Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

We need some more clarity here

4 hours ago, hangar said:

- Don't appreciate the shopping experience on offer (since i dont own an xbox and there's no clear indication of which platform I'd be pre-purchasing for).

It clearly says "AUGUST 18 FOR PC" Considering the new xbox doesn't come out for several more months its safe to say this is the PC version. You also get 5 or 10 more aircraft depending on the version.

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

If they think that pre-ordering will give them a little assurance that the market is really there, I'm going to buy it anyway, so I have no problem with pre-ordering. It's kind of exciting to know it's that close to release.

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree with you Robert. Although Microsoft has many faults, I trust them with my pre-purchase money. I don't believe for a second that they will scam me out of my money. That said, I don't normally pre-order anything unless it has a bonus that I'm interested in. MS2020 has been the exception to that rule for the first time in years. "Shut up and take my money" 😄

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Whilst I trust Microsoft with regard to pre-purchase money, I am having trouble with the permissions of the app:

"Access all your files, peripheral devices, apps, programs, and registry: The app has the ability to read or write to all your files (including documents, pictures, and music) and registry settings, which allows the app to make changes to your computer and settings. It can use any peripheral devices that are either attached or part of your device (such as cameras, microphones, or printers) without notifying you. It also has access to your location, and can use platform features, such as  location history, app diagnostics, and more, which are denied to most Store apps. You can't control most of the permissions for this app in Settings > Privacy. Note that while the app has the ability to access these resources, it might not actually do so. For more info about what the app collects or uses, review the privacy policy of the developer.

Account Info: Access any of your account info.

Allow elevation: Allows the app to run with administrator privileges without prompting the user first.

App diagnostics: Get diagnostic information about other running apps.

Bluetooth: Activate and use any Bluetooth connections between your device and other devices.

Calendar: Access your calendars.

Call history: Access history of phone calls you made on the device, in Skype or other telephony apps.

Contacts: Access your contacts, people, or address book apps.

Custom install actions: Install additional software.

Email: Access your email and account info for your email accounts.

Facial recognition: Activate and use any facial recognition hardware.

File system: Access the files and folders to which you have access and read or write to all your files (including documents, pictures, and music).

Fingerprint reader: Activate and use any fingerprint reader hardware.

Local system services: Install a service on the machine that runs with maximum privileges. 

Location: Activate and use the GPS or other location-finding features on your device. Access location data in Maps and other location apps.

Messaging: Access your instant messages and account info.

Microphone: Activate and use the microphone on your device. 

Modifiable app: Enable the user to modify the app.

Motion: Activate and use the accelerometer or other motion-sensing feature on your device. 

Music library: Access any music files from the Music library on your device.

Near field communications: Activate and use any near field communications (NFC) connections between your device and other devices.

Notifications: Access your notifications, found in action center.

Packaged services: Install a service on the machine.

Package write redirect compatability shim: Allows the app to create, modify or delete files in the app’s install folder.

Pictures library: Access any picture files from the Pictures library on your device.

Tasks: Access your task list in Outlook and other task-tracking apps.

Unvirtualized resources: Write registry entries and files that are not cleaned up on uninstall.

Video library: Access any video files from the Video library on your device.

Voice recognition: Activate and use any voice recognition hardware.

Webcam: Activate and use the camera on your device. 

WiFi: Activate and use WiFi connections between your device, the internet, and other devices.

Wired connections: Activate and use any wired connections, including Ethernet, USB, and Serial communications between your device, the internet, and other devices."

Most of this has nothing to do with using the simulator itself.

Murray Dreyer

"In App Purchases" just means there's a framework to buy stuff in the sim.  In the case of MSFS, I'm going to guess that the option will exist for third party add-on makers to sell their stuff here if they want.  Asobo themselves may also sell add-on content to continue funding development.

