Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Too Complicated For Old Men

13 hours ago, Heavy Metal said:

... and maybe to add: if you buy through MS directly, you support Asobo / MS a bit more as they do not need to share the funds with Steam, and in case of problems, one less layer in regards of support responsibilities.. 

This is a good point I think I will go with MS , as you said, one less layer!

On 8/31/2020 at 4:25 PM, Chock said:

Actually there seem to be more issues with the Steam version than the MS Store version at the moment. Might just be initial teething troubles, nevertheless, even though I have (literally) hundreds of games on Steam, I went with the MS Store version for Flight Simulator and I've not had cause to regret that decision so far.

Thanks for the input, will be a few months before I get the game but I will go with the MS option!

Now I know where all the old pilots go! I'm 75 and started on a Commodore 64. Had to leave aviation a couple years ago due to age related vision loss (my decision). I think my 30 years as a pilot kinda spoiled my interest in sims. Last MS version I had was 2004. I took a fling at this one after all the hype. Thought it was going to be a waste of money. Lo-and-behold, after several excruciating days of getting it up and running and getting my peripherals to work (Squirrel recommendations on YouTube are worthy), I am finding this one to be quite engaging, despite it's many issues at this early stage. I was able to set up flights out of the same airport I've been building and flying out of for the past 10 years. I flew mostly low n-slow taildraggers, so I used a Cub in the sim setup. The advances made in terrain and ground mapping resulted in a sim experience I hadn't expected. The representation of my old airport and the surrounding terrain was so accurate I was blown away. Even the lighting and atmosphere were stunningly real. In my mind - I was there! Yes, issues abound. Perhaps the biggest for me was that the present flight models leave much to be desired. If you've been out of the game for a while I think it helps to stay with the less complex aircraft. Deal more with flying than with button pushing. It's a lot easier on an aging brain too! For me - peripherals are key. Not the complexity of a HOTAS - just a good quality joystick with an integrated throttle (I'm currently using a VKB Sims Gladiator with Hall-effect sensors and lots of buttons), a set of rudder pedals, and I can't recommend this enough, if you don't have one - a head tracking device (I highly recommend Trak IR). This setup lets me get back into the cockpit in a very satisfying way. Of course, if you have been a pilot you will always miss the feedback you got from the seat of your pants and the resistance of the air to your control inputs, but the new scenery technology helps make up for that. It's a big sandbox with lots to learn. And at my age it's a lot more fun than learning a new language just to keep my engrams functioning. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

On 8/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, Stratocruiser1 said:

I am speaking for myself. I didn't say it's a game, I said it operates like a game, I think. Gamers designed it, and MS is trying to attract the gaming market buyers. I understand this. Have you or do you use any games and/or a gaming controller? I think that people who are used to playing games will adapt much more quickly to this sim than others. Case in point to me is the camera/view usage. With FSX and P3D I can use the S and A keys to change cycle through my views and use the hat switch on my yoke to pan around in any of those views. In this sim, so far for me, I can't find a way to do this. You need to use both hands on the keyboard to get to some of the views with this sim, unless I am missing something. Anyhow, I am glad you have mastered it in such a short time. Maybe I will too down the line. 

LOL, I'm young at 67. It seems that this game/sim/thing is also too complicated for the youngsters as well, by the amount of moans & groans I've seen.

Anyway, I've tried them all, always ending up with FS2004, because that S & A switching drives be demented, trying to remember which mode I'm in.

Also, I really prefer the Low's 'n Slow's. I'm not a Boeing or Bus driver.. That's boring stuff for me.But- to each their own.

Have fun, we are all in search of our Holy Grail in Simming.. Once the 'newer' sims have the scenery & planes that tickles my fancy, I'll probably change.

Remember, as the late Garry Smith, a VERY prolific scenery & texture designer used to say.. Simming is all about Facts, Fun & Fiction! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On 8/19/2020 at 12:25 AM, Stratocruiser1 said:

No Simulator For Old Men

Is the sequel directed by the Coen brothers? 

Edited by gb09f

Ha! Truth-be-known, when flying in this sim I don’t carry the anxiety I always had when flying around in an aircraft I built from a set of plans in my garage!

• Like 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

Ha another 75 year old here and I have flown every sim 2004 or FS9, FSX,

X-Plane 9 ,10 and 11, P3DV 2 , 4 and now 5 and MFS2020 

just a learning curve and a lot of patience I even have a friend who is 86 and he cam fly it with the latest Honeycomb yoke and throttle quadrant. 
Just take your time and learn one aircraft at a time . TMB is a good one to start with. Yep it’s a totally different sim but a good one ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:25 PM, Stratocruiser1 said:

I am sur  that my Great Grand Children could get it going in a snap because they have grown up with games, but I may not live long enough to master this one. 

