Sign in to follow this  
hanhamreds

RTX 3090 owners - worth it?

I've been reading that Big Navi looks like it will give nvidia a run for its money this go round. Price point is one thing but the on board ram looks to be 12 to 16gb for them. 

Only time will tell once AMD unveils them. If I were to get an nvidia it will be the 3070, but it all depends on what I see from AMD. Might be time to switch up.

• Like 1

AMD may have the same problem getting your hands on the product, nearly all major launches have had an availability problems this year , and reports are the new game consoles could have the same problem.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, G-RFRY said:

AMD may have the same problem getting your hands on the product, nearly all major launches have had an availability problems this year , and reports are the new game consoles could have the same problem.

AMD basically said there would not be a problem in a tweet last week. Guy was saying he bet 10 bucks AMD would have the same problem and AMD respond with 'Ill take that 10 bucks'

1 minute ago, Lotharen said:

AMD basically said there would not be a problem in a tweet last week. Guy was saying he bet 10 bucks AMD would have the same problem and AMD respond with 'Ill take that 10 bucks'

Better than the last CPU launch no stock on the shelf long after launch, i would get your pre-order in as soon as they launch.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

The AMD cards sound promising, but it may take a while to get properly working drivers. There has been some history of very good AMD cards being handicapped by driver issues.

John B

43 minutes ago, Sphynnx said:

Do you think that Big Navi can offer better performance than 3090 ?

I hope so

No, the rumours are that it might come somewhere close to a 3080 but a bit cheaper.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

2 hours ago, zemez said:

Well, internet are full of reviews and stuff. I think reviewers tells it better than me.

That’s not a lazy response at all. Especially considering the fact that they don’t really shed light on where and what weather the tests were run.

you on the other hand have first hand experience with the 3090. You can give a much wider array of objective experiences Thant one graph can show.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

8 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

That’s not a lazy response at all. Especially considering the fact that they don’t really shed light on where and what weather the tests were run.

you on the other hand have first hand experience with the 3090. You can give a much wider array of objective experiences Thant one graph can show.

Yeah, he should do whatever you want. What on Earth makes him think he can snooze to not jump at your bidding?

Hey, Zemez, The King of the Forum issued a command!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OHN767 said:

I couldnt care less about how many fps it gives extra, its way too expensive to buy for a game. Doesnt really matter if you have 35 fps or 60 fps in flightsimulator, if you dont use a fps counter you wont notice.

Also consider watts requirement, heat / noise generated and format (size) not to mention cost.

As mentioned earlier this card was designed for scientific engineering and not gaming.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

7 minutes ago, Dharma66 said:

Yeah, he should do whatever you want. What on Earth makes him think he can snooze to not jump at your bidding?

Hey, Zemez, The King of the Forum issued a command!

Then why in the world did he come into this thread and give a response that literally has zero context???? Just to hear himself talk?

and before you argue that his response to the OPs question actually is worth anything....consider if one would be able to use his response to help one make an informed decision to buy the 3090 for a flight simulation PC. You and both know the answer to that...

just because someone types something into a forum doesn’t mean it has any value. 
Yes, I do hold myself accountable to the above statement. Which is why I personally do my best to make sure that if I’m going to respond to a question or enlighten others based off my experiences with hardware or software, it’s going to be quantitative in nature. Not just some....lazy...go check the reviews out. If that’s how he really felt. Then once again, why did he even bother responding? 

this kind of word not allowed runs rampant on a sim and tech forums....

forgive me for actually pressing someone to give a valid response to a pretty darn simple and question.

Also, you are absolutely right to say that he doesn’t have to get off his word not allowed and give me some tailored response about his experience with the card. At the end of the day though, I might be considered “rude” however his post and the two others with the 3090 will be utterly useless and have once again, misses the make of actually adding substance to this thread and this forum. All this considering that very very very few people have the 3090. 

cut the self righteous attitude out as well. No one needs your help in these forums for back up. 

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

34 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Then why in the world did he come into this thread and give a response that literally has zero context???? Just to hear himself talk?

this kind of word not allowed runs rampant on a sim and tech forums....

forgive me for actually pressing someone to give a valid response to a pretty darn simple and question.

Also, you are absolutely right to say that he doesn’t have to get off his word not allowed and give me some tailored response about his experience with the card. At the end of the day though, I might be considered “rude” however his post and the two others with the 3090 will be utterly useless and have once again, misses the make of actually adding substance to this thread and this forum. All this considering that very very very few people have the 3090. 

Sure, attack me if you want, but I answered to op. Original question were is it worth it, and I golf him that no, it isnt worth it but still the best card. 

What should I do for you? Do I have to run benchmarks or what? Everybody knows, that msfs is heavily main thread limited. That means, before dx12, this kind of GPU isnt worth anything over 2080, but still I love my 3090.

English isnt my native language, so it is not easy for me to write detailed info.  I still think that you see better info about performance from reviews. I am speechless from your words. And Im really going to think before writing anything here again.

Edited by zemez

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

36 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Also consider watts requirement, heat / noise generated and format (size) not to mention cost.

As mentioned earlier this card was designed for scientific engineering and not gaming.

Cheers

bs

Actually, my TUF OC-version is very quiet, and it is always below 70 degrees. Mostly about 66-68. Not bad at all.

Edited by zemez

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

4 hours ago, OHN767 said:

I couldnt care less about how many fps it gives extra, its way too expensive to buy for a game. Doesnt really matter if you have 35 fps or 60 fps in flightsimulator, if you dont use a fps counter you wont notice.

That’s not true at all, flight simulators actually benefit greatly from high, stable frame rates. Flying is meant to be smooth!

Also, good luck running VR at 35 FPS, you actually want about 3 times that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

That’s not true at all, flight simulators actually benefit greatly from high, stable frame rates. Flying is meant to be smooth!

Also, good luck running VR at 35 FPS, you actually want about 3 times that.

The serious simmer wants nothing more than 12 fps. 12.0001 fps you are a gamer not a simmer.

/sarcasm off

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zicheng Cai

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

It’s advertised as the ultimate gamers card...... 24GB VRAM is ideal for MSFS, especially for 4K. 10Gb doesn’t cut it. 
And *if* they release 3080 20GB, then it will only be a few pennies cheaper than the 3090, which will make the 10-15% performance increase worth the extra cost for the 3090. 

And what’s with all the ‘expensive’ comments? What is expensive to one isn’t to another. And it’s not that much different to what a 2080ti used to be, and plenty people have those cards. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Upvote 1