As for pre-orders, the big benefit is the ability to pre-load the sim before release (if they are allowing it).  This essentially lets you pre-download all of the files for the sim before the release day, then "unlocks" them the moment the sim goes live on release day.  So you're not sitting there on August 18th, waiting for 100+GB of files to download.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mdreyer said:

I am having trouble with the permissions of the app:

Microsoft were perhaps being too honest (and off-putting) by giving that list.  They could have just said:

5 hours ago, mdreyer said:

Allow elevation: Allows the app to run with administrator privileges without prompting the user first.

which gives the program the rights to do just about anything anyway, without telling you about it.  There's at least one add-on for P3D that has the same requirement.

was almost clicking pre-order for the gold version but then stopped myself, primarily because

I am curious to see first the DLC pricing for individual items. the preconfigured editions are nice but like @hangar I may get away little cheaper with the standard version and 4-5 single planes and airports I am truly interested in.

I'll be on vacation on Aug 18 for still another 10 days. too bad. maybe I should get a decent gaming laptop to take with me to France :-). Though my family would kill me I guess. 

But in the end I am sure to get the gold edition anyway, like with any other flight sim franchise before,..

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

8 hours ago, mdreyer said:

Calendar: Access your calendars.

Call history: Access history of phone calls you made on the device, in Skype or other telephony apps.

Contacts: Access your contacts, people, or address book apps.

Email: Access your email and account info for your email accounts.

Facial recognition: Activate and use any facial recognition hardware.

Fingerprint reader: Activate and use any fingerprint reader hardware.

Messaging: Access your instant messages and account info.

Music library: Access any music files from the Music library on your device.

Notifications: Access your notifications, found in action center.

Tasks: Access your task list in Outlook and other task-tracking apps.

Voice recognition: Activate and use any voice recognition hardware.

Webcam: Activate and use the camera on your device. 

Most of this has nothing to do with using the simulator itself.

Edited list from the original post - most of these indeed have nothing to do with the simulator (or ought to have nothing to do with it). Much as we all love Asobo, I'm not sure I want them to be running facial recognition over my webcam...🤨

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

Many people are concerned about the ordering, privacy, etc.,,

i think Asobo and MS ( I believe they check the forums) should clarify most of the concerns/issues raised by the people here.

1 hour ago, DAD said:

I am curious to see first the DLC pricing for individual items. the preconfigured editions are nice but like @hangar I may get away little cheaper with the standard version and 4-5 single planes and airports I am truly interested in.

That's an excellent point I hadn't considered, I'm holding off on my pre-order now!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm holding of for the streaming version that Asobo talked about in the XO19 interview, this is the download version, and wasn't this the sim that was going to kill off the addon industry as was reported on this forum. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, reignman40 said:

It clearly says "AUGUST 18 FOR PC" Considering the new xbox doesn't come out for several more months its safe to say this is the PC version. You also get 5 or 10 more aircraft depending on the version.

While you are correct, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning the new Xbox. While it will be out for the new Xbox, the official line is it's coming out for the Xbox One (current Xbox) so it's irrelevant to when the new Xbox is out. That said, it's clear you are purchasing the Windows 10 version. 

20 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

I'm holding of for the streaming version that Asobo talked about in the XO19 interview, this is the download version, and wasn't this the sim that was going to kill off the addon industry as was reported on this forum. 

It's the same thing. The download will be the base sim - the streaming will be the bells and whistles scenery detail. Remember what was talked about?; Offline/ Online Low and Online High Res rendering of scenery.

And I have to agree with you on your second point.

What's happened to all that jubilations and celebration that we wouldn't need addons for scenery ever again?

It appears to have evaporated in new adoration for Orbx chiming in that they're involved.

22 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Are you totally confused on the subject. You keep saying things that aren't true. There is only one version (be it 3 types of that version for more content). You buy the game, install it then decide if you want to stream the scenary or have it so its like an offline mode with the 'basic' scenary. There is no two versions like you are saying. 

• Like 3

Don't expect a perfect sim on the release date. I'm sure it will be a work in progress. That's the definition of "beta" IMO.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.