After the first day or two I thought as you -- how can anyone use this software?? ...but it didn't take very long for me to set it up the way I wanted.

I do agree that some of the screens (like the controller screens) are a little -- odd -- takes a little getting used to.  And surely they can think up a lighter-weight aircraft selection screen.

As @Bill Griffith I now have my views set up pretty much like I do with ChasePlane, or almost as nice.  It's not quite up to ChasePlane's level.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ya I find this sim rather easy and am retired lol.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:25 PM, Stratocruiser1 said:

I have bought every MS Flight Sim through the years starting with the Sub Logic one way back when up to and including FSX, then even P3D. So I am what would be called an old hand at this, maybe. But, I have no experience with any Game  and have never even held a game controller. This new MSFS is way too complicated for us old guys. It has been developed by the best Game devs in the world, and it shows. It installs and operates like a game.  After messing around with it all day, I have it flying, but have not been able to hook up with my friends on line, even though it says we are connected, etc. The scenery is very good, but getting there has been a chore and I am not done yet. I am sur  that my Great Grand Children could get it going in a snap because they have grown up with games, but I may not live long enough to master this one. It would have been nice if there were some instructions to guide us. I am sure that in time it will become second nature to most people, but MS sure left s old timers behind with this launch. 

Just about everything you are going through, all of us went through too when first using MSFS. That is if you are used to other sims. Brand new people to flight simulation wouldn't know any difference but even they would have to learn how it works, where all the options are, etc... And in the case of MSFS you have the Xbox app, the MS Store ( even if bought on Steam ), being online all the time, etc... I have had it since launch and I felt the exact same way at first. It just takes awhile to get used too, and flying online is awesome, but can have some issues at times, but you'll figure it out. 

I have actually enjoyed learning it all. And seeing something different. And the UI is what it is, and sure they can tweak it, but remember PC and Xbox were considered from the start. Whatever they decided on ( whether you like it or not ), had to work on both systems with PC controllers and such and Xbox controllers and such, meaning a bunch of peripherals for both, as well as the standard Xbox controller.

Hang in there, I think you will actually enjoy after the initial learning curve, or I hope you do! I also don't think it has anything to do with age. Whatever age, we get used to stuff, and it just takes us longer to move on. Not an age thing, more than being stubborn 🙂

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

17 minutes ago, in2tech said:

..., meaning a bunch of peripherals for both, as well as the standard Xbox controller.

Actually, the Series S|X both support keyboard and mouse which will make MSFS a lot easier to navigate. I'm looking forward to setting headings and altitudes with a mouse instead of an Xbox controller which would be a nightmare.

Mike Beckwith

Dag nab it! My mouse won't grab the props give 'em a spin! oji.gif

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

There is a lot to learn. It can’t be consumed in a day, week or even a month. You just dive in and take it a day at a time. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

We never needed known of this fancy GPS stuff when I was a young whippersnapper. Nor did we need all this fancy go-fast stuff either, two sets of wings and  a prayer, that was good enough to get you home, or if you did end up somewhere else by mistake, that just made the trip more interesting.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Highmike said:

Actually, the Series S|X both support keyboard and mouse which will make MSFS a lot easier to navigate. I'm looking forward to setting headings and altitudes with a mouse instead of an Xbox controller which would be a nightmare.

Yeah, that's what I meant by, a bunch of peripherals, all that stuff and maybe more? Who knows at this point!

Do you have an Xbox S or X? I don't but am excited to see what people think that do, and welcome that crowd to flight simulation.

Sorry for the off topic stuff. I'll stop now! I wish the OP all the luck with figuring out MSFS. He will get it eventually, and I am sure have FUN! Or I hope he does.

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Some folks make it sound as if they would be more comfortable and more at home piloting an ornithopter, perhaps, even, one created by LDV himself. In fact, some almost make it sound as though they may even have been his contemporaries lol. I almost next expect to hear some say: "Hmm, what's with all these newfangled switchie thingies & all these buttons & gauges, and what's with all those newfangled television set contraptions in the panel there".

The calendar waits for none of us, and we all look forward to each passing day's new and exciting adventures & experiences, but some almost seem to beckon its perceived increasing haste with a puzzling, enthusiastically robust gusto lol. There is no reason to wave the white flag at the calendar with such vigor.

"Too complicated for old men"? You will never hear me saying that... regardless of how complicated or not an element of MSFS may or may not be [to me], now, later, or no matter how ancient I become (not a distant process for me ;;) )... here, or "in a galaxy far, far away".

"Too complicated for old men"?! Nope, no waiving the white flag here. 😉😎👍🍺☮️

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 2

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro