Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

MSFS available for preorders. Releasing August 18th!

A typical boonies airport in ESP is a runway and nothing else.  A typical boonies airport in MSFS has a lot more.

The closest I came to seeing a typical ESP airport in MSFS was when I needed to land at 9AK3 in Alaska and there wasn't an airport there, but there was a flat spot where the runway should be.  It looked very much like it does in Google Earth.

@FS Captain Joe are you OK with me saying this?

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Your first sentence is subjective. Others may be quite happy with them as I was when flying to many default airports in P3Dv4

It is not subjective Ray to say that the ESP airports are inaccurate. I’ve been correcting airfields for years with ADE as I hate when roads or rivers cross the runway or even the perimeter . The last one I did was in Central America cutting a hill in half instead of gently  laying South of it !  All the ones I did were off some tens sometimes hundreds of meters. I think that the lat and long coordinates in the FSX database were rounded to an inappropriate decimal.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

And how will this impact us?

Microsoft have officially announced the xCloud launch. The Google Stadia rival game streaming service goes live in September.

As part of a big update on the future of gaming, Microsoft gave further details on the Xbox Series X and xCloud. In September, the xCloud service will go live for current Game Pass Ultimate subscribers ($15 per month) and give them access to over 100 Game Pass titles across devices.

Xbox Series X is designed to deliver a new level of fidelity, feel, performance and precision never seen before in console gaming. All games will look and play best on Xbox Series X – whether they come from our 15 Xbox Game Studios, like Halo Infinite, or from our world-class publisher and developer partners. Packing over 12 teraflops of GPU power including new technologies like hardware-accelerated Direct X raytracing and variable rate shading, and with four times the processing power of an Xbox One X, Xbox Series X enables developers to provide you with transformative gaming experiences through richer, more dynamic living worlds, more realistic AI and animations, and support for higher frame rates including support for up to 120 FPS.

Xbox Series X also enables you to spend less time waiting and more time playing, as it virtually eliminates load times with the 40x boost in I/O throughput from last generation. With our custom next-generation SSD and Xbox Velocity Architecture, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash, and fast travel is just that – fast. The Xbox Velocity Architecture also powers new platform capabilities like Quick Resume, which enables you to seamlessly switch between multiple titles and resume instantly from where you last left off without waiting through long loading screens. Right now, Xbox Series X is in the hands of our 15 Xbox Game Studios teams and thousands of third-party developers, empowering them to create a new generation of blockbuster games for you to enjoy.

Google Stadia has had criticism for its lack of games but that has been changing and bigger names and titles are on their way soon. The other major complaint from Stadia users is the lack of players online. This will not be a problem for xCloud gamers as the games run on Xbox servers just like the hardware consoles so there are millions of players worldwide to game against.

We hope you’ll join us next Thursday, July 23rd for the Xbox Games Showcase for the first look at the Halo Infinite Campaign and more.

Thanks so much for shaping the future of gaming.

-Phil

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

It is not subjective Ray to say that the ESP airports are inaccurate.

No but he also said they're awful. It was that I was referring to.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No but he also said they're awful. It was that I was referring to.

We may not use the same airports but I do not think it is subjective to say that these thousands of one-texture flat rectangles stuck on the terrain with a generic runway and , if we are lucky, a generic building/tower are awful. They are awful beside being inaccurate 😄

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Dominique_K said:

We may not use the same airports but I do not think it is subjective to say that these thousands of one-texture flat rectangles stuck on the terrain with a generic runway and , if we are lucky, a generic building/tower are awful. They are awful beside being inaccurate 😄

By definition it is a subjective opinion, not an objective one. Someone else may like them however bad you think they are.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, LHookins said:

A typical boonies airport in ESP is a runway and nothing else.  A typical boonies airport in MSFS has a lot more.

The closest I came to seeing a typical ESP airport in MSFS was when I needed to land at 9AK3 in Alaska and there wasn't an airport there, but there was a flat spot where the runway should be.  It looked very much like it does in Google Earth.

@FS Captain Joe are you OK with me saying this?

Hook

I saw someone referring to the MSFS default airports as similar to the ORBX-enhanced airports like in FTX Germany or GB (which are based on default ORBX library buildings) and I'd say this hits the nail quite well. I'd refer to the Airport Discovery Series (#6) which shows several smaller airports. They sport many more elements, including moving ones, and that's exactly the meaning of "detailed". But no one from the official sources ever claimed to have collected complete series of photos from 37,000 tiny airfields round the world, so they must have resorted to generic buildings.

Even then, I am already happy to get rid of the ugly P3D default hangars which I have to use right now until REX comes with the REX Worldwide Airports package for P3D5. I landed in default Lausanne / Switzerland in P3D5 yesterday and these P3D default airport buildings look really bad. I didn't recall them anymore as I always was using the Zinertek or REX textures during P3D4 which already provide quite an enhancement.

And if you take default XP, you have quite a number of smaller airports where there's really only a runway and nothing more, sometimes not even a taxiway to leave it.

Finally, to temper false expectations: Would you expect the 37,000 airports to be error-free? While all of them were checked, part of them even by the Alpha team, this frankly isn't impossible. There will be errors - make the developers aware of them and I am sure they will eliminate them.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 6

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

I saw someone referring to the MSFS default airports as similar to the ORBX-enhanced airports like in FTX Germany or GB (which are based on default ORBX library buildings) and I'd say this hits the nail quite well.

I suspect this is pretty close.

6 minutes ago, pmb said:

ugly P3D default hangars

Hey!  I *like* the ugly P3D default hangars!  They look like the ones at my local airport. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Hey!  I *like* the ugly P3D default hangars!  They look like the ones at my local airport. 😄

Perhaps they made them out of photos taken there.😁

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

29 minutes ago, pmb said:

Finally, to temper false expectations: Would you expect the 37,000 airports to be error-free? While all of them were checked, part of them even by the Alpha team, this frankly isn't impossible. There will be errors - make the developers aware of them and I am sure they will eliminate them.

Kind regards, Michael

I can accept a lot of inaccuracies but I am really fed up with the misplacement of runways which is a structural feature of the ESP database. Imagery has some drawback (no season for one) but should eliminate it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

I am afraid that there are certain inaccuracies what will not be eliminated, so, you will just have to accept, or move on to something better.

I'm sure you are aware that if MSFS has gone to Beta,,the sim data is fixed, no further changes can take place.

Also,  What is an ESP database?

All I can find on the net is that it's a database, similar to a CRM & is a platform that helps your business communicate more effectively with your clients, for email campaigns.  It's also known as the Exome Sequencing Project (ESP), It's also the name of a 'C' language web framework.

It's also the name of a platform that gives access to hundreds of thousands of promotional producs & gives access tools to connect to supplier partners. Oh, it's also part of a program used to create chemistry models. So far, nothing obout ESP databases on the net refers to what you are talking about.

Dom, what ARE you actually talking about? Is this yet another of your made up names?

You not trolling? Seems like it. (all these fictitious made up names that you have 'invented')

'Shrug!" 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

15 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

I am afraid that there are certain inaccuracies what will not be eliminated, so, you will just have to accept, or move on to something better.

There is something better available ? 😃

16 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The Holy Grail, & that still has not been found!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

26 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

User edited airports 😉

41 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

.. no further changes can take place.

See above?? Obviously i know what you mean - no changes from the developers :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

Dom, what ARE you actually talking about? Is this yet another of your made up names?

ESP is the engine Microsoft/ACES used in the earlier sims (Enterprise Simulation Platform). It's what FSX and still P3D run on (not sure about FS9 and earlier versions)... and in it is the issue he is talking about.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD