out driving around Charlotte one day. I watched a guy doing a few laps around the pattern and decided right then I wanted to give the whole pilot thing a try. I didn’t end up training there, but made sure I got a landing in before they shut it down.  Landing runway 35 was pretty sporty with a 50+ ft tree about 500 feet from the end of a displaced threshold.

But bringing it back to MSFS, it begs the question...if Bing maps are kept up to date in the sim, will closed airports eventually disappear from the sim?

Chris

7 hours ago, snglecoil said:

.if Bing maps are kept up to date in the sim, will closed airports eventually disappear from the sim?

Probably, but with significant delays unless someone intervenes manually when something drops out of the AIRAC data. We've been doing a lot of landscaping the last 5 years, plus changing the color of our roof, which means I can easily keep track of when the aerial map photo was taken. Currently the Bing pic of my house is 3 years old even though the copyright says 2020.

Google's is more current - theirs was taken last year, though their street view is ancient - more than 5 years old. And I'm sure there are areas where Bing is more current.

Edited by eslader
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I am not even sure that he reached the intellectual prowess to understand that boomers may not agree between each others 🤣.  

He has a point though.  Since most people are moving over to the alpha forum the people we have left here are mainly those with an agenda trying to prove why there p3d or xplane is better.

Meanwhile the visual quality of flight simulator is about ten years ahead of the competition, and yet its all about the clouds being to fluffy or the waves are too big. Its quite comical, and yet it's a constant rehashing of the same 2 or 3 points.

Asobo have been more transparent than LM and LR put together and are listening to the testers.  They have there own forums for beta feedback, not some guy on avsim that thinks the clouds are too transparent after hes watched a development video.

• Like 7

Most likely not. There's maintenance pretty much every week.

Edited by nxther
Mistake

3 hours ago, Theboot100 said:

Meanwhile the visual quality of flight simulator is about ten years ahead of the competition, and yet its all about the clouds being to fluffy or the waves are too big. Its quite comical, and yet it's a constant rehashing of the same 2 or 3 points.

Part of the problem is that MSFS is so close to perfect in so many places that any deviation stands out even more.

It's still a flight simulation though, with all that implies.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

22 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

What is your local airport? I'll check it out and compare it to Google maps 

• Upvote 1

Forget google maps - Bing maps is what MSFS 2020 will be using.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

8 hours ago, devgrp said:

What is your local airport? I'll check it out and compare it to Google maps 

Thanks, thats EFHK.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:01 AM, eslader said:

Well that's the problem, isn't it. Those games aren't realistic. It's easy (relatively) to make a mod for Minecraft because Minecraft users are cool with getting construction lumber by punching trees with bare fists. Give 'em an unobtanium pickaxe that never breaks and they're happy.

Try convincing someone used to flying PMDG planes that a freeware 747 is every bit as good, realistic, and complete and they'll laugh you out of the room. It's quite a bit more involved to make an addon airplane that flies realistically, has realistic systems, look good, etc than it is to make a Minecraft mod, or even a GTA mod.

Every great once in awhile a freeware modder comes along who's willing to put in the scores of hours that would be required to develop a high-end payware-quality addon, but even when that happens the dev houses who have multiple employees are leaving him in the dust. I remember Alejandro Rojas' Citation X that I used to fly before I switched away from FSX. That was a bloody good free/shareware aircraft. Really great. But compared to Carenado the textures were clunky, and compared to PMDG, Leonardo, Flysimware stuff the plane itself was subpar. Now, it cost between $50 and $150 less than those other guys, which made it a much better bargain, but no one, most likely including the dev himself, would try to convince anyone that the CitX was the equal of a high quality payware plane.

Freeware can be just as good as payware. It’s all about talent and willingness to put in the time.

Your comments are interesting in theory, but there is one word the proves your assertion incorrect: “Zibo”.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."