Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Too Complicated For Old Men

I have just discovered that the "Flight Conditions" button in the World setup a flight does not work. I am following  Squirell's video and can't get into that window as my Flight Conditions button does nothing.

its not complicated its just new. actually starting a flight in FS2020 is way easier than in FSX/P3D. And flying online with a friend is just one click away.

Forget everything about FSX/P3D and learn new. It will take not months, nor weeks - just a couple of days and you will get used to it. 

Also there are probably by now hundreds if not thousands tutorial videos out.

Lukas Dalton

11 minutes ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

I have just discovered that the "Flight Conditions" button in the World setup a flight does not work. I am following  Squirell's video and can't get into that window as my Flight Conditions button does nothing.

its blocked if you have set it to "live". 

Lukas Dalton

I really like the sim, but I'm not a fan of the UI.. I prefer the quick and no-nonsense UIs for P3D and X-Plane. It seems much harder and slower to do anything in the UI, from setting up controllers to actually just choosing an airport/aircraft and to get going.

But if newcomers like it and it's accessible, who am I to complain 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

...This new MSFS is way too complicated for us old guys. It has been developed by the best Game devs in the world, and it shows. It installs and operates like a game.  After messing around with it all day, I have it flying, but have not been able to hook up with my friends on line, even though it says we are connected, etc. The scenery is very good, but getting there has been a chore and I am not done yet. I am sur  that my Great Grand Children could get it going in a snap because they have grown up with games, ...

Hi, I see your point. I think there are two topics. One is the UI, which is just "new" and I am sure you will get used to it as everything is still there and reachable with a few clicks once you know how. Then it is even easier and faster to set up a flight in my opinion and I love it the way it is. Every thing is fast and can be reached from one main window.

The other topics are the install and the control setup. Being 43, and having experience in gaming since I was 8 or 9 (so even longer than simming), trust me, it does not install or behave like a game; games are FAR more plug and play today. You pay via steam, you click install, and then click play. That´s it. Everything is configured per default and you could just start gaming today for most games. 

MFS and the MS Store, however, are overly complicated and full of issues (for some at least) regarding installation. It takes ages, lots can go wrong and the support loves to suggest to reinstall Windows. Sure, because of one failed installation of one program, you want me to nuke my entire OS... 

And the control setup at the moment is a) way to complicated to set up and b) bugged as it does not map the controls automatically for lots of people and the manual way is absolutely painful to do.... and still does not really work in a lot cases.  

So my point is, once you managed the install, take your time and you will figure out the menus before you know it. And I am sure regarding controls and camera systems, even your grand children would have their difficulties as it is just an overly complicated design, which has not a lot to do with gaming. I hope they will improve on this in the future.

Receiving my boxed addition tomorrow hopefully. Reading all the above it seems we might need a special forum for over 70's!!  I'm 77, ex aviator (general aviation), and have over 1500 hours logged on xplane. My only observation from experience for us old timers is not to panic. It will almost certainly fall into place after a short time. Not as fast as for your Grandchildren but most certainly we'll get there. I'm also Irish and fond of a little tipple of brown milk around 6.00pm. I find this can also calm the nerves!  Best of luck and look forward to following all your tips and recommendations.

Cheers (Slanter)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

I am a 76 year old codger and would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know the size of the *installed* premium deluxe edition.  My install seems to be 96.1 GB, and I believe this to be the *basic* install. It is apparent that I am unable to "overstall" [is that a word :)] the deluxe or premium edition.  Thanks.

M.

I believe your 96.1 GB install is the premium deluxe.  When I first installed just the basic edition, it was 91 GB.  When I updated to Premium Deluxe, the download was a 4-5 GB download, which puts it right at your 96 GB size 🙂

MrStarhouse - I watched the video but did not see anything about using the hat switch. He covered everything but that, unless I somehow missed it. 

3 hours ago, Paladin said:

I am a 76 year old codger and would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know the size of the *installed* premium deluxe edition.  My install seems to be 96.1 GB, and I believe this to be the *basic* install. It is apparent that I am unable to "overstall" [is that a word :)] the deluxe or premium edition.  Thanks.

M.

I am an even older codger and have the premium deluxe. 96.1 GB is correct.

19 hours ago, PlumCrazy said:

I believe your 96.1 GB install is the premium deluxe.  When I first installed just the basic edition, it was 91 GB.  When I updated to Premium Deluxe, the download was a 4-5 GB download, which puts it right at your 96 GB size 🙂

Thanks kindly for your most welcome response, I did redownload with the same result..  Regards.

• Like 1

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

18 hours ago, cobalt said:

I am an even older codger and have the premium deluxe. 96.1 GB is correct.

Thanks kindly for your most welcome response, I did redownload with the same result..  Regards.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

I'm 73 and I love the complexities of Flight Simming. I've been a big computer nerd ever since I got my first computer which I had to first assemble myself (Sinclair ZX81).

It's always a challenge to learn any new software, especially when there are many bugs to squash, but I enjoy the journey.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

On 8/19/2020 at 3:38 AM, Air1 said:

But I don't do airliners.

A man after my own heart. 👍

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:33 AM, DaWu said:

Forget everything about FSX/P3D and learn new

So true. But the FSX/P3d is deeply ingrained, it'll be like going cold turkey for many. They will break out in a sweat, scream and pull their hair although eventually they will kick the habit of a lifetime.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.