Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

NIght lighting is fatal- Asobo please read

9 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Here is a comparison before and after the patch:Before AfterOn the second one you can see the highway lights 30 miles away and I think the lights are too strong. For me the first one is more realistic.

What do you guys think?

From a long distance they don't look too bad, but still too much white and not enough amber. But it is when you are on top of them that they become just way over the top. The previous lighting had subtlety, perhaps a concept that is lost on Asobo's lighting crew.

• Like 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Just tried night over LA basin. WOW it is bright! Looks like they turned the whites intensity up? Ocean blue/black looks a bit odd and rivers were sparkly at times. 

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 minute ago, robert young said:

From a long distance they don't look too bad, but still too much white and not enough amber. But it is when you are on top of them that they become just way over the top. The previous lighting had subtlety, perhaps a concept that is lost on Asobo's lighting crew.

Paris is the city of lights..apparently Asobo thinks the rest of the world should be too..

A lot of modern outdoor lights are 'cut off' lights that only cast light down - this mitigates light pollution of the night sky and also avoids blinding people with spots in their eyes. 

The 'before' lights look a lot more light what I would expect with cut off lights.  Now it's like a city full of bare bulbs.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Here is some vids to compare (both vids are made made different times)

1. External mounted GoPro (older generation)

2. Go Pro ( newer generation inside wide angle 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Also remember that in real life due lack of oxygen (hypoxia) especially at night lights presented themselves dimmer.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

47 minutes ago, robert young said:

To be fair, the previous lighting was done by the same crew.  They did this because the community complained about it.  One of these days, Asobo will realize that the community doesn’t know what it wants...

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

I think the overall night lighting is hard to get right especially as seen from different altitudes.  The sepia mask is great as you should see that glow out in the distance and I'm happy they adjusted that so you don't see it right underneath of you. Much better in this version! One thing missing in the sim is the car headlights/tailights as these are very noticeable on the roads beneath you.  Many roads are not fully lit like all the sims tend to do but you see the cars.  I do recall X-PLane having good car headlights but it has been a while since I used it.  That is one thing that could be improved at some point along with reducing the lighting on many of the roads, especially rural roads.  Also...the airport lights really need to be toned down!! Maybe it's just an issue of being able to do omnidirectional lighting/??  Many would be surprised how hard it is to see airports at night!!  Unless you are lined up on approach the airports are hard to pick out in the surrounding light at many of the busy airports.  You usually have to look for the dark area!!

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 3

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

AHHHHHHHHHHH GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  just give us a sliding night lightng option and let us tailor it to our own liking...  ok problem solved..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Also remember that in real life due lack of oxygen (hypoxia) especially at night lights presented themselves dimmer.

lol how high are you flying? 

1 hour ago, EmaRacing said:

People don't realise that nights are NOT PITCH BLACK, especially in open fields, try to get out sometimes, and see how the world looks!

I wish I'd known that when my girlfriend and I were walking along a wide unlit country road from Goodwood Revival (September) in the south of England 2 years ago, trying to find our way to the bus stop. We quite literally couldn't see anything below tree level without my phone's torch function! No mist, no fog, no rain. If the moon's obscured by cloud, it's dark alright. Perhaps you meant nights are not pitch black under clear skies?

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Just now, ShawnG said:

One of these days, Asobo will realize that the community doesn’t know what it wants...

True. It must be difficult trying to please everybody. But I don't quite understand why anyone complained so much in the first place, apart from the light poles missing. It might not have been perfect, but it was very attractive and not dissimilar to real lighting. Now, to me it looks like something from a time when computers ran at 1 ghz and graphics cards had a total of 5 megabytes of memory.

• Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

There were two changes;

1. the night lighting is visible to 30,000 feet instead of just 10,000

2. the lights on roads previously had a random chance of being enabled depending on building density etc, now they are guaranteed, hence all the little backroads in the middle of nowhere that are now lit up by street lights

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, robert young said:

True. It must be difficult trying to please everybody. But I don't quite understand why anyone complained so much in the first place, apart from the light poles missing. It might not have been perfect, but it was very attractive and not dissimilar to real lighting. Now, to me it looks like something from a time when computers ran at 1 ghz and graphics cards had a total of 5 megabytes of memory.

I think it looked fine down low.  Most of the folks complaining were airliner flyers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1