Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

NIght lighting is fatal- Asobo please read

57 minutes ago, andrecarli737 said:

But that after picture is just how it looks irl.

No it doesn't look like that, the 1st picture is more representative of how it looks realistically. Can't believe some of these people think that overexposed lights everywhere looks realistic. Seriously? And that picture of Cape Town as night looks nothing like real life either. Way too overexposed. Sigh. Seems like people here cannot agree on anything. If I were Asobo I'd be seriously frustrated with this whole night lighting issue. That looks more like a photo you would see shot by a professional photographer that was going on a postcard or something. They intentionally overexpose the lights to bring more attention and make it more dramatic, but that does not reflect how night lighting sitting on a plane looks from the real world. I question, have some of you even sat on a plane at night looking out the window while traveling? Especially during descent into different types of areas from urban to rural to see how the lighting really looks like?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, Riaan77077 said:

Herewith before the update and after the update screenshots of the same scene in Cape Town at night. The before the update night lighting was definitely more subtle in residential areas which is now overpowered by many white lights which in my view detracts from the overall immersive feeling in the sim. The after update night lighting almost gives the impression of a Christmas tree with all its white lights and no soft lights from houses and smaller buildings in the residential areas.

BEFORE

123221112_10158705122203749_747240776236

AFTER

123048649_10158705122553749_279919366983

Shots like this are great examples of what to show Asobo so they can see clearly the difference that we're trying to make. Definitely post this on their forum, and if more users can share comparison images like this, then I'm sure it would help them. Because a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

4 hours ago, Farlis said:

No you didn't. You don't get hypoxia at 5000ft. You might get it at anything above 16.000 ft 😉

I wrote above 5000 6000 feet at night. and yes you can get way lover than 16000 ft. And how do I know it? I've been flying for 20 years and have seen healthy people get hypoxic  easily especially at night. 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Hmm but if I remember correctly, didn't that one user who did some image editing in that long thread over at the official forum on the night lighting being worse post release precisely come to the conclusion that the TAA in the release build "cut of" the glow of the light bulbs which caused the darker look, and the light bulb glow from his edited images look more akin to the after patch #5 look? Might have to dig up that thread again...

Though with the before and after patch #5 screenshot comparisons, I'm also preferring the more subtle before look a little bit more I think.

Edited by Honnli

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

38 minutes ago, captain420 said:

No it doesn't look like that, the 1st picture is more representative of how it looks realistically. Can't believe some of these people think that overexposed lights everywhere looks realistic. Seriously? And that picture of Cape Town as night looks nothing like real life either. Way too overexposed. Sigh. Seems like people here cannot agree on anything. If I were Asobo I'd be seriously frustrated with this whole night lighting issue. That looks more like a photo you would see shot by a professional photographer that was going on a postcard or something. They intentionally overexpose the lights to bring more attention and make it more dramatic, but that does not reflect how night lighting sitting on a plane looks from the real world. I question, have some of you even sat on a plane at night looking out the window while traveling? Especially during descent into different types of areas from urban to rural to see how the lighting really looks like?

Well, I flew at night last Saturday here in São Paulo, memory still fresh. Lights are overexposed in MSFS, but it's a huge improvoment from last build, there's no more yellow baked ground textures, draw distance is much higher and buildings and avenues now gets much more glowing lights than before.

imyj2f-5.png

4aba7f63827306fe4cd85c3fa9af82b3af14a6c8

This is what ASOBO fixed with this patch, it was horrible all around the world. 

Microsoft Flight Simulator 10_29_2020 2_26_30 PM

Aren't you going to say that this looks much better than before?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

imyj2f-5.png

It looks better in certain ways but not all. That 1st picture you posted is the night lit sepia texture that they finally fixed. That I agree with. It looks absolutely terrible and makes it look as though you're flying above a moon surface at night. So kudos to Asobo for getting that part right. However by addressing that issue that brought in some new issues with the night lighting in Update #5, and that's with the individual light orbs being overly exposed making it stand out like a sore thumb. I call it the X-Plane Pac-Man board effect and it doesn't look realistic whatsoever. They need to tone it down and make it look more like the previous version.

This is what the night lighting in X-Plane reminds me of:

166b79c76fef9b34d671574d4b7759e5.jpg

Edited by captain420

1 hour ago, Moria15 said:

capetown.jpg.c960ca4a9686b859878248a98129f946.jpg

Graham

Ugh real life is so ugly, when is God going to give us a good patch?

I kid I kid... but really stuff like this is completely subjective. I think the all around approach is to give us sliders that can make the lights soft or more vibrant on the flick of a wrist. 

• Like 1

Tyson Rose

3 hours ago, Riaan77077 said:

Herewith before the update and after the update screenshots of the same scene in Cape Town at night. The before the update night lighting was definitely more subtle in residential areas which is now overpowered by many white lights which in my view detracts from the overall immersive feeling in the sim. The after update night lighting almost gives the impression of a Christmas tree with all its white lights and no soft lights from houses and smaller buildings in the residential areas.

BEFORE

123221112_10158705122203749_747240776236

AFTER

123048649_10158705122553749_279919366983

The second one is so much better.. You just need to add atmospherics to it... You don't have unlimiited visibility in real life... so  add visvility of 100 miles with a layer of fog or other atmospherics. We do not want Asobo to bake in atmospherics to the night lighting so we get just 1 day's night ligthing.

Asobo should give is visibility parameter..from 50 feet-200 miles range visibility parameter is needed in weather settings.

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Shouldn't the visibility factor come from and be based on real world weather data? Why should we need to dial that in?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Shouldn't the visibility factor come from and be based on real world weather data? Why should we need to dial that in?

True..if you are using real or Live weather..for presets we need visibility settings. Folks are using preset of "clear weather with no clouds...meaning unlimited visibility and then complaing lights are too jarring. WTH! Demanding Asobo to bake in some atmospherics to the night lighting. That is an insane Ask

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I'm falling into the lights were better pre-update.

This is after....there is no way I should be able to count the individual streetlight lights from 15-20 miles in the distance...with no appreciable fading with distance....unless I'm wearing NVG. 🙂 

ioz13n.jpg

I'm starting to think AS is falling victim to a well known, often fatal phenomenon known in the aviation world as PIO.

They seem to see our requests to fix something, then waaay overshoot the mark, then next patch, violently over-correct, and thus starts the PIO (in this case...Publisher Induced Oscillations).  😉

I felt they've done that thus far on weather, visibility, and now night lighting (their may be more).

I hope that if they try to find the median solution to night lighting, they don't overshoot again.  I think they should have a robust option panel to adjust your own variables in this arena. 
Unfortunately this is a core issue that can't really be helped with addons I feel....for example I have a lot of options in my NVidia control panel to adjust brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc...but that would not fix the fact that I see individual light sources in a line of them just as well at 1 mile as I do at 20 or so.

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I'm falling into the lights were better pre-update.

This is after....there is no way I should be able to count the individual streetlight lights from 15-20 miles in the distance...with no appreciable fading with distance....unless I'm wearing NVG. 🙂 

ioz13n.jpg

I'm starting to think AS is falling victim to a well known, often fatal phenomenon known in the aviation world as PIO.

They seem to see our requests to fix something, then waaay overshoot the mark, then next patch, violently over-correct, and thus starts the PIO (in this case...Publisher Induced Oscillations).  😉

I felt they've done that thus far on weather, visibility, and now night lighting (their may be more).

I hope that if they try to find the median solution to night lighting, they don't overshoot again.  I think they should have a robust option panel to adjust your own variables in this arena. 
Unfortunately this is a core issue that can't really be helped with addons I feel....for example I have a lot of options in my NVidia control panel to adjust brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc...but that would not fix the fact that I see individual light sources in a line of them just as well at 1 mile as I do at 20 or so.

No, the lighting is better in the city.  The lighting is not good in rural areas.  Asobo improved the lighting in cities. The problem is, in rural areas, the amount of lighting on roads is also dense.  So what Asobo needs to do is reduce the density of lighting in rural areas.

This is what Chicago looks like at night: 

You can see that MSFS in cities looks a lot like this Chicago video now, which is a step in the right direction.  The problem are the rural areas in MSFS.  So if Asobo fixes the rural areas, the lighting should be pretty good in MSFS.  I don't think Asobo should undo what they did for city lighting because city lighting looks so much more realistic and better now.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Thats taken with a video camera not with your real eyes. Those lights are over exposed and doesn't look like that at all. Stop trying to pass these videos of night flights taken with a camera as being realistic, because it clearly isn't.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, abrams_tank said:

No, the lighting is better in the city.  The lighting is not good in rural areas. 

Good response....and now that I look at it I agree....however, like I mentioned as a PIO, making Cities too good (if there is such a thing), now has a very negative impact on rural areas, and if we take the overall percentage of each with respect to the entire world, well....you know. 🙂

I wonder if they even had "beta testers" for this patch making that same observation, and decided to go full steam ahead with better cities, wait for the backlash for the rural crowd, and will adjust accordingly on the next patch?  If so....let's hope they don't go PIO again, or it may take the next 10 patches to get it settled on a release that can appease the majority of simmers. 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg